Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota MR2

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sliva001
his screen name is blitzo and we are over at spyderchat.com
hello
Old 03-05-07, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
If Toyota hadn't f'd up the MR-S, I'd prob be driving one instead of my S2k. I simply couldn't justify sinking $10-20 grand to get the car the way it should have been from the factory: widebody and turbo. Would have been awesome, tho.
No. The car wasn't supposed to come from the factory as a high-powered sports car. Its main function, at least in the last-generation model, was to be a mid-engine competitor to the Mazda Miata, power-wise and price-wise, though the Miata did have slightly more HP and torque.
Old 03-05-07, 05:40 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the miata had more hp and tq and looked better but was much slower, mostly because of weight. The mr-s wasnt meant to be a performance vehicle, just a weekend back road fun car that was affordable. Its not a car thats for everyone.
Old 03-05-07, 08:18 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. The car wasn't supposed to come from the factory as a high-powered sports car.
Obviously, or else it would have. Nobody prevented Toyota from executing, except themselves. Doesn't change the fact that the car was underwhelming to most everyone, and those that do own one most likely have done an engine swap, a power-adder, or at least wish for more power. Replacing a 200 hp RWD, mid engine model with a new one that has 60+ less horsepower is bizarre and is not the way to capture enthusiasts' hearts. The fact that it was Toyota's only 'sports car' offering made its anemic powertrain even less palateable.
Old 03-05-07, 08:52 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I'm telling ya there's too many bean counters inside Toyota not enough passionate car nuts like us.
Old 03-06-07, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by replica
Replacing a 200 hp RWD, mid engine model with a new one that has 60+ less horsepower is bizarre and is not the way to capture enthusiasts' hearts. :

The second-generation, pre-1995 MR2's also included non-turbo models as well. In fact, the non-turbo model handily outsold the turbo one....at the time, many potential buyers thought, with some justification, that the Turbo was too expensive for what you got.
Old 03-06-07, 10:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The second-generation, pre-1995 MR2's also included non-turbo models as well. In fact, the non-turbo model handily outsold the turbo one....at the time, many potential buyers thought, with some justification, that the Turbo was too expensive for what you got.
That may be true but at least buyers had the choice of a more powerful turbo car that could be very fun and outperform more competition. The last turbo MR2 outperformed the miata and could compare very well with the turbo eclipses, talons, and base boxsters as well as some others. It was also easier to modify to get very high performance. The Turbo gen was also a good looking car with a nice shape where the next generation just looked odd and downmarket and was pretty much outperformed by all competition like the miata and it could not even compare with higher powered cars like the S2000, Z3, boxsters, ecipses, 350Z, RX-8, etc. If they did a proper new generation that had the basic shape as the last which would be pretty good looking had more horsepower/performance with the less expensive NA model and the turbo model then it would outperform most of its competition and could be crossshopped with more models. It would also give Toyota at least one credible performance sports car to have in its lineup. The last MR-S was pretty much a totally different down market model from the previous car, the only thing the shared was a 4 cylinder engine behind the driver. Toyota could have done both cars, the MR-S to compete with miatas and a different more powerful more agressive looking hardtop MR2 replacement to compete with higher performing boxsters, Z3, S2000, 350Z, etc.
Old 03-06-07, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
It would also give Toyota at least one credible performance sports car to have in its lineup.
Don't lose any sleep over the lack of a Toyota-built turbo sports car......it looks like another Supra is on the way.
Old 03-06-07, 01:02 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't lose any sleep over the lack of a Toyota-built turbo sports car......it looks like another Supra is on the way.
Oh nos!
Marshall you can't be serious, you've jumped on the Supra rumor boat?
The only signs of any performance vehicle have been HT-FS, LF-A and IS-F.
None of those fit a turbo-charged coupe Supra replacement.
Old 03-06-07, 01:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

For me, IS coupe & IS-F coupe = Supra replacement.
And if its available with a GETRAG 6 speed option, the better
Old 03-06-07, 03:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Well we have been hearing rumors for 8 years and seeing possible concepts that never bore out. I'll believe a new Supra is on the way when a high up from Toyota says they are doing another one and when it will be out. As for that v-6 hybrid concept thats been floating around recently I think it would make a very bad Supra replacement. Hybrids are unable to sustain high speed runs for any amount of time and they end up draining their batteries and having to tow a couple hundred pounds of dead weight with reduced horsepower. That is the worst thing to do with a sports car like a Supra and enthusiasts are going to pass on it. It has already been seen with the GS450h when put on a track that the batteries run out pretty quickly and it gets outperformed by its competition. Not to mention the unknown reliability of a high performance hybrid and it would be very difficult for owners to tune for more horsepower. Instead of just updating a great car like the last Supra Toyota is just stalling and trying to do something extremely different because their 50K high performance sports car did not set any records with sales and they want this car to sell very well which does not happen in that segment. People want an engine like the previous one or a powerful v-8. I don't think any Supra owners are wanting a hybrid green sports cars just like I don't think any NSX owners wanted a front engined awd model. If Toyota wants to do a hybrid sports car then do it but don't make it the Supra replacement and totally change what the Supra was. Toyota has enough success and money to have a hybrid performance car/coupe, a proper Supra replacement, and a proper MR2 replacment.
Old 03-06-07, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
Oh nos!
Marshall you can't be serious, you've jumped on the Supra rumor boat?
The only signs of any performance vehicle have been HT-FS, LF-A and IS-F.
None of those fit a turbo-charged coupe Supra replacement.
Well, granted, it is not cast in stone yet, but there are signs.
I haven't actually gotten to see it yet personally, but Toyota has shown a concept Supra...I believe one was at the Detroit show, but they didn't bring it down here to D.C.
Toyota is well aware of the criticism from people ( like you and replica) who are waiting for another real sports car....not just something like a Scion tC.
And I don't see any reason why the IS-F platform would not be a good starting point...it is RWD and engineered for 300-plus HP....Supra territory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-07 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 05:33 AM
Koma

Well, granted, it is not cast in stone yet, but there are signs.
I haven't actually gotten to see it yet personally, but Toyota has shown a concept Supra...I believe one was at the Detroit show, but they didn't bring it down here to D.C.
Toyota is well aware of the criticism from people ( like you and replica) who are waiting for another real sports car....not just something like a Scion tC.
And I don't see any reason why the IS-F platform would not be a good starting point...it is RWD and engineered for 300-plus HP....Supra territory.
Well the issue I find is that a Supra built on the IS-F would be bumping into IS-F territory. Both would essentially be the same car, one will be priced lower (probably Supra). The Supra would probably steal sales from IS-F. Only the die hard Lexus owners would buy the IS-F, otherwise everyone would just want the cheaper Supra. But than again rumors were going around about low production numbers on the IS-F, so maybe you're right. Low IS-F numbers for halo version of car and Supra for everyone else.
Old 03-07-07, 03:56 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^^ what he said.

an IS/IS-F coupe with a 6 speed will do it for me. the badge really doesnt matter.
If you thing about it, the IS300/Altezza was basically a 4 door supra.
Old 03-08-07, 05:28 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by MR_F1
^^ what he said.

an IS/IS-F coupe with a 6 speed will do it for me. the badge really doesnt matter.
If you thing about it, the IS300/Altezza was basically a 4 door supra.
SC300
The SCs were built off the same platform, we just lacked the TT engine option.

Quick Reply: Toyota MR2