Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

FEBRUARY 2007 CAR SALES Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 11:15 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Same thing goes for a manual transmission option. People always complain that some cars (or all Lexus cars) don't come with a real manual. Look at all US vehicle sales and automatics are chosen 90 something percent of the time.
You are using a percentage across ALL cars - that's not realistic. You need to compare sporty cars where I bet the percentage is higher (and there is the gripe, if the car has sporting intentions, then a manual/smg should be offered.)

On the same note, something tells me that manual is chosen less than 10% of the time when all cars are compared - at least in the US (not saying your 90% is wrong, just that it seems low).

PS - at one time in the mid 90s, 40% of all 3-series were ordered with manual - I'm sure the percentage is much lower these days.
Old 03-05-07, 05:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Amazing how Corolla sales just keep climbing as the car gets older. It's now in it's 5th year (mostly unchanged since 2003) and it is the 3rd best selling car after Camry and Accord.

Civic sales shouldn't be dropping like they are however it is just February so we should wait. It's a great small car and is one of the freshest looking models out. For me, it's between that and the Mazda 3 if I was ready to purchase in that class.
Civic sales dropped since new Civic was introduced.

According to some forum members here, Honda is selling a lot of both Civics and Fits on Mars (yes, the red planet), so there isnt enough production for US market. Kind of sucks.
Old 03-05-07, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I'm sure the 0% financing had nothing to do with the Prius sales

I'd also be curious if Corolla sales are hot because Toyota is selling more to rental car fleets and the domestics are pulling back. Plus as a rental car fleet owner I would be THRILLED to have a Corolla to rent and then sell at a great price vs something like the Cobalt I was just in (30K and it was falling apart - can't think it would be worth much in that condition).

yeah, $400 fleet discount for Corolla and Prius not even available in fleets sold millions to fleet buyers...

Difference between Toyota selling to fleet and Ford selling to fleet is that Toyota makes money on it...
Old 03-05-07, 06:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Difference between Toyota selling to fleet and Ford selling to fleet is that Toyota makes money on it...

...and that the fleets are getting a better car.

I think if fleets had total choice with unlimited availability, they would only buy Toyotas, Hondas, and Hyundais and totally avoid US automakers. The money saved initially buying American goes down the drain later. Buying Toyota or Honda assures:

- Much better resale value when they need to sell for newer
- Less problems
- Happier customers

It's a no brainer.
Old 03-06-07, 02:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Civic sales dropped since new Civic was introduced.

According to some forum members here, Honda is selling a lot of both Civics and Fits on Mars (yes, the red planet), so there isnt enough production for US market. Kind of sucks.
you must have missed this earlier in the thread...

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/406...nNorthAmerica/

One of the plants producing Civics also produces CR-Vs. Per the above, Honda is making adjustments to its manufacturing as of April 2007.
Old 03-07-07, 12:10 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doug_999
you must have missed this earlier in the thread...

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/406...nNorthAmerica/

One of the plants producing Civics also produces CR-Vs. Per the above, Honda is making adjustments to its manufacturing as of April 2007.
Not just making adjustments... Honda is currently in the works of building a whole new plant here in the US that will be building Civics in order to meet the demand. I don't remember what else other than the Civic the new plant will be building. Last I checked, Honda was a smart company. They wouldn't have made a decision to build a plant to produce a car that was a "complete failure" for them.
Old 03-07-07, 01:41 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

I think some of the Civic decline might be from the Fits. Civics nowadays are in the $17k+, very close to those of Accord models. I'm sure many folks were turned off by this and bought the cheaper Fits instead. Honda knew this affect would happen, and thus did not introduce the Fit sedan (which IMHO is the real car to get ) to further curtail Civic sales. JMHO