Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 03:17 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Well said, the only design that strikes me for Lexus continues to be the 2nd generation GS300/400 and First Generation SC300/400, both commands a unique presence on the road.
I agree completely, the 2nd Gen GS and 1st Gen SC are the only designs in the history of Lexus that were original and very attractive at the same time. They both had a world-class sense of style

The newest IS looks pretty nice too
Old 03-04-07, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Boring old man's wife's car.
Why do you call it boring? I agree the exterior styling is unattractive ( at least to my tastes ), but the folding power-hardtop and the stunning interior are both first-rate.

I still think that Lexus' biggest problem with this car, besides the questionable styling, is the lack of a SC300 version like with the first-generation model. That was a serious marketing mistake.....the 430 was just too expensive, and partially explains why the car didn't sell better the it did.
Old 03-04-07, 03:53 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

For the 2nd generation SC, its failure to attract the male market, ie: doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc... which was probably the majority of the owners of the first generation SC, I'm sure many of them looked at G35 coupes, CLK/SL/CL Classes, BMW 6 Series instead IMHO.
Old 03-04-07, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
For the 2nd generation SC, its failure to attract the male market, ie: doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc... which was probably the majority of the owners of the first generation SC, I'm sure many of them looked at G35 coupes, CLK/SL/CL Classes, BMW 6 Series instead IMHO.
Three things:

First, what is UN-male about it? ....although, I have to admit (and I'm a male) that I don't like the exterior styling.

Second, these days, those professions are not just male....there are PLENTY of female doctors, lawyers, and businesspeople in the marketplace.

Third, the G35/CLK/BMW 6-Series competition you mention does not have the SC's folding metal top...a very useful feature....and the CLK and BMW don't have anywhere near the SC's reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-04-07 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by texan629
Rich people generally don't place too much emphasis on reliability because they tend to have several cars in thier stable to choose from if something should happen.
Well, judging from Mercedes sales figures, I'd have to agree with you.
Old 03-05-07, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hehe, i read the ls460 review and then this one.... man, some people are funny. but oh well, they are in their own world, i rather not disturb them coz' i definitely do NOT want them to be in MY world
Old 03-05-07, 12:33 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to say though, after seeing rominl's SC on the road...

man. i've never looked at the SC430s the same way again.
Old 03-05-07, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i have to say though, after seeing rominl's SC on the road...

man. i've never looked at the SC430s the same way again.
hahahaa, i feel flattered guess my wife is doing one hell of a job with the car

but actually, more than a few times already, we are driving on the road and when we pass by some stock sc430, they keep on staring at ours
Old 03-05-07, 01:17 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you call it boring? I agree the exterior styling is unattractive ( at least to my tastes ), but the folding power-hardtop and the stunning interior are both first-rate.

I still think that Lexus' biggest problem with this car, besides the questionable styling, is the lack of a SC300 version like with the first-generation model. That was a serious marketing mistake.....the 430 was just too expensive, and partially explains why the car didn't sell better the it did.
And that is how I want it! No slow 300 series and limited in sales keeping it unique-whether good or bad depending on one's taste. At least the car does not blend in like other vehicles in their lineup.
Stock=ugly. Fixed up=The best curves of the 40+ cars I have ever owned and the interior is still top notch to this date.
Say what you want, but a SC430 gets far more compliments than any Lexus out there-PERIOD!
My old SC300/400-very very rare to get a compliment, GS400-a few here and there.
SC430-at least once a week if not daily. Today included.
Old 03-05-07, 04:11 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Say what you want, but a SC430 gets far more compliments than any Lexus out there-PERIOD!
Oh, really? Have you driven every other Lexus out there and compared compliment rates? I'm not saying your SC doesn't get it's fair share (or more) of compliments, so don't take me wrong.
Old 03-05-07, 05:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahahaa, i feel flattered guess my wife is doing one hell of a job with the car

but actually, more than a few times already, we are driving on the road and when we pass by some stock sc430, they keep on staring at ours
Show some pics?
Old 03-05-07, 06:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

At least the car does not blend in like other vehicles in their lineup.
True.

Stock=ugly. Fixed up=The best curves of the 40+ cars I have ever owned and the interior is still top notch to this date.
Agreed. Not sure I've seen a pic of yours but with all those mods I'm sure it looks and runs great. Henry's looks great too.

You've owned 40+ cars? Wow. I'm on my 5th and 6th now.

As you said, the others mostly just blend in whereas the SC430 - a curvy retractable hard top - is unique. But while it may get compliments you probably wouldn't be hearing from those who don't find it their "cup of tea".

But I'm glad Lexus took SOME RISK with a design!
Old 03-05-07, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And that is how I want it! No slow 300 series and limited in sales keeping it unique-whether good or bad depending on one's taste. At least the car does not blend in like other vehicles in their lineup.
:
The old SC300, while of course not up to the SC430's power level, was certainly not what I would call slow. It had plenty of power for just about all normal driving.

So, I stand by my earlier statement. Maybe YOU did not want to see a new SC300. Fine....you are entitled to your opinion. But in my view it was still a marketing error.

I do agree with you, however, that the SC430's styling does not blend in with that of other Lexuses. What it DOES blend in with is a lot full of Audi TT's.
Old 03-05-07, 07:05 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Any new word on the new SC? I'm hoping that Lexus takes a MB SL500 and copies the general size/style but adds in the Lexus quality/reliability/technology/value/precision/design cues. In other words, take the current SC and STRETCH it out and make it leaner and longer like the MB SL500. I also would like an All-Wheel Drive Option which would make the car more practical for those of us in winter snow country - thus increasing market potential.
Old 03-05-07, 08:22 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The old SC300, while of course not up to the SC430's power level, was certainly not what I would call slow. It had plenty of power for just about all normal driving.

So, I stand by my earlier statement. Maybe YOU did not want to see a new SC300. Fine....you are entitled to your opinion. But in my view it was still a marketing error.

I do agree with you, however, that the SC430's styling does not blend in with that of other Lexuses. What it DOES blend in with is a lot full of Audi TT's.
One must keep in mind that the original SC was a 30k-40k car with a 5k spread between the 300 and 400 models. This is significant for someone trying to get into one. Fast forward to the SC430-60k! Do you really think someone looking at a 60k car is going to balk and say they would have bought if it was ONLY 5k less? Sure there may be a couple here and there, but at that price point Lexus put in all the bells and whistles and the V8 as the only option.

Perfect marketing decision in MY opinion. No need to cheapen the car with a 300 option plus keep in mind the SC430 weighs in at 80-100 lbs more vs the GS series so that 3.0 would have had to work even harder to move it.

Now myself, a 3.0 option would have been nice only for the NA-T conversion but most would not consider that.

To us present SC430 owners, the less out there the better-keep the prices high.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?