Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Report's ALL AMERICAN Top Picks

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 05:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Consumer Report's ALL AMERICAN Top Picks

March 12, 2007
2007 Top Picks: American Style

For the second year in a row, all of Consumer Reports' April issue Top Picks have Japanese nameplates. While these cars excel both in our tests and in our subscriber reliability survey, there are also plenty of good alternatives, as a scan down the list of vehicles A-Z reveals.

We talk to people everyday who say, "I just want to buy American." To that end, for the second year we offer our list of Top Picks, American style.

By our definition, Top Picks must be recommended models--even when creating unofficial lists. So, let's review the ground rules: For CR to recommend any model, it must have average or better reliability; and if tested, provide good overall crash protection, based on our composite of insurance-industry and government crash tests. SUVs also must not have tipped up onto two wheels in the government's rollover test or, if not tested, must have available electronic stability control (ESC).

The list below features the highest-rated, American-branded vehicles in their category that received a Consumer Reports recommendation.

Fun to drive: Cadillac CTS-V
Small sedan: Ford Focus ZX4 SES
Family sedan: Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan
Upscale sedan: Lincoln MKZ
Luxury sedan: Cadillac DTS
Small SUV: Pontiac Torrent
Midsized SUV: Ford Freestyle
Minivan: (None apply)
Budget car: Ford Focus ZX3
Green car: (None apply)

As we did last year when creating this list, we'll look at some trends. Most of these models are repeats, but there is some positive progress:

For all of Ford's financial problems, the company offers some strong products. The Fusion/Milan/MKZ siblings are well-designed vehicles that have had impressive first-year reliability. That reliability record for these relatively new models is all the more impressive given Ford's past history of problem-plagued introductions, as with the Focus and Escape.
Despite its age, the Focus remains a fun-to-drive car with an inviting balance of handling and ride comfort. Hopefully, the 2008 freshening improves on that.We are disappointed that the hatchback and wagon will be dropped from the line-up.
Ford has been slow to implement electronic stability control (ESC) to its products. The efficiently-packaged Freestyle makes our list as our top-scoring, Recommended domestic midsized SUV, but it lacks ESC to quell its tail-wagging in an emergency maneuver. The MKZ is one of the few upscale cars still available without ESC. (Ford says standard ESC is coming for both vehicles.)
The Pontiac Torrent is a mid-pack-scoring small SUV, but it was reliable in its first year, so it makes this list. The considerably better Ford Escape would have been listed here, but again, the lack of ESC holds it back. Since the Escape tipped up onto two wheels in NHTSA's dynamic stability test, CR can not recommend it. Most versions of the Escape get standard ESC for 2008.
It's not really worth complaining about the CTS-V sedan being on the list for Fun to Drive. The car is a blast and has four doors to boot. But it's a shame that the Chevrolet Corvette isn't reliable enough to allow us to recommend it or the rocket-ship Z06 version. The DTS's strong first-year reliability lets us recommend it, claiming here the Luxury Sedan pick.
Ford and GM are exiting the minivan market, leaving Chrysler as the only domestic contender. The reliability for the Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Caravan keeps us from recommending them. Hopefully the 2008 redesign will yield a more modern and competitive van.
And if you were curious, the Fusion/Milan/MKZ are built in Mexico, and the Torrent is built in Canada. Hence, it's not so easy determining what is (or isn't) an American car.

--Tom Mutchler
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...op_picks_.html
Old 03-15-07, 10:05 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the saliva is just puddling out of my mouth...
Old 03-25-07, 05:28 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Wow, the saliva is just puddling out of my mouth...
LMAO, Word yo, the only thinng on that list that holds any intrigue is the CTS-V. And thats sad. I'm surprised the Dodge Challenger isn't up there.
Old 03-25-07, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
LMAO, Word yo, the only thinng on that list that holds any intrigue is the CTS-V. And thats sad. I'm surprised the Dodge Challenger isn't up there.
CR will not recomend any vehicle that does not do well in their own tests, pass Government safety tests, AND have at least an Average repair record overall in their own database. The Challenger has not even been released yet, much less have any kind of reliability record.

I, personally, am sorry to see the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner twins go.
Along with the Ford Five Hundred/Freestyle/Mercury Montego, they have long been on my list of favorite American-nameplate vehicles. Though the 2000-2002 models were not particularly good in reliability (the reliability since then has improved and is now average), the vehicle has always had good road manners for an SUV, AWD traction, a nice driving feel to it, nice body lines (IMO), and a generally solid feel to it in its body, sheet metal, and hardware. There was even a Full-Hybrid version, though admittedly with Toyota technology that Ford used under license.
The Ford Edge, which replaces the Escape, certainly does not impress me with its looks, though I'll save more comments for a full review ( it is on my review list ). I did, however, review the Mazda version of it, the CX-7 (they share the same platform), and was not nearly as impressed with the CX-7 as I was with the original Mazda Tribute, another clone of the old Escape/Mariner.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-25-07, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

mmarshall - aren't you surprised the article says the CORVETTE is not sufficiently reliable for them to consider it!?

And I guess CR readers' experience with the Fusion is different (more positive) than PearlPower on here who has had a lot of trouble with his.

Last, hard to see what the point even is of this 'All American' list as the article says some models are made in Mexico.
Old 03-25-07, 09:38 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
CR will not recomend any vehicle that does not do well in their own tests, pass Government safety tests, AND have at least an Average repair record overall in their own database. The Challenger has not even been released yet, much less have any kind of reliability record.

I, personally, am sorry to see the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner twins go.
Along with the Ford Five Hundred/Freestyle/Mercury Montego, they have long been on my list of favorite American-nameplate vehicles. Though the 2000-2002 models were not particularly good in reliability (the reliability since then has improved and is now average), the vehicle has always had good road manners for an SUV, AWD traction, a nice driving feel to it, nice body lines (IMO), and a generally solid feel to it in its body, sheet metal, and hardware. There was even a Full-Hybrid version, though admittedly with Toyota technology that Ford used under license.
The Ford Edge, which replaces the Escape, certainly does not impress me with its looks, though I'll save more comments for a full review ( it is on my review list ). I did, however, review the Mazda version of it, the CX-7 (they share the same platform), and was not nearly as impressed with the CX-7 as I was with the original Mazda Tribute, another clone of the old Escape/Mariner.
Forgive me, I meant Charger.
Old 03-26-07, 01:26 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Last, hard to see what the point even is of this 'All American' list as the article says some models are made in Mexico.
This was evident when I took a trip 2 years ago down the Mexican Riviera.
Old 03-26-07, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall - aren't you surprised the article says the CORVETTE is not sufficiently reliable for them to consider it!?

And I guess CR readers' experience with the Fusion is different (more positive) than PearlPower on here who has had a lot of trouble with his.

The 'Vette, dating back many years, has never been much in the way of reliability. The small-block and big-block Chevy V8's were fairly reliable, but little else on the cars hung together very long. The fiberglas bodies, while, of course, rust and dent-proof, tend to crack from stones and debris impact, and repairs can be very expensive. The body structures, up until the C5 model, especially the convertibles and T-Tops, flexed like a wet noodle, and EVERYTHING rattled and squeaked. Trim pieces would work loose and fall off from the banging they took from the rock-hard suspension. The tires and brakes wore rapidly, had little traction in the wet or snow, and were expensive to replace. Insurance for young single men, especially with a less-than-perfect record, was hard to find and expensive. In short, while a good macho car for Friday night drags at the local track, the car was simply a pain in the a** to own.
The C6 is a definite improvement over previous generations, and has a MUCH easier to use clutch, (see my December 2005 review of the C6 coupe) but still has not established a particularly good repair record.

The Fusion and its twins, despite PearlPower's less-than-perfect one, have, so far, established themselves very well, reliability-wise, in the marketplace...unusual for a first-year Ford-product. It will be interesting to see if the new AWD versions, which are, of course, more complex than the FWD ones, will keep that Better-Than-Average repair record.

As far as the "Made in Mexico" label goes that you bring up, I think CR was just referring to American nameplates, not necessarily where the vehicle was built...just as many American-built vehilces such as Camrys and Accords have Japanese nameplates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-07 at 04:37 PM.