Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Comparo: Audi RS4 vs. BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 01:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
It all depends on how aggressive the system is. The older VSC system Lexus used was/is a death warrant. Get a little wheel spin while entering a busy street and the computer will take 80% of your power away and leave you helpless until you back off the gas even if you have traction midway into the turn.
The VSC system in Lexus is much worse than you've described. I had three occasions when the VSC in my GS430 kicked in, and each time it almost got me into a severe accident. Once it just cut off throttle when I was trying to make a left onto a busy street out of a driveway, and twice it started kicking the rear of the car around while I was taking a left at higher rate of speed, causing me to almost lose control. And the bad thing, is the system does not completely shut down when u press the VSC off button, because on the latest occasion I had it shut off, and it still kicked in. This system is plain dangerous, and its one of the major reasons why I'm putting my GS for sale this weekend.
Old 03-07-07, 03:31 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And the bad thing, is the system does not completely shut down when u press the VSC off button, because on the latest occasion I had it shut off, and it still kicked in.
You sure about that? Can you describe what happened? I had a 99 GS400 that I'm quite sure the VSC was completely off when I turned it off - runs on the 1/4-mile track and plenty of donuts proved that. Granted, it won't turn off ABS, and your throttle is still electronically controlled no matter what - so maybe it's an issue with your throttle control itself?
Old 03-07-07, 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
You sure about that? Can you describe what happened? I had a 99 GS400 that I'm quite sure the VSC was completely off when I turned it off - runs on the 1/4-mile track and plenty of donuts proved that. Granted, it won't turn off ABS, and your throttle is still electronically controlled no matter what - so maybe it's an issue with your throttle control itself?
I posted a thread about it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203833

See posts #1 and #32. I think whats happening is when you shut VSC off, only traction control shuts off, but the system will still apply brakes or whatever its doing.
Old 03-08-07, 07:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The looks alone do it for me with the Audi.

Exterior and interior, I think it wins hands down.

And a car with that much power makes AWD that much more valued and important in putting it down on the pavement.

Way to go Audi!
I concur. Same here!
Old 03-08-07, 07:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This is why I always said that regular BMW's are a prime example of mediocrity; And their “M” models are just over-clocked mediocrity – sure they are fast, but they are unreliable. It’s just silly with M3 engines blowing up and burning oil, and M5 transmissions not being able to handle the power. I’d take Audi “S” models and MB “AMG” models over BMW” M” models anytime.
It's a bit duplicitous to rail a car for its reliability and then praise Mercedes in the next sentence. If you hadn't noticed, MB is the single least reliable brand in the market today. Worse than Jaguar. Worse than Land Rover. And miles beneath either BMW or Audi.

News of the subpar manual-trannied M5 is disappointing, to be sure, but it's unfair to paint an entire brand because of a disappointing limited edition of a limited edition. I'm a member of one of the most active boards on the e46 3-series (which includes the M3) with almost 90k members, and I can't find a single post in the last 2.5 years regarding a blown engine. And these are guys who (like most car forums) ***** about their cars constantly. There are quite a few engines that are blown--as in forced induction--and running just fine, but none that are actually dead. My own 3er has been quite reliable, needing only a pair of (free) window regulators (which were faulty on pretty much every german car manufactured between 1999 and 2001), a Final Stage Resistor ($61) and a set of (free) brakes over its 7 years and 70k miles. My parents Avalon, while typical Toyota quality, has had more broken things than that.

Last edited by geko29; 03-08-07 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-08-07, 09:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29

News of the subpar manual-trannied M5 is disappointing, to be sure, but it's unfair to paint an entire brand because of a disappointing limited edition of a limited edition. I'm a member of one of the most active boards on the e46 3-series (which includes the M3) with almost 90k members, and I can't find a single post in the last 2.5 years regarding a blown engine. And these are guys who (like most car forums) ***** about their cars constantly. There are quite a few engines that are blown--as in forced induction--and running just fine, but none that are actually dead. My own 3er has been quite reliable, needing only a pair of (free) window regulators (which were faulty on pretty much every german car manufactured between 1999 and 2001), a Final Stage Resistor ($61) and a set of (free) brakes over its 7 years and 70k miles. My parents Avalon, while typical Toyota quality, has had more broken things than that.
Thanks for attempting to dispell a common myth.. I wonder where some truly get their info from regarding BMW reliability?? Not turning this into a debate so don't worry.. Every quarter in the BMW Magazine, they highlight owners of older BMW's with high mileage. In the latest issue which i just recieved in the mail yesterday, There is a gentleman Mr. Bartol who has a 1995 BMW 740I with 500,000 miles on the clock. His prior car was a 535 which had 225,000 which he traded in for this 740. Mr. Bartol had this to say about his 740 BMW thus far

Legendary BMW reliability did not disappoint. Thus far, the only repairs the BMW flagship sedan has required, aside from routine maintainence, were replacing the fuel pump at 300,000 miles, and changing the airconditioning compressor at 100,000 miles later. At the risk of sounding like someone who has one an Academy Award, I would like to recognize a few of the BMW personnel at Tomkinson BMW in Fort Wayne Indiana who have participated in this milestone.
These are great cars... Enjoy them and drive them, and do not buy into the falsehoods

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 03-08-07 at 09:17 AM. Reason: stuck keys