Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 05:20 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
The article was glamorized to get the author's point across, I agree. Still, it does help make the argument that there's more to the story of hybrids than just good gas mileage.
I think this is one of the few times we'll actually agree.
Hybrid batteries are hard to dispose of. They may be green now but later when we need to chuck them out, it might not be too earth friendly.

It is sensational writing but I think you're just trying to point out that their are flaws in the design.
Old 03-08-07, 05:26 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Well.... That's just technological advances. A little sacrifice is required for gain.
exactly what i think....

everyone is quick to criticise the wrong in this, but what about all the good that this tech is bringing forth not only for toyota, but for every car company that will follow suit.

"one step backward, two steps forward"
Old 03-08-07, 06:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems a stretch to tie Toyota to this implying it is an issue associated with any vehicle, especially when you look at the middlemen before Toyota even has access to the material. Looks like a Canadian government issue along with the actual mining company long before it is a Toyota issue.
Old 03-08-07, 11:41 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also consider from an environmental standpoint that the Prius uses NiMH batteries which (at least for household batteries) is considered non-hazardous waste, except in California.

"Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery."

taken from:
http://www.toyota.com/about/environm...04/hybrid.html
Old 03-08-07, 11:54 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cal_alum98
"Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery."

taken from:
http://www.toyota.com/about/environm...04/hybrid.html
That's certainly good, even though the cost is passed on to the original buyer. But then anther point comes up... there's the environmental impact and cost of shipping the batteries to the plant that recycles them (is that overseas too?). Then the environmental impact and cost of the actual recycling, which probably includes the use of strong solvents, melting of the metals, grinding up plastic, etc. Better than throwing them into a garbage dump, though.
Old 03-08-07, 01:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

There are many environmental impacts due to the industrial process of fabrication. Some of these get publicity like this, maybe at some point locals will seek more efficient less damaging processes. In the meantime, many accept this as the side-effect for such developments. What can you do given the technology at hand? The effects aren't always known at the onset. Lead, asbestos...soo many chemicals and by-products, the impact will not be known for years, decades maybe centuries. By then, it has become an accepted process and then it requires change.

Not much different than the current push for a ban on trans fats in food preparation.
Old 03-08-07, 08:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
lol those hollywood stars that are so concerned about the environment....

live in 10,000 sq ft plus homes that only have 2-3 people in there. That have massive landscaping that require sprinklers all the time, that have huge swimming pools that require energy to run, not to mention they fly private jet which wastes a lot of fuel per person than a commercial airliner...

which makes driving a prius doesn't do all that much....
Not mention all of them own(ed) <12MPG BMW/Mercedes V12s like the SL600/S600/750iL or Li, H1s/H1s, Rolls-Royces, Bentleys, and Ferraris. I see the Hollywood elite as hypocritical. And that article is bunk, probably put out by some pro-Detroit firm or something...
Old 03-09-07, 05:51 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to save the world, wipe out the human race.
As humans we have destroyed the world but I doubt anyone wants to start jumping ship.
It's a fact that we face with anything we do. Even when it comes down to producing food we pollute the environment. I mean yes we can be less wasteful and try to develop better techniques but humans don't bode well on the Earth. Oh well, personally I love my gas guzzling petrol engines.