Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A dream becomes a nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 06:07 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A dream becomes a nightmare

Here is the story:
The Lamborghini Murcielago - The dream of many car lovers, usually an unreachably expensive. You cannot measure dreams in $$$, however top-security and quality should have highest priority with the retail price of this car, otherwise a dream might become a nightmare as fast as in my story. The manufacturer did not say anything to the facts so far, and keeps silent despite my attempts to contact them; destroyed dreams cannot be connected with the perfect image. In addition, I thought, this kind of car would play in a different class of cars.

My story begins at the end of June 2004. A friend of mine and me are on our way to check out another Murcielago because the first one that we had a look at near Munich wasn't in good condition anymore and I didn't like it because of that.
Shortly after that I realised that I made my decision. This was the car that I was going to buy. Those thoughts were in my head all way back home.

Because the car has such a fascination on me, I visit the former owner a second time on June 30th 2004. On this Wednesday I bought the 8 months old Lamborghini Murcielago from a private seller who was the first owner of the car and just got it back from service on the day I purchased it.
It had about 5000km on the odometer and looked like in top condition.

The following weekend is very nice. And then it's Sunday, 4th of July. In the morning I have no idea that this date will stay in my mind for quite some time yet forever. On the early afternoon I wanted to visit the former owner of my Porsche who became a good friend of mine. In town we meet two other friends and they accompaign us. On our way back home my buddy changes seats with one of the other two guys because he also wanted to be passenger in the Lambo.
While driving home on the Autobahn something incomprehensible and to today unexplainable happened…

The car suddenly turns right on the Autobahn which is straight, dry and in quite good condition with hardly any traffic, and after a very fast 90 degree turn goes through the guard rail and then lands with the top down in a forest about 150 meters from the place where the guard rail was broken through. The possiblity of a tire failure is being eliminated by experts, also the road was in good condition and no hindrance, like animals or anything like that, was no the road.

With a very bad brain lesion i was put in intensive care and in artificial coma. A heavy and uncertain time follows in the hospital where in the beginning it is very uncertain whether I will carry permanent damage, whether I will recognize my family or whether I have to learn to walk and talk again. Fortunately everything went very well and only 5 weeks after the accident I was dismissed from the hospital.

There are still many unanswered questions… Why did the accident happen? Who is guilty? Who can be in charge?

According to experts tire failure didn't happen and the aftermarket wheels also didn't have anything to do with the accident. In fact they look like they were of very good quality because none of them broke, they were only deformed by the impact.

His followup:
Slowly but steadily i am receiving more and more emails about similarly crashed Murcielagos like in my case. On the following photos you can see an accident whose event is as strange as mine.
The driver, who is a skilled driver who regularly drives sportscars like that, followed a buddy at a very low speed of only 120 km/h, to a place to sell the car. The buddy watched the rearview mirror and saw as the Murcielago suddenly turned right and crashed into the guard rail. Although the road was wet, it was in very good condition, there was no aquaplaning and no snow. Oddly enough this accident seemed to have happened just exactly like mine happened, only the speed was a bit lower.
Coincidence?

Source:http://www.lambounfall.de/indexe.html
Old 02-27-07, 06:33 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moving to car chat.
Old 02-27-07, 06:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Scary...
I haven't gone through all the write-up...my initial thoughts are a traction control issue gremlin.
Old 02-27-07, 07:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm...

That is scary stuff.

First and foremost, I hope that no one has been killed by such accidents. And I hope that anyone injured from it recovers well.

Now, as far as the problem goes, it seems that there is something out of the ordinary with the car. I don't know if the problem is identifiable, especially with the low production numbers. Owners may not easily lend their cars for research/autopsies to determine what's wrong, but in all honesty, if my life depended on it, I'd be giving that car to engineers to figure out what's happening.

Lambo has a lot of rich clientelle with very powerful lawyers. Hopefully, concerns will be resolved.
Old 02-27-07, 08:00 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't this a repost or something? I know Ive seen this somewhere before...
Old 02-27-07, 08:07 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Isn't this a repost or something? I know Ive seen this somewhere before...

I know I've read this before... and considering this is the only car site i visit with great frequency... I would say it's a repost.
Old 02-27-07, 08:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Seen it before . . .

Yes it is a repost, but it's a long time ago . . .
Old 02-27-07, 09:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah, its an ooold problem, something about the brake disk(s) either seizing or exploding.

cant really remember any more