Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

ANOTHER shelved NSX project?

News like this is getting to be more old hat than my worn-out baseball caps.
Old 02-22-07, 05:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree. Although, I had absolutely no experience with mid engine cars (A brief drive in the G1 MR2 1987 model I believe was all I had) and I never had any trouble driving my NSX around. I will say this though that if I ever took it to the limit on a track I'd probably need to learn a lot more skills. On the street though even high spirited driving it is a breeze IMHO to drive. I've read posts on NSX prime of people loosing the rear end around a corner on the street so I am fully aware and mindful of the potential snap oversteer. I drove mine daily for a time and even in heavy rain I had no problems. I always had good tires though since I changed rims packages a lot so tire wear was never a problem for me.

Anyway, Ferrari doesn't get criticized for the front engine car because those that want the mid engine car have other choices within the brand with the F430. I'm all for Honda making a RL type Coupe which the AASCC could fit in that position, but if you are thinking about selling a sports car for over $100K Honda should stick to what put them on the exotic sports car map to begin with rather than try to compete in a new market segment. Honda now has credibility in the mid engine sports car market with the NSX even if sales itself were not up to par. The world knows what Honda can build if they wanted to.

Too me, it seems like Honda wants to enter a market segment that they never been in before. At least with the NSX they have been there and know what it takes to compete in that segment.

When the NSX first came out it was guys like me who were dreaming of owning a Ferrari or Lamborghini asking ourselves why do I need to buy a Ferrari when I can buy this NSX for half the price? I propose this question. Will buyers be asking themselves why should I buy this Astin Martin when I can but this Acura? Or will they be asking themselves why should I buy this Acura when I can buy this Astin martin, Mercedes CL, BMW M6, or Lexus LF-A all for about the same price. Heck for $150K many might just end up buying a used F430.

PS. One of the reasons why I'm so disappointed in Honda not making another mid engine NSX like sports car is because I am fully aware I can't afford to by my dream car Ferrari or Lamborghini. I could come up with enough money to buy a used Ferrari, but I couldn't drive it since I can't afford the maintenance. I can afford an NSX like or Porsche Cayman type mid engine car and its maintenance though. With Honda leaving the reliable affordable mid engine sports car market that only leaves one choice left. The Audi R8 is also a little pricey, but it is still more attainable than a $250K Ferrari. Honda had a commercial dubbed the "Power of Dreams". Well, Honda pretty much pulled the dream away from many potential buyers that were in my position, or simply NSX owners and admirers in general.

Very good post CK6Speed
Old 02-22-07, 05:16 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think maybe I was mis-understood.??? Most of what I had to say pertained to the LF-A, NOT the NSX.

If Honda want to put the engine of the NSX upfront, forget about it, i'm not interested.
Old 02-23-07, 01:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think maybe I was mis-understood.??? Most of what I had to say pertained to the LF-A, NOT the NSX.

If Honda want to put the engine of the NSX upfront, forget about it, i'm not interested.
I see. My bad
Old 02-23-07, 02:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

How hard it is to design and build something like this? Every one and their mother with photo shop can design something like this in their spare time but Honda. It is not perfect, but it looks so much better as a mid engine

Old 02-23-07, 06:11 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

R8 photoshop for teh loose? :P

Not bad tho...looks better than both the ASC concept and the R8
Old 02-23-07, 06:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I am so curious about design concepts. When I do focus groups with people, one comment I often hear back is "did the people asking anyone what they thought before they designed _____ project/item/product"
Old 02-23-07, 11:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
How hard it is to design and build something like this? Every one and their mother with photo shop can design something like this in their spare time but Honda. It is not perfect, but it looks so much better as a mid engine

That looks really good, alot better then the original concept. I agree when I see these actual concepts and what companies actually build I wonder if anybody just stands back looks at it to see if it really looks good or at least get a second opinion from the people who buy the cars. I am not trying to sound arrogant but I honestly could draw or make much more appealing concepts then what is being put out today. I used to always draw cars especially future cars or what something I would like to own and when people would see what I had drawn they were very impressed and said you should design cars. The problem is car companies and designers generally don't hire car enthusiasts who love cars and draw and come up with beautiful good looking cars but yuppie art students who drive predominately drive Volkswagen Beatles and Jettas from other design fields that they were very successful in like people who excelled in firms designing furniture, ipods, cell phones, computers, toys, etc. Many of these people who are hired and designing cars are not car enthusiasts at all trying to make something that looks good but they are simply trying to do something new, different, trendy, what management who generally has very bad taste in cars will say is acceptable, and what will ensure they keep their jobs. Many of these designers did not start out wanting a job designing cars and worked in other fields before getting a car design job. That is why you get all these corny looking mini cube cars and odd shapes at autoshows that people just look at and say its interesting but ugly and they would never buy or own it because these designers are taking that design language they were taught in general design schools and learned from designing cell phones, furniture, ipods, etc and applying it to cars.

Some of the illustrators on Road and Track, Car and Driver, Automobile, etc come up with some beautiful sketches of future cars and their pictures look so much better then the actual designs because they are car enthusiasts and are just trying to make something nice that they would buy. These are the people who should be designing cars. Maybe Acura should ask for some people to submit some drawings of what they want in the new NSX because the designers don't seem to have a clue.

Last edited by UDel; 02-23-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 11:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

This was just some sketch I found on the internet that would look great as a new NSX. Acura should hire the person who did this instead of the current NSX designers.
Attached Thumbnails -4723sketch05-med.jpg  
Old 02-23-07, 12:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both of these pics look futuristic and yet retaining some design lineage from the original, nice!
Old 02-23-07, 03:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Please, forget NSX. Honda doesn't even have a half decent V6 engine by todays standard, yet they are talking a supercar V10. Phleeeeeeeez.
Old 02-23-07, 05:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Please, forget NSX. Honda doesn't even have a half decent V6 engine by todays standard, yet they are talking a supercar V10. Phleeeeeeeez.
Honda doesn't have a half decent v6? Honda has one of the smoothest most reliable fuel efficient v-6 out there that has only recently been outpowered by the newer larger Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, and Infiniti engines. It also get better real world fuel economy then its competition. Many people complain the IS350 and especially the G35 engines are not very fuel efficient and not getting the manufactures mpg claims. The TL engine is a fairly old 3.2 liter SOHC unit that still compares very well to the newer 3.5 liter engines from Toyota and Nissan. The TL-S 3.5 liter engine makes 286hp which is only 20hp shy of Lexus brand new and Infiniti's recently upgraded DOHC engines. In the Road and Track comparison of the G35, TL-S, and IS350 they said although the TL engine was not as powerful it was by far the smoothest and they were very impressed with it. The 3 year old SOHC RL engine makes 290hp which is more then what most of the competition makes. Honda is about to put out a new V-6 and it will be just as powerful if not more then all of its competition. Then you have the amazing and most powerful NA 4 cylinder in the Honda S2000 and that car and engine is 7 years old. The TSX 4 cylinder makes 205 SAE horsepower, what other companies have 200+ hp NA 4 cylinder engines? Don't know where you get that Honda doesn't have halfway decent engines by todays standards.

Honda is a engine company that makes what many consider the best automotive, marine, aircraft , motorcyle, lawnmower, etc engines in the world. Their engines are often considered the benchmark that other companies try to imitate. They are fully capable of making a superb v-10 powerplant to put in a high performance car.

Last edited by UDel; 02-23-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 10:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

lawnmower engines.....

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROFl
Old 02-24-07, 11:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Honda doesn't have a half decent v6? Honda has one of the smoothest most reliable fuel efficient v-6 out there that has only recently been outpowered by the newer larger Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, and Infiniti engines. It also get better real world fuel economy then its competition. Many people complain the IS350 and especially the G35 engines are not very fuel efficient and not getting the manufactures mpg claims. The TL engine is a fairly old 3.2 liter SOHC unit that still compares very well to the newer 3.5 liter engines from Toyota and Nissan. The TL-S 3.5 liter engine makes 286hp which is only 20hp shy of Lexus brand new and Infiniti's recently upgraded DOHC engines. In the Road and Track comparison of the G35, TL-S, and IS350 they said although the TL engine was not as powerful it was by far the smoothest and they were very impressed with it. The 3 year old SOHC RL engine makes 290hp which is more then what most of the competition makes. Honda is about to put out a new V-6 and it will be just as powerful if not more then all of its competition. Then you have the amazing and most powerful NA 4 cylinder in the Honda S2000 and that car and engine is 7 years old. The TSX 4 cylinder makes 205 SAE horsepower, what other companies have 200+ hp NA 4 cylinder engines? Don't know where you get that Honda doesn't have halfway decent engines by todays standards.

Honda is a engine company that makes what many consider the best automotive, marine, aircraft , motorcyle, lawnmower, etc engines in the world. Their engines are often considered the benchmark that other companies try to imitate. They are fully capable of making a superb v-10 powerplant to put in a high performance car.
Honda/Acura engines are behind thier main competitors - Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti. Thats not too optimistic for a company that claims itself to be an "engine company". Who are they trying to compete with, Ford?
Old 02-24-07, 03:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Honda/Acura engines are behind thier main competitors - Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti. Thats not too optimistic for a company that claims itself to be an "engine company". Who are they trying to compete with, Ford?
When you look at what a company can build you have to look at what they do in motor sport racing. They do just fine as an engine builder with their V10 and V8 engines in racing. Now, we know what they can build, but the question is if they will actually build it for their consumer market. I will agree that the consumer V6 Honda engines are lagging currently. You have to take into account that those engines are over 10 years old in design though. They are due for an engine design change soon. Heck, even the GS430 engine is outdated and lagging behind by todays standards. That engine will be all new, but it really was based on a 15+ year old design. If/when Honda releases a new V6 or V8 engine design we will have to see how it stacks up against the competition. I'm sure Honda wont use the J series V6 engines forever.

Quick Reply: Japan Report: Acura’s NSX Seen Headed Back To The Drawing Board ?