Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS-F or BMW M3? Who will win?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 09:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think both cars will be great in their own respect... Lexus going the extra 10th in a straight line and BMW the extra 10th in a corner.

From pictures the bimmer looks more cohesive, but the IS-F had a better looking base to start with.
The interior of the IS far outpaces the BMW.

Its hard to say which would be the better overall package, but for my money i'd pick the F (were the V8 in an E46 shell it would be another story), while I see all the magazines going gaga over the M.

I have a good feeling about the tricked out 8 speed, it remains to be seen if they can deliver on their promise.
Old 03-13-07, 09:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The funny thing is that Nissan GTR is going to walk all over both of these.
Old 03-13-07, 10:37 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

We will see.

I have both deposits for M3 and IS-F.

I am #2 for IS-F at Steven Creek Lexus and I am on the list for M3 at Steven Creek BMW (they did not mention the price at this point, so I am guessing that they are going to jack the price, and if they do, I am saying Bye Bye to them)

I am honestly leaning towards to M3, only because IS-F will basically be the same as my IS350 but with bigger motor and riceier body kits. But you can't lose either way. They are both awesome car.

But then again,on the second though, I might just end up with diesel X5 when it comes out next year. I am diesel turbo guy at heart. I am kinda fed up with smallish car that doesnt really fit me very well.
P.S I have started at thread about BMW M3 vs Is-F a while back.
Old 03-14-07, 12:05 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, considering that we don't know, I'll just take a wild guess and say

Handling? M3 easily
Straight line? this is where the IS-F might be able to outdo an M3
Old 03-14-07, 05:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

If history is any indication, the M3 will be the better sports/GT car. No problem. Feel free to prove us wrong, Lexus.
Old 03-14-07, 07:10 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the posts and comments on this thread are going to be pretty much similar to the ones from IS350 vs. 335i. You can just copy and paste from there. Especially now, before both of the cars are in production.
Old 03-14-07, 07:59 AM
joyriide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och
The funny thing is that Nissan GTR is going to walk all over both of these.

That comment holds no ground here in this thread because the GTR is neither a BMW or Lexus. Therefor, it can run curcles around a Porsche 911 Turbo, but its still a Nissan and far far away from what a Lexus or BMW is...

I use the comparison between a Natural Bodybuilder who has his health, diet, rest, and training in check, to a GymRat who shoots up the latest 1000mg mixture of Testosterone.
Old 03-14-07, 08:07 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Surprising coming from a (TT?)supra owner.

P.s. arent BMWs know for having rubbery feeling shifters? They are know for their steering feel not shifter feel... I stand to be corrected.
No, you are wrong.

And Supra is known for the rubbery feeling shifter.

Last edited by JZA80MHU38; 03-14-07 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 08:12 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Lexus will defenately be more powerful with 5 liters of displacement vs M3's 4 liters. But then of course, M3 will edge out handling wise, and provide a manual, something that Lexus should really consider.

But the overclocked 4.0 in the BMW is probably going to be nothing but trouble.
Oh ya? So I guess the IS-F's 5.0L should be more powerful than Ferrari F430's 4.3L engine? And the Ford's 5.4L V8 then should be more powerful than the IS-F?
Old 03-14-07, 08:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by joyriide
That comment holds no ground here in this thread because the GTR is neither a BMW or Lexus. Therefor, it can run curcles around a Porsche 911 Turbo, but its still a Nissan and far far away from what a Lexus or BMW is...

I use the comparison between a Natural Bodybuilder who has his health, diet, rest, and training in check, to a GymRat who shoots up the latest 1000mg mixture of Testosterone.
The IS-F is more like a big amatuer looking to challenge a finely tuned professional athlete (yes the GTR). The GTR may be a Nissan but its still LEGENDARY.
Old 03-14-07, 08:44 AM
joyriide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS-F is more like a big amatuer looking to challenge a finely tuned professional athlete (yes the GTR). The GTR may be a Nissan but its still LEGENDARY.

Yes, its Legendary, and just a few minutes ago I read a thread on how skyline killed an S/C M3, but the refinement and balance the M3 and IS-F will have is far more superior.

Its like having a "lady in the streets and a freak in the bed!" LOL....
Old 03-14-07, 09:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
P.s. arent BMWs know for having rubbery feeling shifters? They are know for their steering feel not shifter feel... I stand to be corrected.
Not from my experience. BMW's shifters are actually fairly good. Not Honda-good, but still quite good.
Old 03-14-07, 09:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've never felt a Toyota shifter that felt good. It always feel like a disconnected joint, or a kid's toy.
Old 03-14-07, 09:57 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
SMG or roll-for-yourself-and-3-pedals vs. slushbox? Easy choice...
Good job on displaying ignorance

The auto tranny in the IS-F will shift faster than any human can and will upshift and downshift just like an SMG; it will be nothing like the autoboxes out there right now. They've stated this several times; only someone who hasn't read the press releases could make this kind of statement. We've already seen how efficient Toyota trannies are in the IS350.

As for head to head; I think the Lexus will be faster in acceleration in straight line, will brake better, will be more comfortable and luxurious inside, will ride better.

I think the handling prowess will have a slight edge to BMW because of the chassis feedback; but we might get surprised here; Lexus let loose their engineers on this beast. But as for grip and agility (slalom), I see the cars being very close with possibly a slight edge going to BMW.

As for price, Lexus will win that battle too; as I expect an optioned IS-F to go for a good bit less than an optioned M3
Old 03-14-07, 10:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Good job on displaying ignorance
No need for personal comments like this please. Discuss & debate about his points about the CAR, NOT the person.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or BMW M3? Who will win?