Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes List Rides of Cheapskates Billionaires . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 07:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Forbes List Rides of Cheapskates Billionaires . . .

Billions in the Bank, Bargains on the Drive
Some of the world's top billionaires would rather drive a boring Buick than a million-dollar Bugatti.

by Nate Chapnick
ForbesAutos.comPublished on 03/06/2007

Slideshow : CLICK : Billionaires' Cheap Rides

Warren Buffett is the second wealthiest person on the planet and is content to drive a Cadillac.
Unlike mere millionaires, who may flaunt wealth with flashy rides, some of the world’s top billionaires own cars as utterly average as their middle-class childhoods. At least five of the wealthiest people in the world share traits that make them thrifty when it comes to cars.
One reason is simply age. “By the time a person has become a billionaire, if they haven’t inherited it, they are often older,” says Rod Westmoreland, a private wealth advisor for Merrill Lynch’s Private Banking & Investment Group. “Flashy, expensive cars are not a priority for these people.”

Billionaire Warren Buffett, the second richest person in the world, according to the 2007 Forbes list of the wealthiest people and among our roster of five frugal billionaires, recently traded in a six-year-old Lincoln Town Car for a 2006 Cadillac DTS. Granted those are both luxury cars, these traditional American sedans cost a fraction of the price of a Bentley or Rolls-Royce and are frumpy compared to exotic sports cars. “Sometimes, it’s just not practical for a 60- to 70-year-old to squeeze into a Ferrari or Lamborghini,” says Tom Stanley, wealth expert and author of The Millionaire Mind and his yet-to-be-released book, Acting Rich in America.

Establishing lasting family values for future generations and working philanthropically take priority over buying expensive things for many of the world’s aging billionaires. “They spend a lot of time giving away their money and their main goal in life is to solve big world problems, and that is why the car becomes less important,” says Milton Pedraza, CEO of the Luxury Institute, a New York City-based research firm.

Billionaires tend to have a high level of confidence and self-assuredness, which can guide what vehicles they choose to own. Bill Bartmann, author of Billionaire Secrets to Success, says that once someone reaches billionaire status “it’s not about showing off the car, the clothing or the house. More often, billionaires are trying to preserve their business, their family and their wealth.”

A stable, middle-class upbringing can also shape billionaires’ spending habits after they strike it rich. “Generally, we find that most billionaires come from very typical middle-class backgrounds,” says Stanley. “They never had to worry about having enough food to eat and were never deprived growing up. They don’t have to look back and compensate for any deprivations they had.”

One example is Jim Walton, heir to the fortune his father Sam Walton created through Wal-Mart. He drives a 15-year-old Dodge Dakota pickup and is number 23 on this year’s billionaires list. Jim and his billionaire sister Alice, who also drives a pickup — a 2006 Ford F-150 — had a notoriously frugal and conservative father who must have instilled similar values in his children. One thing’s for sure, the fact that Jim and Alice Walton drive pickups and not Porsches makes them the opposite of most of the ultra-wealthy who are born into money. “If wealth was inherited, then a billionaire is much more likely to indulge in exotic cars and other such luxury goods,” says the Luxury Institute’s Pedraza.

The kinds of businesses self-made billionaires own and run may dictate their spending habits. For example, Ingvar Kamprad, Ikea founder, built his massive wealth from selling low-price Swedish furniture and home goods. He drives a Volvo that’s nearly 15 years old. “Ikea’s target customer is not driving a Bentley or Rolls-Royce,” Pedraza says. They probably drive Swedish Saabs and Volvos, like Kamprad. The same can be said about the Walton Wal-Mart heirs, who drive pickup trucks like many Wal-Mart shoppers do.

We've tracked down Department of Motor Vehicles records to find out what some of the wealthiest people in the world drive, and according to those records, the five frugal billionaires we highlight spend their money on things other than pricey cars. “Many high-net individuals focus more on their businesses, running their foundations and contributing to their communities than they do on indulging themselves,” says Merrill Lynch’s Westmoreland.
http://www.forbesautos.com/news/feat...l?partner=blog
Old 03-09-07, 08:08 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would like to test this theory, someone give me a billion dollars for one year (I keep the interest).
Let's see, have a billion dollars and ride in a hoopty or stay poor and drive what I drive?
Hmmmm, someone have some spare change I can borrow?
Old 03-09-07, 08:45 AM
RiceMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was a billionaire, I'll probably be driving a minivan or some lame POS too.....that's because I'll be too busy riding 20 hot fine juicy booties!!!

Flaunting a stock Veyron/lambo or Ferrari just means one is too poor and not rich enough. A 500ft yacht full of hot babes is where it's at!!
Old 03-09-07, 03:29 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Rice, some billionaires don't care much for automobiles but mega-yachts instead. If I were a billionaire though, I would probably have a nice little collection of autos.
Old 03-09-07, 03:37 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The article is basically, however, the theory should've been worded differently.

It's not that billionaires are frugal and don't care about nice cars per se. But rather, had these wealthy individuals not been thrifty to begin with, they might not have accumulated this much wealth at all.

What separates between your average millionaires and billionaires is mostly the mentality, or vanity (as I like to call it).

Jon
Old 03-09-07, 09:29 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post "The Wealthier Persons Driving the Cheapest Cars"

What would you drive if you had a few billions in your pocket? A Veyron or an Enzo? What do you think that the richest men on planet drive? If you want to answer Lamborghini of Ferrari, well think again because this is not at all that they drive. Try a 2006 Cadillac DTS or a 15-year-old Dodge Dakota pickup.

Billionaire Warren Buffett, the second richest person in the world, according to the 2007 Forbes list of the wealthiest people and among our roster of five frugal billionaires, recently traded in a six-year-old Lincoln Town Car for a 2006 Cadillac DTS. Granted those are both luxury cars, these traditional American sedans cost a fraction of the price of a Bentley or Rolls-Royce and are frumpy compared to exotic sports cars. “Sometimes, it’s just not practical for a 60- to 70-year-old to squeeze into a Ferrari or Lamborghini,” says Tom Stanley, wealth expert and author of The Millionaire Mind and his yet-to-be-released book, Acting Rich in America.

Warren Buffett
Net Worth: $52 billion
Vehicle: 2006 Cadillac DTS

Ingvar Kamprad
Net Worth: $33 billion
Vehicle: 1993 Volvo 240 GL

Jim Walton
Net Worth: $16.8 billion
Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota

Sergey Brin
Net Worth: $16.6 billion
Vehicle: Toyota Prius

Steve Ballmer
Net Worth: $15 billion
Vehicle: 1998 Lincoln Continental

Old 03-10-07, 06:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

repost 1000x
Old 03-10-07, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I've also posted, several times, ( though it has not drawn much response ) about how the late Ferrari chief, Enzo Ferrari, himself, for years, drove a econobox Fiat 128 as his own personal car and daily driver. People were amazed at this, particularly whan he could have his pick of any of the company's exotics, any time he wanted. But he, himself, in his private life, was not a sports-car fanatic....to him, sports cars and racing was a buisness, not personal pleasure.
Old 03-10-07, 06:55 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I would like to test this theory, someone give me a billion dollars for one year (I keep the interest).
Let's see, have a billion dollars and ride in a hoopty or stay poor and drive what I drive?
Hmmmm, someone have some spare change I can borrow?
LOL thats a ****load of interest if you go to a certain bank.

Pretty much almost $40 million.
Old 03-10-07, 02:49 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Ingvar is a ****....just thought I'de bring that up.
Old 03-10-07, 04:12 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've also posted, several times, ( though it has not drawn much response ) about how the late Ferrari chief, Enzo Ferrari, himself, for years, drove a econobox Fiat 128 as his own personal car and daily driver. People were amazed at this, particularly whan he could have his pick of any of the company's exotics, any time he wanted. But he, himself, in his private life, was not a sports-car fanatic....to him, sports cars and racing was a buisness, not personal pleasure.
Racing was his passion, selling sports cars was his way of financing it
Old 03-10-07, 04:33 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mavericck
Ingvar is a ****....just thought I'de bring that up.
Ive seen a few interviews of him...and he shure is a wierd old fart!
Old 03-10-07, 04:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
perhaps that is why Ferrari is so successful
he doesnt let his personal feelings get in the way of business
Old 03-10-07, 06:34 PM
RiceMaster
Rookie

What about the Sultan of Brunei? Forbes is an unhip mag just like it's dorky owner, this is why we get this list of old rich dudes who couldn't careless about what kind of car they drive.