Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M3 Concept at Geneva (Update - Official Specs pg. 8)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 11:37 AM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. that engine is a GREAT. I'm impressed once again from BMW!
Old 03-24-07, 11:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
What do you mean by 'larger tires'? This is too general a statement. Larger tires doesn't necessarily tend to be wider, but again, what's your definition of "larger"? And why should FWD cars optimally should have smaller tires than RWD cars? Should a Cadillac Seville, DTS or an Acura TL have smaller tires than an MR2 or Smart ForTwo?

Smaller rims, or should I say, smaller overall diameter rims and tires package, will improve performance because of lower weight/inertia, but at the cost of stability and gas mileage (more revs to cover the same distance).

I hope you are not making personal attack and saying that I am silly just because I personally think that 19" is too big for cars in the size of the M3 and the IS-F.
Do you think a Lexus LS should have smaller tires than a Rolls Royce Phantom? On average, FWD cars should not have 19" or larger tires, as those are not the optimal size for most FWD cars. With RWD, there are many stock factory cars with 19" or larger rims.

By "larger" I mean to say diameter-wise. I said on average, they tend to be wider. Your average 18" tire tends to be wider than your average 15" tire, wouldn't you agree?

A larger rim in fact will be detrimental to fuel economy, not a smaller rim. The engine has to work harder with larger rims, and because of their added weight they reduce fuel economy. That's the reason why the Prius has such small tires.

Anyways, this argument itself is too vague and general, and like SICK said, I would trust that the engineers know the optimal tire diameter and width for each vehicle they make.
Old 03-24-07, 12:00 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's a nice flat torque curve, but again ... low overall torque. The IS350's 2GR-FSE torque curve isn't too far from this one actually.

An interesting point actually. The 2GR-FSE makes about 250 lb-ft torque at 2000 RPM, virtually the same as this engine. Then at the other end of the spectrum. the 2GR-FSE makes about 250 lb-ft at 6500 RPM as well. The torque curves of both engines are very comparable in fact, although the BMW obviously makes a lot more HP, which makes sense since it revs much higher than the 2GR-FSE.
But gearing is a lot more aggressive on the M3 than the IS350. We'll see if the IS-F will have as aggressive gearing as the M3 or if it will be more along the lines of comfort/luxury.

Not sure the torque curve of the IS350, is it flat as well?
Old 03-24-07, 12:05 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There may be great deal of E46 M3 trade-ins for this new E92 M3.. E46 will be a great used car bargain for those who always wanted one at a lower price.
Old 03-24-07, 12:09 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

A larger rim in fact will be detrimental to fuel economy, not a smaller rim. The engine has to work harder with larger rims, and because of their added weight they reduce fuel economy. That's the reason why the Prius has such small tires.
This thread is not about tires so I am going to stop after this post. But I want to clarify that, it's the overall diameter of the tire and the rim, not just the rim itself, that affect the fuel economey. A smaller rim with taller tires will help cruising and coasting fuel economy than a larger rim with shorter tires as long as the smaller rim/tall tires combo has a larger diameter and is lighter than the larger rim/shorter tires combo. If the weight of the combo are the same, ignoring the traction of the tires, the one with the smaller diameter combo may have a slight advantage in stop-and-go low speed traffic though.

I would also trust that the engineers know the optimal tire diameter and width for each vehicle they make, but too bad most of the time its the marketing and accounting departments in the mass-produced automobile company who made the decision. Man, if engineers made all the final decisions, then we shouldn't see 22"+ dubs or no-spoke, fully covered rims on the market at all.
Old 03-24-07, 12:12 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
E46 will be a great used car bargain for those who always wanted one at a lower price.
As long as the crank bearing shell issu is fixed
Old 03-24-07, 01:35 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Take a look at these videos: Just listen to that engine!.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wKdSq9zj2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_JK...elated&search=
Old 03-24-07, 01:50 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, lets all go back to discussing this new car.

After speaking to 10 or so E46 M3 owners, they like the specs, hate the look. Two tole me they laughed at the raised hood on the IS and now the M3 has the same thing.

I think the new cars looks are going to help the E46 hold values even better.

Surely though, the new car will be a better performer in NUMBERS in all aspects. Will it "feel" better remains to be seen.

Old 03-24-07, 01:51 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Don't jump to conclusions, I wasn't making a snide response.

As for tires, think of it this way ... larger tires tend to be wider, on average, than smaller tires. More tread means more grip. It depends of course on the car you're talking about, and all cars have an optimal tire size. FWD cars optimally should have smaller tires than RWD cars.

There is obviously a point when too much tread is bad, and the tire size becomes detrimental, but it all goes back to optimal tire size for each car.
Thanks, that's more of the sort of answer I was looking for.
Old 03-24-07, 02:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
But gearing is a lot more aggressive on the M3 than the IS350. We'll see if the IS-F will have as aggressive gearing as the M3 or if it will be more along the lines of comfort/luxury.

Not sure the torque curve of the IS350, is it flat as well?

Then there is also the matter to consider of the BMW V8 being heavier than The IS350's V6, but that shouldn't be a surprise. We don't know the exact gearing for the IS-F yet, but Lexus has released info that the 8 speed in the IS-F shifts in only 100 milliseconds. So it shifts faster than an IS350, and it comes with a torque converter lock-up.

And yes, the IS350's torque curve is pretty much flat. Torque dips a bit around 3500 RPM, but then quickly goes up and stays up all the way until redline.

Old 03-24-07, 02:27 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mavericck
God I love that engine...love that car. I'm #6 at my BMW dealer. Great vids! thx
Old 03-24-07, 02:30 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't know Audi guys were allowed to compliment BMWs...
Old 03-24-07, 02:31 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Then there is also the matter to consider of the BMW V8 being heavier than The IS350's V6, but that shouldn't be a surprise. We don't know the exact gearing for the IS-F yet, but Lexus has released info that the 8 speed in the IS-F shifts in only 100 milliseconds. So it shifts faster than an IS350, and it comes with a torque converter lock-up.

And yes, the IS350's torque curve is pretty much flat. Torque dips a bit around 3500 RPM, but then quickly goes up and stays up all the way until redline.

How much does the Lexus V6 weigh?
Old 03-24-07, 02:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

How much does the Lexus V6 weigh?
I have the exact number buried in some file somewhere, but I am 99% sure the 2GR-FSE weighs 399 lbs, or 181 kg.