Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D #1. 328i sedan vs #2. G35 sedan comparo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 11:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazinger
Camry is for Taxi's, BMW's are for leaders.
Prime example of the attitude that sells BMW badges. BMW is for the type of "Leaders" that need to compensate for something.
Old 02-24-07, 11:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
Och and others, this thread is about the 328/G35 and IS350. There is no reason to bring in the Camry or anything else that may turn this into yet another "BMW Bashing" thread.

Your opinion on C&D's review has been heard, no reason to inflame further.
Actually its about 328 and G35 only to be correct.
Old 02-24-07, 12:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To say the review is interesting would be an understatement.

I would take a G35 over a 328 anyday. Of course a 330 is different, but to compare the G35 to a 328 is flattering to the 328 only as it is not in the same league performance wise unless all they cared about was comparing price points which would be a major shift for C&D as they cared less about price in the past when comparing Bimmers to other cars.
Old 02-24-07, 12:42 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All BMW needs to do is excel in a single area to get the nod from C&D editors, even if it is lacking in every other aspect. And in cases where it doesn't excel in any tangable area, C&D will throw in the "gotta have it factor"
Old 02-24-07, 12:45 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
To say the review is interesting would be an understatement.

I would take a G35 over a 328 anyday. Of course a 330 is different, but to compare the G35 to a 328 is flattering to the 328 only as it is not in the same league performance wise unless all they cared about was comparing price points which would be a major shift for C&D as they cared less about price in the past when comparing Bimmers to other cars.
Ya I thought about that too, but I think the price difference between the 335i and G35 is just too big for them to brush off. In the past the 330i was ~$5k or so more than G35 comparably equipped, which was a margin people could probably overlook. Now the 335i is ~10k more than a G35, and when you're talking about $40-$50k cars I don't think anyone can overlook that. So the 328i is really the only other option to test. I think with the 335i they might start comparing it upwards in price (S4, etc...) rather than down.

I agree, I'd take a G35 over a 328i. I don't think the 328i was "lacking in every other aspect" though. It has a less powerful engine, less standard features and more expensive options. It also has (in their opinion) a better suspension, better steering, less cabin noise, a smoother engine... I think most of us can agree we'd take the G35, and that the C&D guys nitpicked the refinement thing too much, but it isn't like the 328i has nothing on the G35.
Old 02-24-07, 07:47 PM
RiceMaster
Rookie

If C/D used the 335, then G35 would win.

When C/D says the BMW is more refine, they really mean the Bimmer has inferior driving dynamics.
Old 02-24-07, 08:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RiceMaster
If C/D used the 335, then G35 would win.

When C/D says the BMW is more refine, they really mean the Bimmer has inferior driving dynamics.
BMW would still win even if they use 323, or even 318 or even 301 with 100cc motor. lol
Old 02-24-07, 11:56 PM
LexFather

Guys its just an opinion of the magazine. Its not the 11th commandment.

Old 02-24-07, 11:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guys its just an opinion of the magazine. Its not the 11th commandment.

I'm so proud of you Mike....
Old 02-25-07, 12:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999

I'm so proud of you Mike....
lol, I must be getting wise hanging around you guys with cars I want

Old 02-25-07, 07:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
Ya I thought about that too, but I think the price difference between the 335i and G35 is just too big for them to brush off. In the past the 330i was ~$5k or so more than G35 comparably equipped, which was a margin people could probably overlook. Now the 335i is ~10k more than a G35, and when you're talking about $40-$50k cars I don't think anyone can overlook that. So the 328i is really the only other option to test. I think with the 335i they might start comparing it upwards in price (S4, etc...) rather than down.

I agree, I'd take a G35 over a 328i. I don't think the 328i was "lacking in every other aspect" though. It has a less powerful engine, less standard features and more expensive options. It also has (in their opinion) a better suspension, better steering, less cabin noise, a smoother engine... I think most of us can agree we'd take the G35, and that the C&D guys nitpicked the refinement thing too much, but it isn't like the 328i has nothing on the G35.
Better suspension? How? The G drives better than ANY 3 series, without sacrificing handling. And the steering? Come on, the G has 4 wheel steering, that the 3 series simply cant match. The smaller engine might be smoother, but you have to rev it constantly to get any power out, while the VQ makes goabs of torque down low, so there goes your smoothness and cabin noise.
Old 02-25-07, 08:34 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
The G drives better than ANY 3 series, without sacrificing handling.

We get it, you hate BMW; move on.
Old 02-25-07, 09:27 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Robarapta
LOL, have you visited Europe ?
If you are going to tell me about the MB and BMW taxis then spare it, I already know about that, just that the Camry is the official Taxi car here, and even without it being so it is still the car I hate the most.
Originally Posted by Och
Prime example of the attitude that sells BMW badges. BMW is for the type of "Leaders" that need to compensate for something.
The truth is sometimes hard to admit, I feel for you, but there are some who are at the top and others who will try to reach there.
Old 02-25-07, 10:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mazinger
If you are going to tell me about the MB and BMW taxis then spare it, I already know about that, just that the Camry is the official Taxi car here, and even without it being so it is still the car I hate the most.

The truth is sometimes hard to admit, I feel for you, but there are some who are at the top and others who will try to reach there.
So wait, somehow according to you, anyone whos at the top must be driving a BMW? Or maybe leasing a base 328 puts you right to the top? I guess those who are at the top must be dollar a bucket. Try talking about cars without bias.
Old 02-25-07, 11:03 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
So wait, somehow according to you, anyone whos at the top must be driving a BMW? Or maybe leasing a base 328 puts you right to the top? I guess those who are at the top must be dollar a bucket. Try talking about cars without bias.
Yes, but leasing is not buying, and I never said I drive a BMW.

There is no bias in saying a camry is better than a Merc-SLR

Quick Reply: C&D #1. 328i sedan vs #2. G35 sedan comparo