Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Picking an used car.....ur opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 07:25 AM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Picking an used car.....ur opinions

I am looking for an used car and I am coming down to two cars. 2001 BMW 540i 6-speed or 2001 Audi A6 4.2 AWD. The bimmer is faster, but it costs more & i'm worrying about BMW reliability. Audi A6 feels more solid with the AWD system, and i really like the bulky fender flares. Styling wise, i like both, but i think the Audi A6 is more unique and u don't see the A6 that often, especially a VIP one. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 02-25-07, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There are a number of other things to consider as well.

First, call your insurance company and get a premium quote for each car...I don't know your age or gender but if you are a fairly young male ( as the majority of CL posters are ) you will likely not have cheap insurance to start with. (married young man generally pay less then single ones). I would recommend GEICO for low rates and good service if you qualify.

Now...the cars themselves. The Audi would be much more flexible and sure-footed in bad weather, but snow, except on rare occasions, is not an issue in SoCal. Still, the Quattro system in Audis is beneficial even in the rain, which SoCal DOES get in the winter, and to a lesser extent on dry pavement. RWD BMW's are unbeatable on a dry surface if you want a crisp-driving car...BMW and Porsche power-steering systems are arguably the world's best.....but BMW's, except for the xi AWD models, generally don't cut it on wet and icy roads.

Then you have the cost of service and repairs....which you are likely to run into on both cars, especially with electronics. BMW shops are notoriously expensive ( though not quite as much as Mercedes and Porsche ); Audi shops less so. But the Quattro AWD in the Audi will need more service and inspections than the BMW RWD system...more driveshafts, differential fluid changes, boots to inspect and replace, etc.....

One thing going for the BMW, though. The 2001 you are looking at is, IMO, is one of the best 5-series models ever built...the generation right before Chris Bangle took over the 5-series, lowered build quality, and added I-Drive. I had a chance to drive a 540i of that generation not long ago (a colleague of mine bought a year-old 540i with the regular 5.4 V8 engine and the M-spec chassis...BMW built some of them that way) and it was a superb driver's car.
So if this is what you are looking for.....a driver's classic.......and all-weather capability is not important to you, go with the Bimmer.
If, however, you want (or need) better wet-weather capability, and are willing to give it more service than a RWD car would need, then get the Audi.

Whichever car you get, however, check it out as thrououghly as you can.....especially if it is not a Certified Used car. As I said above, nether car is cheap to repair if non-warranty problems are found.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-07 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 08:14 AM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

Thanks for the detail analysis

Well, I'm a 30 year-old male with a good driving record, so I don't think insurance is goin to be a concern.

The 6-speed 540i is a very fast car, it's faster than GS430 and it drives so fine.....each turn, and the brakes....it's something that a Lexus can't give me. And i love the look of the E39 5-series. The new E60 is just horrible.

Old 02-25-07, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPLINE
The 6-speed 540i is a very fast car, it's faster than GS430 and it drives so fine.....each turn, and the brakes....it's something that a Lexus can't give me. And i love the look of the E39 5-series. The new E60 is just horrible.
Agreed, the 540i is a superb driver's car, but the 5-series, even one of the better-built pre-Bangle ones, in general cannot equal the GS430 in reliability. If reliability is important to you, I'd look at a GS first.

However, if you want a stick (6-speed) the GS, of course, is out...it comes only with manumatic Sport-Shift.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-07 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 09:11 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPLINE
I am looking for an used car and I am coming down to two cars. 2001 BMW 540i 6-speed or 2001 Audi A6 4.2 AWD. The bimmer is faster, but it costs more & i'm worrying about BMW reliability. Audi A6 feels more solid with the AWD system, and i really like the bulky fender flares. Styling wise, i like both, but i think the Audi A6 is more unique and u don't see the A6 that often, especially a VIP one. Any thoughts? Thanks
If you're worried about the E39's reliability, why are you even considering the A6?
and whats a VIP A6?
Old 02-25-07, 11:45 AM
mbud
Driver

The 540 is a beautiful car and i'm a big fan of it, however the 5-series and 7-series models of that time are known for electrical problems, and i just wouldn't risk buying one because if you do come across these problems it becomes EXTREMELY expensive!

As for an audi... i dont support that decision at all! The only good audi is a new one! I find that after 4-5-6 years and a good number of KM's, everything begins to break. Audi's aren't built the way they used to be and they aren't as realiable anymore. I've had friends who owned audi's and began experiancing electrical problem after electrical problem... the problems just don't stop!

I'm not just saying this because i own a Lexus, and this is a Lexus forum. But if you're looking for something realiable and powerful then i would STRONGLY suggest you look into the GS430... i've driven it and it is a very impressive machine and you won't have to worry much about problems because most people have good things to say about it.

On the other hand, if you have money to spend and the chance of you paying for expensive repairs isn't a problem or worry for you, and it seems like you're a big supporter of the 540, then get it.
Old 02-25-07, 11:51 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Gs430....
Old 02-25-07, 12:03 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

You know instead of the Audi, you should look into the W210 E430 or even the E55 as well. Just my humble suggestion.
Old 02-25-07, 11:15 PM
VIPLINE
AKA ATSOU

Smile

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

Hmm......i thought Audi make better quality cars than BMW??? I look up the reviews and the A6 was rated a decent reliable car.

The reason why I don't put the GS430 on my list is I've owned two Lexus cars already and I just want to get an European car this time. Lexus for sure is the best quality brand in the world as well as the comforts......but nothing is perfect, when it comes down to driving excitement, Lexus is short on that.

I do have W210 E55 on my list.....maybe i should look more into that car

As for what's a VIP A6? Super fat lip 19-inch wheels in polished finish & drop the car 2-inch
Old 02-26-07, 04:56 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quality and Reliability are totally different things. I agree, Audis have really high quality. But reliability?

And I'm biased so just take this as an opinion, but I would take the W124 500E over a W210 E55 anyday. W124s were built when Mercedes did not put cost into factor, the W210 seems like they really took down the quality where the senses touch in the interior in comparison to a W124. W210s drive nice though, but the W124 still felt better IMO.
Old 02-26-07, 05:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check out Bimmerforums, or other BMW forums and look at the buying guide for the E39. From a mechanical point they are pretty solid. They do have issues with things like the plastic water pump fins breaking, or the radiator fan fins breaking, but if you take care of those items before hand as a preventative measure it is not a worry. I think after a certain year they changed to a metal water pump fin anyway. The bottom line is the E39 does have issues, but many of the issues can be taken care of before they become a problem. They are pretty well documented so you wont really be surprised. It is not like these cars will constantly leave to stranded somewhere.
Old 02-26-07, 06:33 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go with a 540I .. Check out bimmerfest.com also..Seems to be fewer problems regarding those cars than some profess. This is coming from someone who has owned a 2nd gen GS for 7 years well before I heard of CL, and my car had its share of problems as well others, with the 2nd gen Gs's. These cars are by no means a "trouble free" car. Just browse the 2nd gen section, and use the search feature for frequency of problems as well as for reference. When it comes down to it, this will be your car to drive & maintain. Go with what suits you, and don't jump the gun so to speak.