Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus IS-F or BMW M3? Who will win?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 10:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Oh ya? So I guess the IS-F's 5.0L should be more powerful than Ferrari F430's 4.3L engine? And the Ford's 5.4L V8 then should be more powerful than the IS-F?
Where did this come from? BMW doesnt make Ferrari engines.... They have a 5.0L V10 that makes 500hp, yes, but so does Lexus... and actually their V10 makes 550hp

Ford's 5.4L with a supercharger makes 450hp. In a car that weighs 4000lbs. That is a completely different car. Why don't you compare a diesel next?

NA vs NA Lexus has BMW beat actually, not in just power production, but also in emissions and gas mileage. I know BMW can make some awesome motors, but don't think for a minute the 4.0L V8 going into the M3 is going to have a better powerband than the all-new 5.0L going into the IS-F.

This discussion has nothing to do with the thread; all you're doing is bashing Toyota and Lexus. And you've got JZA80 in your title? sheesh
Old 03-14-07, 10:31 AM
joyriide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
NA vs NA Lexus has BMW beat actually, not in just power production, but also in emissions and gas mileage.
I really hope your comparison between NA engines isn't between the 2006 IS350 and (e90) 2006 330i. Considering the 330i was 3.0 liter displacement, while the IS350 was 3.5 liter. Even then the E46 M3 was lower displacement and still made more horsepower than the Lexus IS350 so I don't see how anyone has anyone beat on that subject. Even then, the 335i sedan is still 3.0 liters running on very low boost, so its reasonable to say, BMW could've but didn't because they need to space out the New M3 a bit

Either, or, the Lexus IS-F will sell and so will the M3. There will be cases of good drivers beating a idiot M3 owner, and vice-versa.

So the way I see it, its a win win situation, considering the FACT that if in anycase the M3 ends up being a 1/10ths of a second faster, 3 years later you will see the Lexus throw down an even faster machine and so on. The evolution will grow soo much that our 0-60's will be averaged at 3-4 seconds.
Old 03-14-07, 10:55 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
Good job on displaying ignorance
Someone really take the bait easily.

Did I mention which car is more superior than the other one in that short sentence? No. And hence, I should have not offended you right, fan boy?

The reason I said it's an easy choice is that both cars are targeting different type of drivers IMHO. The M3 with the manual or SMG will be more driver-involving, and probably more fun on the twisty and on the track. It's probably more challenging for the drivers as they may want to improve their gear shifting time as well.

The IS-F, on the other hand, is more of a hot-rod. It's closest competitor should be an AMG C-class instead of the M. Step and go, that is. It's fast, but fewer driver input.

P.S. Just because I have a better impression on another product over a Toyota/Lexus product doesn't mean I am bashing Toyota/Lexus. And just because all the cars I have are Toyota products doesn't mean I have to brown-nose the brand and shouldn't voice my own fair opinion.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-14-07 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Edited for unnecessary rude comment
Old 03-14-07, 10:57 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

OR... as Jeremy Clarkson would say "I feel a race coming on"
Old 03-14-07, 11:05 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
The funny thing is that Nissan GTR is going to walk all over both of these.
Not funny but the GTR should considering it's price difference and it's designed to be a totally different car without the luxury amenities.

As for the thread topic I feel the BMW M3 will be the edgier, faster car. As someone else previously stated, the Lexus will most likely be like an AMG car rather than a //M. Super fast luxury cruiser.

Last edited by OC 335d; 03-14-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 11:13 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's going to be a tough battle, and Lexus is the obvious contender. So the edge goes to the M3, until Lexus can prove history wrong. I'll have to give those German engineers some credit...they can develop one hecuva chassis and drivetrain that couples to their race-like engines. So intoxicating this combination is...but the durability of their parts is deplorable.

I'm rootin' for ya, Lexus...so please come ready for battle.
Old 03-14-07, 11:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Guys let's keep the name calling and personal commentary out of this or it will be closed.

Please keep on topic about the vehicles, not the people posting in the thread.
Old 03-14-07, 11:25 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like yet another thread where everyone miraculously knows the future, and knows exactly what both the new M3 and IS-F will bring to the table .

The IS-F is the first Lexus of it's kind. People can make predictions all they want, but the fact is the IS-F is a big mystery until it actually goes on sale. The M3 is also a bit of a mystery until it goes on-sale.
Old 03-14-07, 11:29 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Looks like yet another thread where everyone miraculously knows the future, and knows exactly what both the new M3 and IS-F will bring to the table .
Please read the first post of this thread. it's all about speculation and guessing, and discuss in a gentlemen fashion.
Old 03-14-07, 11:33 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

The IS-F is the first Lexus of it's kind. People can make predictions all they want, but the fact is the IS-F is a big mystery until it actually goes on sale. The M3 is also a bit of a mystery until it goes on-sale.
Everyone doesn't know the future but while we're on the topic of talking about a car that isn't even out yet, it's still fun to speculate. One can make educated guesses on what the new M3 will be like as it will not be revolutionary different than what the previous M3s were. The ISF will probably be closer to luxury than sport based on their previous history. No one has said they know the future but aren't we here to discuss and even possibly :gasp: speculate?
Old 03-14-07, 11:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Please read the first post of this thread. it's all about speculation and guessing, and discuss in a gentlemen fashion.
I read the all the posts in the thread, and some of the posters are making, or trying to make, definitive and concrete statements about the new M3 and IS-F.
Old 03-14-07, 11:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Everyone doesn't know the future but while we're on the topic of talking about a car that isn't even out yet, it's still fun to speculate. One can make educated guesses on what the new M3 will be like as it will not be revolutionary different than what the previous M3s were. The ISF will probably be closer to luxury than sport based on their previous history. No one has said they know the future but aren't we here to discuss and even possibly :gasp: speculate?
Speculating is fine, but it makes no sense for people to be making concrete or definitive statements.

Sure, the IS-F may be more luxury than sport ... or maybe not. The IS-F was developed closely with Toyota motorsports personnel, which includes Toyota's F1 people. This is the first Lexus ever whose development has had close involvement with Toyota's motorsports activities, or more specifically F1.
Old 03-14-07, 11:51 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Speculating is fine, but it makes no sense for people to be making concrete or definitive statements.

Sure, the IS-F may be more luxury than sport ... or maybe not. The IS-F was developed closely with Toyota motorsports personnel, which includes Toyota's F1 people. This is the first Lexus ever whose development has had close involvement with Toyota's motorsports activities, or more specifically F1.
Okay, that's fine. There you go, you are speculating also.

I do hope Lexus surprises us and makes the car more Sport than Luxury but it I doubt it. Again, I do hope Lexus surprises us (or is it just me?).
Old 03-14-07, 12:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
After reading this, I ran down to the dealer to buy this Lexus 550hp V10... it was nowhere to be found! The BMW dealer on the other hand had three different offerings, a coupe, convertible as well as a sedan...
I'm going to take my private jet right now to Japan, over to Toyota's Higashi Fuji technical centre, and to the Fuji Speedway to see the prototype V10 on the dyno and on the racetrack .
Old 03-14-07, 12:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Okay, that's fine. There you go, you are speculating also.

I do hope Lexus surprises us and makes the car more Sport than Luxury but it I doubt it. Again, I do hope Lexus surprises us (or is it just me?).
Could be an equal balance of sport and luxury. We are merely speculating on the sportiness and ultimate performance of the IS-F. But the close involvement of Toyota's motorsports people with the development of the IS-F is no speculation, it's a fact .

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or BMW M3? Who will win?