Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac CTS-V woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 10:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Cadillac CTS-V woes

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...a500aa04d9.htm

Seems nice on paper...the real experience for this owner.
NWS for some language. (Very understandable.)
Lemon?
Old 03-06-07, 10:34 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I love that car too. What a lemon!
Old 03-06-07, 10:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

repost i think
Old 03-06-07, 11:03 PM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

Not again!!!

It's sad this video was even posted on Streetfire to begin with (home of the 16 y/o Internet bench racer). Yea, I understand his frustration with his car, but the only things that video established is that his car has problems, his local dealership(s) have not properly addressed his b1tching and that he likes to hear himself talk. Thanks for damaging the rest of the CTS-V owners who enjoy their car and service experience.

The CTS-V has a couple significant flaws... namely interior trim and a fragile driveline... don't expect to cut 1.8 60-fts. on drag radials with 400+ ft-# on tap and an aluminum housing in the rear. Otherwise, it's a very enjoyable, capable car for the money. Myself and many others have logged 20,000+ mis. with heavy mods and few reliability concerns. In this case, his problem stemmed from a faulty crankshaft position sensor, which is not normally seen on bone-stock production LSx engines, but otherwise an easy fix. To prevent further damage (anything from spark knock to fuel wash-down), he should have pulled over, called the NEAREST dealership, had it towed for service and take a rental home. A dealership who cares would flatbed the vehicle back to the owner for delivery after the repair is complete.

Driving it 150 miles in limp-home mode on a bad sensor is his fault. If he wanted to Lemon Law the car, posting it on skreetflame is the wrong way to go about it, and no manufacturer is faultless (BMW M3 crank bearings, Toyota's oil sludge and ball joint failures, Honda's FWD V6 auto trannies, etc.). The real problem here is the Cadillac/GM dealer network. The CTS-V is the only vehicle Cadillac sells with the pushrod LSx engine and manual transmission. Just 2461 units were produced in 2004 and 3508 in 2005. Dealers need to be better educated about these cars, but some never even see a V pass through. What Cadillac needs to do is offer a V-series certification program like the Corvette.

Last edited by JerryRig; 03-06-07 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 11:06 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^^ u would be right
Old 03-07-07, 12:16 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JerryRig
Driving it 150 miles in limp-home mode on a bad sensor is his fault. If he wanted to Lemon Law the car, posting it on skreetflame is the wrong way to go about it...
But didnt say he allready gave the dealership 3 opportunities to fix the problem? I'd be mad if they didnt get it right after the seccond time.
Old 03-07-07, 12:37 AM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, he did mention it went back to the same dealer 3 times... by the third trip, I'd find someone else. I'm not sure if it went in each time for the same misfire issue though-- I know he's also had the rearend and an axle halfshaft replaced before. Nevertheless, I'd be pissed too; maybe I'm lucky since the dealers near me take care of my car and always give me a new loaner CTS sport, SRX or Escalade.
Old 03-07-07, 02:18 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

The Lemon Law requres you to give them 3 opprotunities to fix the problem before you lemon law the vehicle. Unless it dosent apply to all states.
Old 03-07-07, 05:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I guess he should buy a Lexus...
Old 03-07-07, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

AUTOWEEK magazine, I remember, when they four-seasons-tested their CTS-V, had numerous problems with it, including differential problems. Other long-range tests in other mags have also reported problems.

I cannot honestly recommend any CTS, V or non-V. Like the trouble-plagued Catera before it, the CTS, confirmed by Consuner Reports, has had a well-below-average reliablity record.
Old 03-07-07, 07:22 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Well.. atleast those V-Series cars have looks going for them!
Old 03-07-07, 07:52 AM
JerryRig
Driver School Candidate

I haven't had any significant problems with mine. The LSx engine makes gobs of power, mods are addictive and it's a blast to drive. However, due to the finicky nature of the drivetrain, I can't recommend this car to anyone other than a true enthusiast who really understands how things work.

Consumer Reports won't tell me much more than which watered-down econobox their marketing dept. thinks is a 'good buy.'
Old 03-07-07, 12:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Granted, it wasn't very smart to limp the car the distance he did. Exhaust leak...yeah, floor it when the car isn't able to ignite the fuel properly and it smells? I did find some nice modded CTS-V's ones on that video site too.

I've heard of various Lexus in limp mode and the owners are wise enough to drive it a few miles to a safe location for a tow.
Old 03-07-07, 03:52 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All of the symptoms jonsey reported were consistent with the ECU having defaulted to "limp home" for some reason. The dead tach, cruise control, rough running, and limited speed should have told him something. It appears that the owner had not even bothered to read the manual. How can he call himself an enthusiast without even a rudimentary knowledge of his vehicle?

Certainly Cadillac was at fault here, the bad crank position sensor, the shorted wiring harness, the badly damaged diff - but far worse was the OnStar service that failed to offer any kind of help. I think it's a cultural thing, particularly with US made cars. Your car left you stranded? Gee, buddy, tough luck! Customer service means nothing to most automakers. Even Lexus, who puts a premium on service, cannot fully control the service extended by its dealer network. Only a committed dealer can do that.

What should have happened is that OnStar service should have rolled a flatbed and a replacement car to intercept the owner the instant their remote diagnosis indicated a serious problem. No questions asked, no blaming Enterprise, no excuses of any kind. You have a customer with a $50K product of yours stuck out there on the road getting madder by the minute.

You need to roll every kind of support you can think of before he does any more damage to the car or to himself. You have his position from the Nav location transmitted by OnStar, you stay in touch and if he's on the road, stay on the line with him while you direct him to a reasonable restaurant or coffee shop where you send in the troops. Oh yeah, and you pick up his tab for dinner.

The cost? Nothing compared to the ill will and bad publicity jonesy produced with his little tirade. When you are dealing with a customer, particularly one who's experienced these same kind of problems before and is on the verge of having you eat your expensive toy, you take care of him - NOW. You want to build customer loyalty? That's how.
Old 03-07-07, 04:11 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM
The Lemon Law requres you to give them 3 opprotunities to fix the problem before you lemon law the vehicle. Unless it dosent apply to all states.
Lemon Laws are not consistant from state-to-state.

Quick Reply: Cadillac CTS-V woes