Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

surprising sad news

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 03:22 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default surprising sad news

so i got pulled over on saturday...nothing crazy...42 in a 30. He wasnt going to give me a ticket, but to my surprise....my license has been suspended?!!!? what???

i got no notification, no mail, no warning at all. tried to call the registry today, but was on hold for over an hour, and had to give up because of work. going to try to get it all figured out tomorrow, but not looking good. i'll probably have to get a lawyer for my court date this time....hopefully the fact that i got no notification will work to my advantage. i dont know why i didnt get warned. i'm pretty sure its because of a speeding ticket i thought they forgot about....but apparently not!!! my address is up to date with the RMV, so i should have gotten something.

so here i am, getting driven around by my girlfriend in a corolla while my IS350 sits at home and hasnt even turned 1000 miles yet

wish me luck!
Old 02-26-07, 03:34 PM
cjones4640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

i dont know why i didnt get warned. i'm pretty sure its because of a speeding ticket i thought they forgot about....

man..what planet are you from???lolol ..j/k.
They do not HAVE to notify you about anything..the tix was enough..lol..AND YOU THOUGHT they forgot about it..man good luck...but please dont tell the judge that you thought they forgot about it so you never paid it..lol..
But on a good note..try to get defensive driving class...youll love yourself later for it!..I know i did!!
Old 02-26-07, 04:03 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah good luck hope everything goes well.... but uh... the whole ticket thing that you thought they forgot about is a BIT silly.
Old 02-26-07, 04:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

a speeding ticket i thought they forgot about
Maybe they'll forget about this too.
Old 02-26-07, 04:24 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't tell the judge that excuse ask your Lawyer to see if you can get a driving privilege to and from work.
Old 02-26-07, 04:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

If you got a citation, the appearance date was at the bottom...no need for a second notice, the first is it "."

A buddy sent me an article regarding photo enforcement that led to near instance suspension. The article mentioned that upon being photographed, the contracted company was supposed to process/send out the notices. The citations contained flaws so technicalities caused them to default. Wrong or incorrect address (Offender did not recieve), photographed party was not the registered owner and the owner was held accountable instead...a whole mess of small errors which led to suspensions.
Old 02-26-07, 05:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjones4640
i dont know why i didnt get warned. i'm pretty sure its because of a speeding ticket i thought they forgot about....

man..what planet are you from???lolol ..j/k.
They do not HAVE to notify you about anything..the tix was enough..lol..AND YOU THOUGHT they forgot about it..man good luck...but please dont tell the judge that you thought they forgot about it so you never paid it..lol..
But on a good note..try to get defensive driving class...youll love yourself later for it!..I know i did!!
wow, you beat me to it. the state is required to warn you before they take action against your license when you forget to pay a ticket lol.
Old 02-26-07, 06:22 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

You're lucky that they didn't arrest you... That's what they do down here. One of my friends got a free ride to the clink because of that crap. The reason he was DWSL? He received a parking ticket while parked downtown, but never saw the actual ticket (he thinks someone swipped it from his car). So, he didn't know anything about it and two years later, bingo bango... he gets pulled over and starts that whole ordeal...

Good luck!
Old 02-26-07, 07:40 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Sorry, but with your nonchalant attitude you deserve whatever is coming to you. Grow up and be more responsible next time.
Old 02-27-07, 02:38 AM
cjones4640
Driver

Default ...

im kinda wondering...how old are u?
cause i dont know one state that dont want there monies.and to the person who says the state have to warn you b4 they take action..im movng to your state cause they are ust too nice..lol...I know in Indiana your court date is on the tix...thats all you get..besides a free shulttle ride to jail if you never pay it..lol. yea..it may take a year or two..but they will suspend your license!!
And DWS is only a infraction...DWS prior will get you some nice shiny jewlery that youll get to wear while your on your free shuttle ride...Your best bet(this is what i did once) CALL and find out how much is the tix..
HAVE YOUR GIRL go in and pay it(here..if you have a warrant for failure to appear..they will arrest u on the spot so they can get bail monies and the tix money out of u) after she get the receipt, go to the reinstatment place..pay their fine(s) and wait out your waiting period if you have one.
OR ask if you can take the defensive driving class..keep your record as clean as you can..pay the $150 or whatever..i rather do that then have my ins go up!
Old 02-27-07, 05:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
i dont know why i didnt get warned. i'm pretty sure its because of a speeding ticket i thought they forgot about....but apparently not!!!
Step right up folks, we got yer Darwin award winner right here!

Andoskyy - maybe the insanity defense?
Old 02-27-07, 06:10 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3
You're lucky that they didn't arrest you... That's what they do down here. One of my friends got a free ride to the clink because of that crap. The reason he was DWSL? He received a parking ticket while parked downtown, but never saw the actual ticket (he thinks someone swipped it from his car). So, he didn't know anything about it and two years later, bingo bango... he gets pulled over and starts that whole ordeal...
Sounds familiar. When I lived in Mpls, someone else received a parking ticket downtown, but the meter maid mis-entered the license plate number. And the incorrect plate number happened to be mine. The ticket never got paid by the offender, and I get a notice in the mail that my license is going to be suspended, so I had to show up at their mini-court-deal and prove that it wasn't my car.
Old 02-27-07, 03:57 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stage3

Good luck!
I don't get the logic behind how someone can get their DL suspended over a parking ticket; unless your buddy signed said ticket--which I doubt could have happened since he claims to never have even seen it--since any identifying info on the ticket would be based on the vehicle, not the driver...how can any DMV/court justifiably allow beyond a reasonable doubt that the vehicle owner was necessarily the one driving the ticketed vehicle and as such, should have his/her DL suspended over an unpaid parking ticket? I mean, think about it--what if the exact same circumstances took place...except instead of his own car, your buddy was driving someone else's car just that one time?

Not that I don't believe your story, but any jurisdiction that permits a DL suspension due to an unresolved parking ticket has gotta be off its rocker IMHO...
Old 02-27-07, 04:10 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've had enough lectures here, next time you should be more responsible, that's that.

What you need to do is go to court right away with either cash or a check. Make sure you have enough funds. I've seen this in traffic court many times. Tell the judge that you made a mistake. The judge will most likely ask you, Can you pay for this now? If you say yes the judge will most likely tell you that you can have your license back if you can pay for your ticket. He will probably charge you a fine, although reduced for your Failure to Appear. Bring your paperwork to the DMV and pay the fee ($60-$75, I forget) to get your license reinstated. I cannot stress this enough, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MONEY WHEN YOU GO TO COURT.

Tips:
1. Dress nice. At the minimum, khakis and a dress shirt. Wearing slacks and a tie would be better.
2. Be polite, address the judge as your honor. Don't make up a sob story, they've heard it all before.
3. If the judge make a comment about you, they sometimes like to throw in their little jabs or make a bit of an example out of you to the rest of the people in court, take it in stride. There should be no pride involved here, whatever he says, just remain focused you are there to fix a mistake that YOU made.
4. Make sure you have all your money.
5. The judge may ask you why you didn't appear in court, keep it short and simple. I would just tell the judge that you made a mistake and you are there now to correct it.

Lastly, I don't know about them arresting you on the spot for failure to appear if you don't have a history of doing so. I've been to court for many tickets in my life, and have accompanied many friends. There's always people in court with FTAs. No one has EVER been hauled to jail.

Of course laws in your state may be different, but this was my experience in California a long, long time ago.
Old 02-27-07, 08:01 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
so i got pulled over on saturday...nothing crazy...42 in a 30. He wasnt going to give me a ticket, but to my surprise....my license has been suspended?!!!? what???

i got no notification, no mail, no warning at all. tried to call the registry today, but was on hold for over an hour, and had to give up because of work. going to try to get it all figured out tomorrow, but not looking good. i'll probably have to get a lawyer for my court date this time....hopefully the fact that i got no notification will work to my advantage. i dont know why i didnt get warned. i'm pretty sure its because of a speeding ticket i thought they forgot about....but apparently not!!! my address is up to date with the RMV, so i should have gotten something.

so here i am, getting driven around by my girlfriend in a corolla while my IS350 sits at home and hasnt even turned 1000 miles yet

wish me luck!
same thing happened to me here in San Diego. They wanted to arrest me for Failure to Appear!?!!! I was like what the hell are you talking about, I haven't been pulled over for anything or gotten any tickets in years.

Turns out some dirt bag in Northern California in some town I've never even been to was pulled over and used my identity! Then skipped out on the court date.

I thought it was weird the DMV didn't send me my renewal stuff for my drivers license. Insurance was even going to cancel me because my drivers license was about to expire. I found this out about 2 weeks before my license expired.

It took lots of faxing of bank records to show I was in San Diego at the time this joker was claiming to be me because I was not about to drive up to Nor Cal to get this fixed. Luckily I got a sympathetic person at the court house. It still took 3 weeks and I was driving without a license for 1 week and couldn't even go to any bars because no bouncers would let me in with an expired license and driving with no insurance (had to go to work!). It really sucked. The worst part was being treated like a criminal, the insurance people wouldn't help me, the police could care less "sure buddy it wasn't you", the DMV couldn't issue a temp license the clerks at the DMV didn't care, if it wasn't for a sympathetic court clerk I could have had my record trash, fines, and who knows what else (jail?!?). Very stressful 3 weeks.

The clown was driving a red Mazda and I drive a Black Lexus, I have never resided at the address he used up North, that and my ATM withdrawls there was no way I could be in Nor Cal at the time and a copy of my signature which was totally different than the ticket showing got the judge to dismiss it.

Anyway, it might have happened to you. I asked the person at the court house and she said if you don't have a license when pulled over you can just give the cops some info and if it checks out they write the ticket and let you go. I coudln't believe how easy it is to impersonate someone else with the cops, I wrote my Congress people they need to have proof of identity before ticketing people, if they can't show ID they need to go to jail. This is a HUGE loophole any criminal can use to get out of any ticket they want.

I also had to get a special number added to my drivers license with the CA DMV so if this character ever pulls this again with my info it will show up on the cops computer to ask me for this code.

Identity theft can happen to you, be warned!

Last edited by toy4two; 02-27-07 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: surprising sad news