Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 08:58 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus give us a new SC! BMW and others have been having way to much fun with new coupe 2+2 seaters!
Old 03-03-07, 09:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^
Agreed, agreed!!! Not to mention the sexy Mercedes CLKs/CLs...SLs/SLKs...
Old 03-04-07, 09:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never hated the design of the SC430, but I never really warmed to it. Everytime I was definite that I liked the design, I would see it on the street at a wierd angle which made me go back to the drawing board. I really hope Lexus redesigns the car soon. I'm biased towards the SC300/400 so I'm hoping they bring out another proper, long touring coupe. Something to compete with the CL or 6-series. Not a IS based coupe, or a SL fighting convertible... a proper touring coupe. DAMNIT, you listening???!!!
Old 03-04-07, 09:24 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T0ked
I never hated the design of the SC430, but I never really warmed to it. Everytime I was definite that I liked the design, I would see it on the street at a wierd angle which made me go back to the drawing board. I really hope Lexus redesigns the car soon. I'm biased towards the SC300/400 so I'm hoping they bring out another proper, long touring coupe. Something to compete with the CL or 6-series. Not a IS based coupe, or a SL fighting convertible... a proper touring coupe. DAMNIT, you listening???!!!
I think Lexus needs to look at the Mercedes CL-Coupe, as an inspiration for the next generation SC.

Not to be mean to those who own the SC430, but it doesn't strike me as much as the first generation did.
Old 03-04-07, 11:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Strangely, I've seen plenty of young people driving SC430s here in Canada.

As for the article, it's comical at best. Complaining about an old dated model that's about to be replaced by a redesign?
Old 03-04-07, 11:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The only reason you don't see many yuong people driving the SC is because its too damn expensive to them to buy. Same applied to SL and 6 series, most of them are driven by people over 50.
Old 03-04-07, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

The SC is like a camel which is also known as a horse designed by committee.

It's cramped enough to be a sports car but doesn't go like one.
It's luxurious enough you might want to take more than one passenger in it but you can't. You can put a box of Kleenex in the back seats, maybe.
It's too big for what it does. It's too small for what it should do.

And the SC430 will be remembered for debuting with probably the ugliest rims ever put on a car.

So make up your mind Lexus. Either make it more like an IS coupe, or more like an LS coupe. Something in between reminds me of the Buick Reatta. Anyone remember that?

The first gen SC was and is SO GREAT, the 2nd gen was not a worthy successor.
Old 03-04-07, 11:43 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

They need to make the next generation SC something doctors, lawyers, businessmen will buy.

Last edited by rsantiago; 03-04-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 12:17 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concerning the Solara issue, I really wish that Toyota and Lexus would put more effort into distinguishing the two. I love both companies and am a huge car guy, but I will be completely honest: there have been plenty of times where I have seen the back of a new LS out of the corner of my eye, and thought it was a Camry at first glance. The shape, design, and color of the tail lights and the entire rear end are too similar. Toyota/Lexus are really using too many of the same styling elements. The GS is really the only car that looks uniquely it's own IMO. The RX has been copied to death by every other car makes, and the GX/LX are still good looking, but aging.

To be honest, the styling on the IS/LS/ES is really not that much different from all other Japanese cars. Look at the front end of a Camry, Corolla, Mazda 6 and 3, Altima, TL, TSX, RL, Solara, LS460, ES 350, IS, Lancer, Legacy....they are all the same basic shapes and arrangements with slightly different details. All are the feline, almond shaped headlights, relatively trapezoidal grille, and the same lower front fascia with two foglights and a big space between them and directly under the grille. It's all the same. Lexus has GOT to start stepping out of the box and doing something different here. No doubt we are getting good looking cars, but they aren't DIFFERENT good looking cars. IMO, Lexus are the nicest looking cars that carry traditional japanese style, but they need to start to move away from looking like "the best of the boring" because all in all it's still...boring.

Bimmers, Mercedes, Jaguars, Audis- they carry a style that is uniquely their own. Even Infiniti is starting to become their own brand with design. The G35 is more unique looking than the IS, IMO. And they've moved into a front end design that is different looking from everyone else's. I'm not saying that Lexus is giving us ugly cars, but we are getting vehicles that are styled just like everything else, with a few extra details here and there. I really had hoped that L-Finesse was going to do more for Lexus than it has done so far, and I know that this is only the first "wave" of cars to benefit from the design theme but we need something. Jags are traditional old world beauty, and have just now launched into a more futuristic luxury brand- XK and upcoming XF. Audi has their big buck tooth grille, Mercedes is going wild with fender flares, BMW has all of it's Bangle madness and Lexus....uh... . I'm not saying it's bad, but there is truthfully nothing MEMORABLE or distinguishable about Lexus designs. That needs to change.

Just my .02
Old 03-04-07, 12:18 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe this is the replacement.. Dubbed LF-C. I saw it at tthe 2004 NY International Autoshow.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/112_04_lexuslfc
Old 03-04-07, 12:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That car was the forbearer to the IS. Lexus hasn't really given us anything on the next SC.
Old 03-04-07, 01:12 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Concerning the Solara issue, I really wish that Toyota and Lexus would put more effort into distinguishing the two. I love both companies and am a huge car guy, but I will be completely honest: there have been plenty of times where I have seen the back of a new LS out of the corner of my eye, and thought it was a Camry at first glance. The shape, design, and color of the tail lights and the entire rear end are too similar. Toyota/Lexus are really using too many of the same styling elements. The GS is really the only car that looks uniquely it's own IMO. The RX has been copied to death by every other car makes, and the GX/LX are still good looking, but aging.

To be honest, the styling on the IS/LS/ES is really not that much different from all other Japanese cars. Look at the front end of a Camry, Corolla, Mazda 6 and 3, Altima, TL, TSX, RL, Solara, LS460, ES 350, IS, Lancer, Legacy....they are all the same basic shapes and arrangements with slightly different details. All are the feline, almond shaped headlights, relatively trapezoidal grille, and the same lower front fascia with two foglights and a big space between them and directly under the grille. It's all the same. Lexus has GOT to start stepping out of the box and doing something different here. No doubt we are getting good looking cars, but they aren't DIFFERENT good looking cars. IMO, Lexus are the nicest looking cars that carry traditional japanese style, but they need to start to move away from looking like "the best of the boring" because all in all it's still...boring.

Bimmers, Mercedes, Jaguars, Audis- they carry a style that is uniquely their own. Even Infiniti is starting to become their own brand with design. The G35 is more unique looking than the IS, IMO. And they've moved into a front end design that is different looking from everyone else's. I'm not saying that Lexus is giving us ugly cars, but we are getting vehicles that are styled just like everything else, with a few extra details here and there. I really had hoped that L-Finesse was going to do more for Lexus than it has done so far, and I know that this is only the first "wave" of cars to benefit from the design theme but we need something. Jags are traditional old world beauty, and have just now launched into a more futuristic luxury brand- XK and upcoming XF. Audi has their big buck tooth grille, Mercedes is going wild with fender flares, BMW has all of it's Bangle madness and Lexus....uh... . I'm not saying it's bad, but there is truthfully nothing MEMORABLE or distinguishable about Lexus designs. That needs to change.

Just my .02
Well said, the only design that strikes me for Lexus continues to be the 2nd generation GS300/400 and First Generation SC300/400, both commands a unique presence on the road.
Old 03-04-07, 01:24 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
The only reason you don't see many yuong people driving the SC is because its too damn expensive to them to buy. Same applied to SL and 6 series, most of them are driven by people over 50.
Out of the 3-4 M6s I've seen here, they all seemed to be 25-40ish. Bunch of SL55's driven by young people in Newport. How many young people have M3s? If you can afford a M3, you can basically afford a SC.
Old 03-04-07, 01:44 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Here's my problem with Lexus design...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?-sedans.jpg  
Old 03-04-07, 01:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Squint, and tell me which cars look like they should be premium branded. To be honest, I think the camry almost looks the most expensive/interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?-sedans2.jpg  

Last edited by MPLexus301; 03-04-07 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?