Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D #1. 328i sedan vs #2. G35 sedan comparo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 01:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The smaller engine might be smoother, but you have to rev it constantly to get any power out, while the VQ makes goabs of torque down low, so there goes your smoothness and cabin noise.
I dont know. I drove my buddy's G35 plenty of time and it doesn't seem to have that kind of torque that you're describing. It felt on par with the bmw 330i that I drove
Old 02-25-07, 02:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I just read that article...

BMW's always feel quicker than their HP rating would imply for one thing.
Another thing, the BMW weight balance is almost perfect.
Another, it's shorter and wider than the G35 which will feel better.
Finally, their inline six is just incredible. So smooth, great sound, revs effortlessly.

But on 'features' side the G35 is an INCREDIBLE bargain. The comparo is 'rigged' as usual, can't have the top 3 series, and the G35 has LSD and nav and still the same price as the Bimmer.

So Bimmer definitely has a magic chassis formula but it's expensive, the interior is horrible, and why they don't offer an LSD on the 'ultimate driving machine' is beyond me.

G35 wins: more power, LSD, more gadgets, better interior, better value
328i wins: better balance, more refined engine

We know what C&D cares about.
Old 02-25-07, 05:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
LOL ^^^^ this comes from someone who will never ever buy a German car because of their involvement with Hitler..
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with bias. There are many german cars that I love to death, for instance turbo Porsche's, A8L, old 740, old 8 series, mid 90ies S class to name a few. I just would never buy one because of thier history, but I never diss them, they are great cars. But a base frigging 3 series? That thing doesn't excel at anything, it's a prime example mediocrity, yet you have people praising it like it's truly special.
Old 02-25-07, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, please argue about the article, do not make personal attacks nor make assumptions about the forum.

Old 02-25-07, 07:01 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with bias. There are many german cars that I love to death, for instance turbo Porsche's, A8L, old 740, old 8 series, mid 90ies S class to name a few. I just would never buy one because of thier history, but I never diss them, they are great cars. But a base frigging 3 series? That thing doesn't excel at anything, it's a prime example mediocrity, yet you have people praising it like it's truly special.
Why would you buy a Japanese car than? They are the only nation that I know of that actually bombed US soil. My dad saw the Japanese planes flying over head dropping bombs on Pearl Harbor as a kid.

As for the BMW 328 in the article I can't find the link to read it but was it really a base BMW tested? Either way, the BMW does accell even in base trim over the G35 on some areas. Too me, the exterior styling is better than the G35. The steering feel and feedback is still better. The over all driving dynamics is better. Sure, the 328 is nothing outstandingly special, but neither is the G35. Both are good cars, and do certain things better than the other. I personally would choose a G35 over the 328 simply because of the more powerful engine in the G35. Otherwise I'd take the BMW 328 because its driving dynamics and feel more suites what I like from a sports sedan. If you were to ask me which car was better based on performance I'd choose the G35. If you ask me which car I prefer to drive I'd choose the BMW 328. If you asked me which car I'd choose to get me to point A to B without drama I'd probably choose an Civic or Corolla.
Old 02-25-07, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Why would you buy a Japanese car than? They are the only nation that I know of that actually bombed US soil. My dad saw the Japanese planes flying over head dropping bombs on Pearl Harbor as a kid.
Not to get too much offtopic, but I am Russian and 20 million of my people were killed by germans during WWII.

As for the BMW 328 in the article I can't find the link to read it but was it really a base BMW tested? Either way, the BMW does accell even in base trim over the G35 on some areas. Too me, the exterior styling is better than the G35. The steering feel and feedback is still better. The over all driving dynamics is better. Sure, the 328 is nothing outstandingly special, but neither is the G35. Both are good cars, and do certain things better than the other. I personally would choose a G35 over the 328 simply because of the more powerful engine in the G35. Otherwise I'd take the BMW 328 because its driving dynamics and feel more suites what I like from a sports sedan. If you were to ask me which car was better based on performance I'd choose the G35. If you ask me which car I prefer to drive I'd choose the BMW 328. If you asked me which car I'd choose to get me to point A to B without drama I'd probably choose an Civic or Corolla.
Well, exterior styling is subjective, I prefer G35 exterior styling. I don't know about the steering feel and feedback, I think it has more to do with being used to particulars car driving dynamics. If anything, G35 with LSD and 4 wheel steering defenately has a superior steering system. Then you have the torque, and G35 really feels like a powerful V8. And the new interior is just awesome. The 328 on the other hand is just too plain, with no excitement whatsoever.
Old 02-25-07, 08:37 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSD has nothing to do with steering. I agree, the G35 having LSD available is a big bonus, but it still doesn't have anything to do with steering.

4WAS is electronically boosted steering, if you like that sort of thing then yes, it's a good system. FWIW, the 328i also has an electronically boosted steering option, it's called Active Steer. Most enthusiasts seem to prefer the good ol' rack and pinion style steering. I definitely do; electronic steering feels too artificial to me. It's a matter of opinion on that front. RE: the rack and pinion, C&D seemed to prefer the 328i's.

"Compared with the BMW, wheel feel is a little artificial and heavy, and the tires impact bumps with a tad more bounce back through the body."

"The BMW outshines in other facets. The steering operates with light effort, but delivers copious road data. When a tire rolls into a depression, the wheel sags. When the cornering limit is near, it quivers."

Which is superior overall? I guess it depends on who you ask.

CK6speed - the 328i in the test was equipped with the sport suspension and the premium pack.
Old 02-25-07, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

As for the BMW 328 in the article I can't find the link to read it but was it really a base BMW tested?
Article page images here:

http://gtaindetail.com/fp/cd/cd1.jpg
http://gtaindetail.com/fp/cd/cd2.jpg
http://gtaindetail.com/fp/cd/cd3.jpg
http://gtaindetail.com/fp/cd/cd4.jpg
http://gtaindetail.com/fp/cd/cd5.jpg
Old 02-25-07, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are many german cars that I love to death, for instance turbo Porsche's, A8L, old 740, old 8 series, mid 90ies S class to name a few. I just would never buy one because of thier history,
To write off all these wonderful cars coming from a nation of 60M people most of whom weren't even born when the horrors of WWII occurred, is ABSURD.
Old 02-25-07, 08:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, LSD doesn't have to do directly with steering, but it certainly helps with cornering. And the active steering on the BMW is for the front wheels only, while G35 has four wheel steering. Infiniti is notorious for the 4 wheel steering feature, its also available on the M35/45, and it used to be available back in the days on a limited edition first gen Q45. The only other car to my knowledge that had a similar system was an early Honda Prelude. And then of course you have Chevy Silverado, but thats a different system with different purpose.
Old 02-25-07, 08:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
To write off all these wonderful cars coming from a nation of 60M people most of whom weren't even born when the horrors of WWII occurred, is ABSURD.
Depends on how you look at it. I'm just glad there's Lexus/Infiniti/Acura so that I can still enjoy wonderful cars.
Old 02-25-07, 09:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not to get too much offtopic, but I am Russian and 20 million of my people were killed by germans during WWII.
Well 'your people' have perpetrated some of the worst oppression on THEMSELVES and neighboring countries they took over by force to create the evil Soviet Union. I guess it's good then that Russia doesn't make any decent cars as you couldn't drive those either.

But anyway, sorry guys, off topic.

G35 sedan and 328i - both great cars. Which would I buy if I had to pick one? G35 sedan hands down.
Old 02-25-07, 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Depends on how you look at it. I'm just glad there's Lexus/Infiniti/Acura so that I can still enjoy wonderful cars.
But Japan has also perpetrated some of the worst atrocities on the world so I guess you can't buy those either.

Maybe you should buy something made in Canada.
Old 02-25-07, 09:20 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, if you want to make a thread in the offtopic/debate forum, go ahead, we can discuss it further.

But back to the topic - the important thing to remember here is - neither car is a sports car. They are both relatively heavy pigs trying to be sporty, and not intended for hardcore drivers. If you want a true sports car, try an Elise or S2K. As far as 328 and G35, they are intended mostly for drivers that like to have a little fun behind the wheel, and G35 simply provides a lot more fun and then some. To me, saying that 328 is superior to G35 is simply ridiculous.
Old 02-25-07, 10:55 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
saying that 328 is superior to G35 is simply ridiculous.
Hah... but saying the Camry is superior to the 328 is not ridiculous?

Quick Reply: C&D #1. 328i sedan vs #2. G35 sedan comparo