Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 05:49 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness

Some more to chew on... Things aren't always as glamorous as they seem.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1770

The 'green-living' Toyota Prius has become the ultimate statement for those seeking to stress their commitment to the environment.

However, the environment-saving credentials of the cars are seriously undermined by the disclosure that one of the car's essential components is produced at a factory that has created devastation likened to the arid environment of the moon.

So many plants and trees around the factory at Sudbury in Ontario, Canada, have died that astronauts from Nasa practised driving moon buggies on the outskirts of the city because it was considered the closest thing on earth to the rocky lunar landscape.

Unlike normal cars, hybrids such as the Prius, whose proud owners include Gwyneth Paltrow, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts and ex-Tory leader Michael Howard, are powered by a battery that contains nickel - as well as a traditional petrol engine.

Toyota gets the metal from a Canadian company whose smelting facility at Sudbury has spewed sulphur dioxide into the air for more than a century.

The car giant buys about 1,000 tons a year from the plant, which is owned by Inco, one of the world's largest nickel-mining companies.

Fumes emerging from the factory are so poisonous that they have destroyed vegetation in the surrounding countryside, turning the once-beautiful landscape into the bare, rocky terrain astronauts might expect to find in outer space.

Although efforts have been made in recent years to reduce emissions from the plant's 1,250ft chimney - dubbed the Superstack - campaigners say the factory is still respon-sible for some of the worst pollution in North America.

David Martin, energy co-ordinator of Greenpeace Canada, said: "The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside.

"The solution they came up with was the Superstack. The idea was to dilute the pollution, but all it did was spread the fallout right across northern Ontario. Things improved in the Nineties but the plant is still responsible for large-scale emissions of sulphur dioxide.

"Sudbury remains a major environmental and health problem. The environmental cost of producing that car battery is pretty high."

Once the nickel is smelted it is sent 10,000 miles on a container ship journey which in itself consumes vast quantities of fuel and energy.

First it is shipped to Europe's biggest nickel refinery at Clydach near Swansea, South Wales. From there it is transported to the Chinese cities of Dalian and Shenyang to be turned into a lightweight substance called nickel foam.

The final stage of the manufacturing process takes place in Japan where the Prius batteries are made.

Toyota produced nearly 180,000 Prius cars last year, some 4,000 of which were sold in Britain. Last week 14 MPs from all parties claimed they had exchanged their petrol-guzzling vehicles for a Prius or similar hybrid.

But some experts doubt whether the Prius even wins the argument over fuel consumption.

Robert Fowler, of the Battery Vehicle Association, said: "It is questionable whether it does any more miles to the gallon than a good diesel.

"The hybrid system has a very small battery so most of the time it's operating as a petrol car, particularly out of town and above 30mph."

A Toyota spokesman said last night: "I cannot confirm the source of the nickel used in the Prius battery. It is true there is a slight increase in the energy required to produce the materials for the car."
Old 03-07-07, 06:07 PM
xioix
Racer

Didn't take you to be an national enquire reader
Old 03-07-07, 06:13 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

have u seen china?

boycott all chinese products...ooops that everything! =/
Old 03-07-07, 06:40 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inco_Superstack

After reading this, it looks like a vast majority of the environmental damage was done years ago, well before the Prius ever hit the streets. This factory is not an actual Toyota-owned factory, but rather a source of materials deep in it's supply chain. Could this be the media creating sensational headlines? Naaaah...
Old 03-07-07, 06:51 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not a Toyota factory (as mentioned in the title) and that damage was far from entirely if even primarily caused by the needs of the Prius.

I mean you know that components of crude oil are used in the production of plastic panels in PC and laptop casings, right? So would it be fair for me to show a picture of an oil spill in the ocean and write about animals sufferings and thousands of miles of coastal landscape being ruined all because of a "Dell ship" crashing, when in all actuality it's a crude oil ship that supplies the oil that eventually acts as a component to make thousands of products, INCLUDING a small part of Dell PCs?

That wouldn't be accurate or fair at all.
Old 03-07-07, 06:54 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

So you're saying that assembly and disposal of car batteries doesn't have an impact on the environment?

Blinders, guys... blinders...

Old 03-07-07, 07:22 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Ever been to Sudbury? They took that picture in the winter to make it look worse than it is. I am not saying it's good, it isn't - but the article exaggerates in a big way. For example - NASA used it as a training facility because the ground is saturated with nickel and iron, which likens it to the surface of the moon; not because the factory has turned it into the moon.
Old 03-07-07, 07:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
So you're saying that assembly and disposal of car batteries doesn't have an impact on the environment?
Me? No, I'm not saying they don't. They do. In fact that's the primary reason why I think all of the hippies driving around in hybrid cars aren't doing nearly as much good for the environment as they'd like to believe, even if the batteries can be recycled.

I am however saying that the article was ridiculous and written very very poorly by somebody trying to make an impact in a given direction more than an accurate point or a balanced assessment.

That's really funny if you intended that for me - you should know by now I say what I think and I am fairly balanced when it comes to car brands.
Old 03-07-07, 07:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

[QUOTE=cal_alum98;2470700]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inco_Superstack

After reading this, it looks like a vast majority of the environmental damage was done years ago, well before the Prius ever hit the streets.QUOTE]

that wont stop the media...
Old 03-07-07, 08:06 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
That's really funny if you intended that for me - you should know by now I say what I think and I am fairly balanced when it comes to car brands.
Certainly not (and I do know that you're fair). Your post wasn't in the thread yet when I hit "reply". I was actually responding to the previous messages.

The article was glamorized to get the author's point across, I agree. Still, it does help make the argument that there's more to the story of hybrids than just good gas mileage.
Old 03-07-07, 08:08 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
Me? No, I'm not saying they don't. They do. In fact that's the primary reason why I think all of the hippies driving around in hybrid cars aren't doing nearly as much good for the environment as they'd like to believe, even if the batteries can be recycled.
lol those hollywood stars that are so concerned about the environment....

live in 10,000 sq ft plus homes that only have 2-3 people in there. That have massive landscaping that require sprinklers all the time, that have huge swimming pools that require energy to run, not to mention they fly private jet which wastes a lot of fuel per person than a commercial airliner...

which makes driving a prius doesn't do all that much....
Old 03-07-07, 10:54 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
which makes driving a prius doesn't do all that much....
By lending their names to environmental consciousness, they are helping the environment. When people see their favourite celebrities driving around in H2s, they want to be like them. Likewise for when they see them in a hybrid.

As for the article, it's ridiculous. The title states it's a Toyota factory when it's not. Zero journalistic integrity. Typical of a world becoming increasingly polarized.
Old 03-08-07, 12:59 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_

That's funny, I was expecting you to use that picture. I never claimed that assembly and disposal of car batteries does not affect the environment. My point is that the majority of the damage noted in the article was done before the Prius entered production and that the article's reporting is of dubious quality.

Some people like to pooh-pooh hybrid technology by pointing to the initial energy costs/environmental impact required to manufacture a hybrid while overlooking the overall impact/cost over the lifetime of the product.
Old 03-08-07, 01:48 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

here's a goood one

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1773

this site is dumber than the national enquirer
Old 03-08-07, 02:14 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Well.... That's just technological advances. A little sacrifice is required for gain.

Last edited by sleeper408; 03-08-07 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness