Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS460L vs BMW 750i vs Benz S550 vs Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 06:00 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post LS460L vs BMW 750i vs Benz S550 vs Audi A8

If you drive a BMW, Mercedes or Audi luxury sedan, this Lexus may spoil you forever.

As you know, I have been driving the new Lexus GS450h as my daily driver and I can tell you I couldn't be more impressed with this little rocketship.

So impressed, that I was hesitant to swap it out this weekend for the new LS460L that I was featuring on my Fox news show.

But that hesitancy soon faded when I saw the LS next to the GS and I started to drive it...

As you can see from the photos, I was picking up the new LS460L with the executive package (complete with reclining massaging seat with ottoman, self-park system, etc.). The first thing you notice is the size difference of the new LS.

It is quite a bit larger than the last LS and in real life it has a beautiful statuesque presence.

And that white pearl paint job!!!! No one does paint better!

It always looks wet and three dimensional.

And more expensive looking than the competition.

But the thing that REALLY gets you on this car is the LUXURY.

I’m convinced that no one understands what Americans want in their luxury car better than Lexus.

And although I’m the one who usually prefers a driver oriented car (like a BMW) this new LS is swaying me because it is SO good.

As I get seduced by the leather and alcantara surrounding me I start asking myself, do I really need to have a car that can take a turn at 120mph in Southern California or do I NEED to be pampered and spoiled with a car whose electronics work flawlessly (Nav, Bluetooth, Audio, etc.) and better than anyone else on the radar screen?

Hmmm…I seem to be facing a real dilemma.

Then the emotional side of my brain says pipes in and says…001, it doesn’t drive as good a BMW 750, new S-Class or Audi A8.

But the practical side of me pipes right back and says…But the drive quality is VERY close to the S550, BMW 750 or Audi A8. Still not as driver oriented, but damn close.

And this car will actually work reliably during its relationship with me and never let me down like I know the others will.

Plus, for the first time in its evolution, the design of this car is GORGEOUS.

Test drive one and watch the gawkers go crazy when you pull up beside them.

This is a car that looks SO much better than the photos when its driving down the road, you need to withhold judgment until you see it in person.

Not as good looking in my opinion as the new S550 sport (close) but better looking than the BMW 750 and Audi A8.

What about price?

Comparably equipped, it’s also a relative bargain compared to the competitors.

So what’s a car freak to do?

The decision between all these models has become harder than ever…they’re ALL great.

For the first time ever in my opinion, there is no runaway winner in this segment…it all boils down to which one YOU like best or how much you want to spend.

This is one HARD decision!
Old 03-13-07, 06:34 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Give me the LS460L with the 19 inch wheels. The Benz arches killed me. The 750 is dated and not a big fan of having my LUXURY CAR being sporty (is all about looking good and feeling good) Audi i'm not feeling them I hate that big mouth in the front looks like a fish
Old 03-13-07, 06:36 PM
Lexwang07

Lexus LS460L is a very nice luxury car ever built by human being! I am lovin it so much!
Old 03-13-07, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Like this article says - the white pearl paint on all new Lexus models is just unbelievably incredible.
Old 03-13-07, 07:25 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Whenever I see the new LS460 it just "wow" me all over. It is just beautiful in person.
Old 03-13-07, 09:55 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a black one today (LS460L) and though they have become regulars lately. They look better and better each time I see them. I think I know what my next car will be.
Old 03-13-07, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

saw a silver 460l on the freeway the other day and i followed it for couple of miles. gosh it was so dangerous coz' i almost wasn't looking at the road at all
Old 03-13-07, 11:40 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I like the LS460, it's more of a subtle presence on the road, it's not as flashy as the 7 Series or even the wild S-Class.

The LS is the bang for the buck in my opinion though.
Old 03-14-07, 11:28 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I see a lot of new LS's in my area. My gf said, "it looks like a BMW, I like it." Regardless of what it looks like, I think the new body style was a big improvement. The old one in stock (not VIP) form look more like an old man's car. This car definitely looks more modern. I test drove the hybrid at the Taste of Lexus. Rode great, accelerated fine. I also test drove the new 7, which I prefer in looks. The 7 drove better (sportier) while the Lexus felt more luxurious, this was to be expected.

I like the way Lexus is going and hope they continue to become edgier in the styling department as opposed to conservative. Just my opinion.

Oh, the A8 is my absolutely favorite as far as looks goes. Haven't had a chance to drive one though.
Old 03-14-07, 12:00 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

the new LS460 and LS460L...they a haven't become as popular here in Torrance (which is interesting since Toyota/Lexus headquarters are here...) but each time I see one on the road, it does get better and better, and i have to agree that for some odd reason, Lexus cars aren't photogenic, but they look very very good when they're on the road. The LS460 has quite a road presence. In my opinion the new MB S Class looks too try-hard in the sporting and flair department and the bangle 7...is...a Bangle 7. I think that the LS460 and the Audi A8 have a very different presence compared to the 7 and the S Class, and it's a positive kind of different. It's more...majestic (especially the LS) and rather gives off a very old money feel. What's weird to me is how the Merc S class now doesn't give off the old money atmosphere, but it seems like the model caters more to the nouveau riche...
Old 03-14-07, 12:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The new S class is just disgusting, at least to me. In the same bling bling way as a Caddy Escalade. While the Bangle 7 series is just downright ugly, the S class is downright disgusting.

The LS is aight, it would be nicer if it didn't look like a Camry or ES... Or better yet, if ES and Camry didn't look like LS.

But Audi A8L is just stunningly gorgeous. The other day I saw a dark blue W12 A8L, I was frigging drooling all over. The car is just pure sex.
Old 03-14-07, 12:31 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

don't we already have enough talk about the LS460L vs BMW 750i vs Benz S550 vs Audi A8?
Old 03-14-07, 12:43 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
The new S class is just disgusting, at least to me. In the same bling bling way as a Caddy Escalade. While the Bangle 7 series is just downright ugly, the S class is downright disgusting.

The LS is aight, it would be nicer if it didn't look like a Camry or ES... Or better yet, if ES and Camry didn't look like LS.

But Audi A8L is just stunningly gorgeous. The other day I saw a dark blue W12 A8L, I was frigging drooling all over. The car is just pure sex.
Every time I see the new S-class I always see the behind and Im like wtf was that a Maybach
Old 03-14-07, 04:06 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

do you have a driver during the week? what's the point of the executive package if you're the one driving the car? i've never sat in any of the cars before but i see them almost everyday in ny. i'd have to say that the S class is definitely growing on me. I thought it was hideous when i first saw it, but it looks better every time i see it.
Old 03-27-07, 05:45 AM
GUJIGUJI
Rookie

IF I AM SPENDING THE MONEY ON ONE OF THOSE ULTRA LUXURY SEDANS. MY CHOICE WILL ONLY BE THE LS OR A8. THE INTERIOR OF THE S & 7 REMINDS ME A LOT OF DRIVING A MINI VAN(MOST OF MINI VANs HAVE NO PROPER GEAR SHIFTERS)@@. I HAVE NOT YET HAD CHANCE TO DRIVE A NEW S-CLASS, BUT I AM ALWAYS NOT A BIG FAN OF MB THOUGH. A8, TO ME, IS THE MOST BALANCE CAR IN THIS GROUP; HOWEVER, AUDI'S BUILD QUALITY CAN SOMETIMES SCARES PEOPLE.

Quick Reply: LS460L vs BMW 750i vs Benz S550 vs Audi A8