Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 12:41 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid honda is forgetting what gave NSX the big sale numbers

its the mid engine platform and the lightweight that provided the awesome handling that is well known for

by going front engine and V10 on that thing, its not going to be the NSX replacement but a completely separate philosophy to go at building a sports car

stick with mid engine and compete with audi R8!
R8 is coming out with V10, the new NSX could bring out a V8 version and a V10 one too
Old 02-22-07, 01:38 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one of those on the NSX forum that want the mid engine. Heck, I don't even care if it has a V10 or not. I can live with a high strung, high HP V6 or V8, but I want the mid engine. That is why another NSX, or maybe A8, or Cayman would be my only other choices. Honda forgot that most of the NSX buyers bought the NSX not only because of its performance during its hay day, but because of its mid engine configuration. I speak only for myself, but I know other NSX owners agree, if we could buy a Ferrari F430 or Lamborghini we would. Honda gave us our semi affordable dream mid engine car with the NSX. Most NSX owners could have bought a Viper if we wanted a monster front engine V10 car, or we could have bought a Corvette Z06 if we wanted great front engine RWD performance. The appeal of the NSX was its exotic like looks, performance, and 2 seater mid engine. If we wanted a front engine GT we would have bought something else.

If you read what most NSX owners are saying, they would choose the LF-A over the AASCC from what was shown by Honda. However, most will choose an Audi R8, Cayman, or simply step up to Ferrari than buy the LF-A. Why? because the LF-A is still front engine RWD.
Old 02-22-07, 06:33 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Honda’s top management isn’t happy with either car, so we hear, so it’s back to the drawing board, again, at least in terms of how the finished car will look, although the basic proportions and front-engined V-10 package and all-wheel drive layout will stay…
Front engine and AWD? No thanks.
Old 02-22-07, 08:52 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

The LF-A is front mid engine, rear transaxle. The engine does not need to be behind the driver in this case. It should have great distribution.
Old 02-22-07, 08:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
That is very good news that it is going back to the drawing bored but unfortunately it seems like the front engine and awd remains. That concept got little to no love especially from previous NSX owners and they need to start over from scratch. They can still give a front engine sports car a very appealing exotic look but the original mid engine fans will still be dissapointed although a little less if it turns out looking really good.

As for that 150K price tag I don't think Acura is going to price it that high. If anything it should be priced around the same or lower then the previous NSX since it will be a less expensive front engine layout that can be shared with other lower priced models and it most likely will not be handbuilt out of aluminum. I don't think Lexus could sell a car at a 150K and I am sure they want the LFA to be profitable as well as adding prestige to the brand so I have a feeling they will price it to where it won't be considered shocking and way overpriced like around 95K-115K.

Most of the people on the NSX sites I saw were saying they would look at or get the mid engine Audi R8 or New Lotus Espirit for a replacement for their NSX not the Lexus LFA as the LFA is front engined and most likely pretty heavy and more of a GT car then pure bred sports car like the NSX, R8, and Espirit. Acura still may build a mid engine true NSX replacement in the future but it appears the next high performance car from Acura will be front engine v10 with most likely a advance version of shawd. Hopefully this new frwd platform will spawn some great new models. I hope the redesign does not set them back more time because people are getting tired of waiting for the car and hearing all these rumours and delays.
1-I repeat, its front MID engine
2-The weight target is 2600-2800lbs...even if it misses it, its NOT going to be "pretty heavy"
3-the R8 is NOT a pure bred sports car. Its a softer sprung, less powerful, more docile Gallardo
Old 02-22-07, 09:11 AM
TheGambler
Rookie

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
just give us the HSC concept
+1, IMO, the HSC would be a fantastic replacement for the NSX.
Old 02-22-07, 12:29 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I loved the HSC concept and so did everyone else. This new NSX is crap, its like selling a sports sedan/sports car with only an automatic, just stupid (ahem Lexus).

I want to see another cheap mid-engine car like the MR2 Turbo or Lotus Elise, just a small displacement turbo car for the masses. But if they are going to do a supercar, you need to make it mid-engine, a V10 isn't even necessary.
Old 02-22-07, 01:36 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
just give us the HSC concept
Yep, I thought it looked great and was when they said that wasn't it. Then I was when I saw the monstrosity they brought instead.

Times a ticken away Acura!
Old 02-22-07, 02:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
2-The weight target is 2600-2800lbs...even if it misses it, its NOT going to be "pretty heavy"
3-the R8 is NOT a pure bred sports car. Its a softer sprung, less powerful, more docile Gallardo
I hear what you are saying. Even the S2000 can technically be considered a mid engine. However, front mid engine is still not in the same spirit. There is just something really cool about having the engine in behind your head. Performance wise I think the LF-A and probably even the Acura will be one heck of a performance car, but it is just not the same. Sometimes that cool factor is what makes the car special and exotic for many people.
Old 02-22-07, 02:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

btw, I read that Acura actually lost big $ on the NSX project, it didn't recoup the development costs...maybe this is why they're hesitating this time?
Old 02-22-07, 03:41 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

It's a good thing. Whatever I've seen so far about the next NSX.. it is ... I am glad that they are going back to the drawing board and hopefully they will go back to the mid engine layout.

front MID or whatever fancy name they want to call it... the engine is still at the front. MID engine layout is superior in many different ways especially weight transfer during acceleration, deceleration and handling. Also.. the cool factor..
Old 02-22-07, 03:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
btw, I read that Acura actually lost big $ on the NSX project, it didn't recoup the development costs...maybe this is why they're hesitating this time?
The figure is for the entire NSX project including the NSX exclusive (At that time) brand new factory build to manufacture the NSX. It was never meant to be a money maker though. It was to be a Halo car and prove that Japan and Honda could actually build such a car. When you think about what the NSX itself did for the automotive industry and Exotic Italian Car industry and think it is a huge success.
Old 02-22-07, 03:54 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I hear what you are saying. Even the S2000 can technically be considered a mid engine. However, front mid engine is still not in the same spirit. There is just something really cool about having the engine in behind your head. Performance wise I think the LF-A and probably even the Acura will be one heck of a performance car, but it is just not the same. Sometimes that cool factor is what makes the car special and exotic for many people.
Listen. As far as I'm concerned, a sports car's engine belongs behind the driver. That I will agree with. Yes, MR setups are superior to pretty much every other drivetrain layout. However, Mid and rear engine designs demand a level of skill not often found in regular car customers. Like it or not, with the weight behind the driver, once you loose it, its either no coming back or just barely scraping through. Please see the pics of the amount of wrecked exotics spread all over the web. I'm sure Lexus doesn't want this, especially NOT with what is to be their flagship vehicle. Ever stop to think why Toyota never bothered to put the 2ZZ in the MR-S? Toyota/Lexus is NOT Ferrari or Porsche and will not take on the liability or perception that these moves implicate.

As long as they get the weight distribution and handling right, I'm not gonna rag on them for not putting the engine in the back. It would be nice, but it ain't happening and I refuse to crucify them for it. Nobody critiques Ferrari for the 599, nor Aston for all its models.

I would argue though that if the NSX isn't mid-engined, they might as well call it by another name.
Old 02-22-07, 04:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Listen. As far as I'm concerned, a sports car's engine belongs behind the driver. That I will agree with. Yes, MR setups are superior to pretty much every other drivetrain layout. However, Mid and rear engine designs demand a level of skill not often found in regular car customers. Like it or not, with the weight behind the driver, once you loose it, its either no coming back or just barely scraping through. Please see the pics of the amount of wrecked exotics spread all over the web. I'm sure Lexus doesn't want this, especially NOT with what is to be their flagship vehicle. Ever stop to think why Toyota never bothered to put the 2ZZ in the MR-S? Toyota/Lexus is NOT Ferrari or Porsche and will not take on the liability or perception that these moves implicate.

As long as they get the weight distribution and handling right, I'm not gonna rag on them for not putting the engine in the back. It would be nice, but it ain't happening and I refuse to crucify them for it. Nobody critiques Ferrari for the 599, nor Aston for all its models.

I would argue though that if the NSX isn't mid-engined, they might as well call it by another name.
I agree. Although, I had absolutely no experience with mid engine cars (A brief drive in the G1 MR2 1987 model I believe was all I had) and I never had any trouble driving my NSX around. I will say this though that if I ever took it to the limit on a track I'd probably need to learn a lot more skills. On the street though even high spirited driving it is a breeze IMHO to drive. I've read posts on NSX prime of people loosing the rear end around a corner on the street so I am fully aware and mindful of the potential snap oversteer. I drove mine daily for a time and even in heavy rain I had no problems. I always had good tires though since I changed rims packages a lot so tire wear was never a problem for me.

Anyway, Ferrari doesn't get criticized for the front engine car because those that want the mid engine car have other choices within the brand with the F430. I'm all for Honda making a RL type Coupe which the AASCC could fit in that position, but if you are thinking about selling a sports car for over $100K Honda should stick to what put them on the exotic sports car map to begin with rather than try to compete in a new market segment. Honda now has credibility in the mid engine sports car market with the NSX even if sales itself were not up to par. The world knows what Honda can build if they wanted to.

Too me, it seems like Honda wants to enter a market segment that they never been in before. At least with the NSX they have been there and know what it takes to compete in that segment.

When the NSX first came out it was guys like me who were dreaming of owning a Ferrari or Lamborghini asking ourselves why do I need to buy a Ferrari when I can buy this NSX for half the price? I propose this question. Will buyers be asking themselves why should I buy this Astin Martin when I can but this Acura? Or will they be asking themselves why should I buy this Acura when I can buy this Astin martin, Mercedes CL, BMW M6, or Lexus LF-A all for about the same price. Heck for $150K many might just end up buying a used F430.

PS. One of the reasons why I'm so disappointed in Honda not making another mid engine NSX like sports car is because I am fully aware I can't afford to by my dream car Ferrari or Lamborghini. I could come up with enough money to buy a used Ferrari, but I couldn't drive it since I can't afford the maintenance. I can afford an NSX like or Porsche Cayman type mid engine car and its maintenance though. With Honda leaving the reliable affordable mid engine sports car market that only leaves one choice left. The Audi R8 is also a little pricey, but it is still more attainable than a $250K Ferrari. Honda had a commercial dubbed the "Power of Dreams". Well, Honda pretty much pulled the dream away from many potential buyers that were in my position, or simply NSX owners and admirers in general.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-22-07 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 05:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes I know front MID is a very good compromise for a front engine sports car but it still has the engine in front of the driver under the hood not behind the driver. To many hardcore sports car enthusiasts rear engined is the only configuration they want in their exotic sports car even if a front mid is almost as good. These people buy the car because the car was designed with the engine in the rear from the start which they feel means there were no compromises or cost cutting when designing and building that car for its purpose. To these people it does not matter what the weight distrubution is on the car or how far back the engine is behind the front axle, it is still front engined if the engine is in front of the driver under the hood. That is why many of the fans of the NSX are very dissapointed Acura changed the formula that they loved so much about the car which was having the engine in the rear like a proper exotic. That is also why the Lexus LFA is not really on their radar either as an alternative or replacement for the NSX because it will have pretty much the same front engine configuration as this new dissapointing NSX or ASC or whatever they call it making it more of a high performance GT car and not as unique then an all out mid engine exotic sports car with the engine in the back.

I seriously doubt the LFA will weigh around 2600-2800lbs or even come close to that. With a v-10 powerplant and everything beefed up to handle that power and performance as well as meeting safety and crash standards and having all the options people expect from a Lexus flagship I would say it would more likely would weigh about 3400-3600lbs and even that is impressive for that kind of car. Most of its competition weighs closer and even over 3900lbs. For Lexus to have a car like this weigh under 3000lbs means it would need alot of carbon fiber, magnessium, titanium, aluminum and other lightweight very expensive materials which would make the car cost a fortune-well over 250K. If Lexus pulls off the car weighing 2600-2800lbs or even close to it and costing less then 160K I will be extremely impressed and would have difficulty believing it.

From visiting different Acura sites like NSX prime the Audi R8 was one of the most popular cars the members were saying was the car they would look into to replace their older NSX since the new NSX is not going to offer what they want which is having the engine in back and be somewhat affordable. They were also talking about the new Lotus Espirit, used Ferrari 360/f430, and the Lamborgini Gallardo as possible replacements. Very few memtioned the LFA to replace their NSX since it has the engine upfront.

Quick Reply: Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?