Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst 3 cars you've ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 04:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

1- Ford EXPLODER. Transfer cases and tranny's EXPLODE everytime.

2- Corvette. All the leaks and rattles expected in a GM product multiplied by 2.

3- Dodge ram 1500. Remember the FIRE recall?
Old 02-26-07, 05:04 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1988 Toyota Cressida... I hated it and it hated me.
Old 02-26-07, 05:22 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

1. a) Honda Civic .........Straight garbage. With terrible ricer exhaust note, no power steering and shaved door handles. I'd park it in the far end of parking lots. Not to avoid shopping cart door dings but avoid the humilition of getting out of it. It was my alternate while the Ranges were being repaired.

b) Jaguar XJ6...."owned" for 2 months. More problems than any Range Rover.
Old 02-26-07, 05:35 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. 1983 Ford Falcon XE: drove like crap, looked like crap, smelt like crap, build like crap, drank gas like there was no tomorrow. It had air-conditioning though, although it also smelt like crap.

2. 2005 Camry Grande: rattles, rattles, knocks, whirrs, blinks, flickers and Toyota couldn't give a damn: but other than that it's great!

3. 1990 Honda Civic Hatch: Good car in theory, but in my one the steering would pull to the left and the brakes would pull it to the right. If you locked it up it would spin around. It was without doubt a death trap. It did have Mugen stickers though.
Old 02-26-07, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Worst".

As most of you know, I've driven, test-driven, and owned a lot of cars in my lifetime. But I guess I'd have to give the awards as such:

Worst new car I ever owned ( in build quality ) :
Tie, 1978 Plymouth Horizon / 1980 Chevrolet Citation. Other than to just mention them, I don't even want to discuss those two.

Worst used car I ever owned:
Only owned 4 used cars, none of them were really THAT bad.

Worst new car I ever test-drove:
1984 Pontiac Fiero (unbelievably poor quality control ). It was assembled like a 5-year-old in Kindergarden with his first set of blocks. 1987 Hyundai Excel a close second....with automatic and A/C on, it wouldn't keep up to a turtle with two broken legs.

Most poorly-engineered car I ever drove:
1982 Dodge 400 convertible...it had more cowl flex and shake than a rubber band. Holding the steering wheel was like having Parkinson's disease.

Most dull, boring car I ever drove:
1978 Ford Fairmont. It would put a librarian to sleep.

Most uncomfortable car I ever drove:
1970 Opel GT. Even as a young 18-year-old, when I sat in it, the car was SO narrow and cramped that I literally could not shut the driver's door...it banged up against my left shoulder. I had to TIE it closed just enough so I could drive it without the door hanging out in traffic..
I didn't have that much trouble even in the old MG Midget.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-07 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 07:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

When my parents and I lived in Venezuela in the late 70s, my father was given a 78 Fairmont as a company car (we also had a Dart). That Fairmont would make a lot of noise but would not go anywhere. Finally had to turn it in as I recall and ask for something else.
Old 02-26-07, 07:59 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't call any of them bad, but the ones I least liked were:

1) 79 Ford Mustang.
2) 94 Civic EX Coupe.
3) 94 Lexus ES300.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-26-07 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 08:12 PM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

1. 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer: POS! Damn gas pedal fell off at the light!
2. 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS: Slow POS!
Old 02-27-07, 07:36 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Having had only technically three cars from my family.

I'd have to say my opinion on all three.

2002 Nissan Pathfinder, we picked up this CPO Pathfinder in 05' but boy has it been a nightmare, I love the style compared with the newer body style however PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS. I have had
1. exhaust leak
2. door sensor problems(fixed it myself figured it out somehow)
3. CD changer broke down(CPO warranty covered it however)
4. trunk at times doesn't close properly

and a couple of other minor things. I'm not surprised on the gas mileage though 14 I was expecting that. LAST TIME I THINK About a Nissan!

2001 Mazda MPV, we purchased new and has 44,000 happy miles, was involved in one recall but got fixed right away, this car has been very reliable no problems whatsoever, slightly underpowered and pretty thirsty getting only around 15... Only 1 MPG better than the Path.

1988 Cheverolet Nova(Toyota Corolla based), my parents purchased it brand new and was handed down to me, I loved this car, I even had the ever so cool LED washer nozzles and a house speaker in the trunk but that's cuz I didn't have a job at the time and just wanted to touch it up slightly, it was very reliable only problem was one year it had a leak in the exhaust. This is the car that made me love Toyota! It got great mileage like 28-30 in the city however, the engine blew out at 64,000 miles in the fall of 2005. I would have kept that car it wasn't for that. Only dislike was it only has 74 HP and a top speed of 85 compared with the cars driving around today it could hardly keep up.

My target next car: Toyota or Lexus
Old 02-27-07, 07:55 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

Luckily I have had good luck with my cars.. Olds 442, Sentra SE-R, Maxima, and now the GS4... but man.. my moms Plymouth Breeze and Mercury Zephyr sucked so bad.

The breeze.. was leaking oil at 35k, doors sagged, leaking at the windshield sprayers, and back window seals were leaking. The Zephyr was just a POS.
Old 02-27-07, 08:07 AM
TP_IS350
Driver School Candidate

1. 2002 Ford Explorer XLT -- Sunroof rattles galore after 6mo. of ownership. I had to replace the serpentine belt tensioner assy at 10K miles due to it making horrible squeaking and rattling noises, making my 1yr. old car sound like a hooptie. Sold after 1.5 yrs of less-than-blissful ownership.

2. 2000 Ford Mustang GT -- Tranny issues (pops out of reverse, gets stuck in 5th, weird tranny hum in 2nd gear).

3. 1986 Ford Bronco XLT -- Fuel injector issues...

Needless to say, I probably won't be buying a Ford in the near future....
Old 02-27-07, 08:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Several odd vehicles in my checkered past, worst three were all company cars - back when you had no choice, but were simply issued a car. Most problems related to the people who were assigned to them – fleet cars tend to be treated as step-children by some folks – the ones who usually get fired.
  • 1974 Pinto Wagon 4-spd. Later I would come to call it "Christine" because it tried to kill its owners. Ignition would fail on the highway at speed - usually in heavy traffic. Previous assignee had smoked vile cigars in it and when you turned on the AC, it reeked. Another assignee abandoned it on the highway after it tried to kill him for the third time, and hitched a ride home. Called me to tell me if the company wanted it, where he'd left it. A few days later having recovered it, it tried to kill me by welding up a right front brake rotor and smacking a telephone pole at speed. I escaped with minor injuries, it went to the crusher.

• 1976 Dodge Aspen. Beautiful car, in a rich deep mahogany finish inside and out. Assigned to the same guys who had suffered the Pinto, it was the company's way of apology. The "lean burn" V8 suffered incredible electrical problems and spent more time in the shop than on the road. Enough pieces came adrift we began to think the car was disintegrating before our eyes. It became an orphan and was sold in less than a year.

• 1984 Olds 88. Another gorgeous car, deep blue top, hood, and deck with beige khaki flanks and interior. Buick sold a similar color package as some “designer” label. Very nice car, but I discovered the previous driver had used it to haul hay to his horses. Trunk and back seat were full of hay and a number of critters that moved in with it. Then when the weather warmed up, I found he also used it to haul manure. Removed seats, carpet and trunk liner and had it steam cleaned. Replaced headliner, carpet and trunk liner, then shampooed the seats. Still bore the faint aroma of the barnyard. I traded it to my service manager who never entertained clients and had no sense of smell.

• 1975 International Travelall. This one was mine, purchased used as an “executive car” from IH to pull a big boat trailer. It was rugged and with the 401 AMC V8, quite powerful, but it was a complete squirrel when trailering. No combination of hitches, spring bars, wheel and COG adjustment could tame that trailer (which was completely docile behind a Suburban or a pickup). Between the soft springing and the mongrel mix of components (AMC engine, GM transmission, Dodge rear end and brakes, Ford front brakes, GM radiator, etc.) it was never happy. After three years it began to rust, and I practically replaced the lower half of the body, some parts twice, at a fab shop that welded in new metal to replace the rotted pieces. No undercoat was sufficient to halt the rustmonster. Even the windows and the TOP began to rust despite bodywork ant at least two complete paint jobs in 4 years. Sold to my neighbor who had drooled over it every day since its arrival. At least he was a welder.

• 1994 Plymouth Grand Caravan. A visual disaster. My wife wanted a minivan, so we bought her sister’s old one. It had 192K miles on its Mitsu V6, but was in good mechanical, if really ugly cosmetic shape. $1500. We fixed the AC leak, tore out the headliner, insulated the body heavily, and had deep limo tint and a new headliner installed, even on the visors. A beautiful job by a small mom-and-pop shop.

Some early ‘90’s Chrysler products had issues with a bad primer coat. Paint does not stick to it, thus it is peeling badly. Wheels are rusty, three hubcaps are missing, and what remains of the paint is chalky. To repaint, it is going to have to be blasted to bare metal, primed and painted. I’m considering blasting, priming and blocking it myself, then taking it to Earl Schieb for paint. Maybe this spring.

We drive it probably only 100 miles a month – to Home Depot, using it more as a pickup than a van. It runs great, passes emissions tests (despite the permanent CEL) every year, and is cheap to insure. It is not garaged, and considering its value, hardly worth fixing, but not quite useless. For now, despite age and appearance, my wife’s considering keeping both it and me.