Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 08:33 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
Any new word on the new SC? I'm hoping that Lexus takes a MB SL500 and copies the general size/style but adds in the Lexus quality/reliability/technology/value/precision/design cues. In other words, take the current SC and STRETCH it out and make it leaner and longer like the MB SL500. I also would like an All-Wheel Drive Option which would make the car more practical for those of us in winter snow country - thus increasing market potential.
I hope Lexus do that and put the 5.0 V8 in it.
Old 03-05-07, 08:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How come there are so many sc430's on ebay?
Old 03-05-07, 08:47 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides I don't hear people saying that they would buy one if it were cheaper (which would ultimately mean slower) its the car as a whole, thats the love it or hate it issue. I don't think the car is all that bad, its different, it stands out, the interior is class A. The SC430 is just not for everyone, typical of unique automobiles. I don't care for it but I can appreciate it.
Old 03-05-07, 08:50 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How come there are so many sc430's on ebay?
The same reason there are Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, etc... on there. Because they are up for sale. Look up LS430, GS430. Few of those on there as well.
Old 03-05-07, 08:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

I would like to point out to people who thinks the SC430 is not selling as well & as successful as the sc300/400 are mistaken. The public that's actually spending their money to buy new cars in this class rather than just talking about it obviously doesn't think so. It is doing a little better actually I think, with the price being higher & with only the more expensive V8 version available.

Now you can say the luxury car market has been increasing a few % a year so you cannot directly compare sales of the SC300/400 in the early-mid 90's to the SC430's sales early to mid-2000's, but also keep in mind that the SC430 has more competition with more alternative choices from other brands. The don't have the CLK's & SLK AMG's in the early-mid 90's to compete against, which some people cross shop with the SC at about the same price range.

SC430 sales : http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...7s+sold+so+far

I agree with PearlPower that no V6 version should be made to cheapen the model, I am sure most current SC430 owners would agree too.
They will have a V6 IS350 hardtop convertible, so definately no need for a V6 SC in the future either, I will never buy that version for sure.

I do agree that a new redesigned SC is due with so little upgrades made to the current one. I do prefer it remains a 2 seater hardtop convertible though, may be make it more spacious for the front passengers, that's all it needs.

However, I do want to see a large coupe(non-convertible) based on the LS being considered, similar to the CL550. The CL never sold in significant #'s though, it's a small market segment, so unfortunately, I don't think Lexus will consider something like that anytime soon, since they are such a profit oriented company.
Old 03-05-07, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
Oh, really? Have you driven every other Lexus out there and compared compliment rates? I'm not saying your SC doesn't get it's fair share (or more) of compliments, so don't take me wrong.
i will stand by lee on this one.

i am owner of gs400, very few times i got people complimenting my car, but far from "often"

i owned is300, forget about it, i was lucky people didn't think i was a kid

i drove es300, rx300/330, and es350 so many times as loaner. well let's not get there.

i have driven ls430 more than a few times on the road, etc.... nop, people sometimes look at me, but not crazy about it

our sc430, omg... it's literally impossible for people not to look at our cars, make it freeway, locals, or shopping malls. one time we even got 2 gals chasing us down the streets screaming "i love your car!" it's undeniable that the sc430 gets tons more complements
Old 03-05-07, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Och
Show some pics?
shameful plugs? i am putting links here not to make some people throw up

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225319
Old 03-05-07, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and yes, i am with everyone who think there shouldn't be a v6 version of the car. keep it v8, that's why the car is more exclusive and special, not like cars like gs out there where only small percentage of them are the v8 version
Old 03-05-07, 10:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
our sc430, omg... it's literally impossible for people not to look at our cars, make it freeway, locals, or shopping malls. one time we even got 2 gals chasing us down the streets screaming "i love your car!" it's undeniable that the sc430 gets tons more complements
Well for one thing, your sc is tastefully and highly modded.

Do you think you'll get more compliments stock with those pie plates?
Old 03-05-07, 10:42 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i will stand by lee on this one.

i am owner of gs400, very few times i got people complimenting my car, but far from "often"

i owned is300, forget about it, i was lucky people didn't think i was a kid

i drove es300, rx300/330, and es350 so many times as loaner. well let's not get there.

i have driven ls430 more than a few times on the road, etc.... nop, people sometimes look at me, but not crazy about it

Plus do not get me wrong, I would rather not receive the attention. My biggest issue with the car is the attention it gets. Now it aint no Ferrari F430 for sure, but how many of those do you see parked in front of Target or Sears? Plus when I have to raise the top in a parking lot-oh boy. Parents stop and show their kids behind me. Just goes on and on.
Old 03-05-07, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
. Now it aint no Ferrari F430 for sure, but how many of those do you see parked in front of Target or Sears?
Quite a few here in NYC.. Heck here is one next to my car in winter mode.

I see the sc430 in abundance here in NYC just like the the 2nd gen GS.. It is becoming more and more affordable for the wanna be I have arrived crowd. They live in the car but do not live in a house that is there own. One time the 1st gen GS was 57k brand new. Now it is 5700 bucks in some places.. The Sc430 brand new is indeed 60k, now you can get the very same gen Sc430 for 30k and dropping... Sadly, the Sc430 is no longer the exclusive car it once was imo. You will more and more 20 year olds dubbing it out as the price drops even further.
Old 03-05-07, 11:05 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

In the 3 years in NYC, never once saw one. I must have lived in the poor part of town. But serisouly, a Ferrari with bumper guards, just the thought....
Old 03-05-07, 12:19 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In fairness the SC430 looks great with tasteful mods. I don't know I'm honestly a sucker for long wheelbase coupe. SC430 did it's original mission, but it moved away from the heritage of what the Soarer was all about, GT/long wheelbase coupe, hopefully Lexus will base the next SC on the LS platform.
Old 03-05-07, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, if you guys don't think an SC350 would sell, then why did the original SC300 sell so well? I don't have any hard sales figures, but in my area I've seen more original first-gen 300's still on the road than first-gen 400's.....even back when they were still on the market. In fact, they even made some manual-tranny versions of it.
I myself drove the original 300 and 400, and while the 300 didn't quite have the 400's torque, it was better-balanced, rode and handled better (a tough combination to match), and was less front-end-heavy. And, of course, BOTH versions, IMO, were far better-looking than the Audi-TT-like replacement.

In fairness to the second-gen car, though ( and I agree with you guys on this one), it has a superb interior ( better than the old one ) and the retracting power top is a NICE piece of equipment.
Old 03-05-07, 12:39 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with some of the guys.. I would love to see an SC that will be built on an LS platform that will compete head to head with the BMW 6 series, Benz CL/SL.. Three versions should be made..6, 8, 10 cyl.. Heck, an SC-F version with a V10 to go head to head with the M6, and CL63.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC430: A Design Thats Time Has Come And Gone?