Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Test: 2008 Audi R8 vs. Porsche 911Turbo (makes the 911 feel old?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

As for the drive - of course I've not driven an R8 (have driven a 996 turbo though) and I somehow doubt the R8 is as 'worked out' as the 997 is, given all the history. The 996 turbo I drove was just insanely fast. You're at 100 in a few seconds from any circumstance. Its power just can't be used on public roads. The handling is very good, but the car is pretty heavy. The steering and brakes are beyond the beyond - SPECTACULAR.

In comparison, I drove a stock base Boxster about a year ago and was very underwhelmed. Just not enough low end torque, there was more body roll and bounce than I would have expected. Still fun but I like my new MX-5 WAY more.
Old 03-16-07, 12:56 PM
thagr81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hottness!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-07, 01:12 PM
RiceMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

And you are correct, nobody else does places an engine over the rear axle. But according to EVERY SERIOUS and none serious automotive publication-it works to this day and works to near perfection. Is it the best design? It all depends on the driver. Since you obviously have not driven one, how can you make an honest assessment of the car and where the engine should go?
While I don't really care or see anything productive in proving to you that I have driven a 911, ya shouldn't jump to such premature conclusion. I could take it the wrong way. You should take some of your own advice, it is the driver. In other words, it's a matter of taste and opinion. 911 sounds funny to me, but it's music to others. Just because 911 has over stayed it's design/layout, it's not why people think it's such a great vehicle to drive. It is because it's a proper sportscar that drives and feels like any other great sportscar should. Those SERIOUS drivers who enjoyed the 911 will also equally enjoy other sportscars made by other manufacturers that don't have the engine hanging over the rear axles. The charactor and sound maybe different, but all the good stuff is there.
Old 03-16-07, 01:23 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whoster

If you don't like the 911, that's great. I respect your dire hatred towards the car and I really could care less that it doesn't agree with my opinion. But I really don't think it's necessary to hammer on a thread just because you don't like it.
He hammers on basically every German car.
Old 03-16-07, 01:57 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RiceMaster
Porsche almost went out of business due to selling only 911s after they dump the 928 and 944. The SUV and girly lookin Boxster brought them back and made them the most profitable. It's time to lay the 911 to rest.
Does it makes sense at all? Let me make an analogy here and see if other readers and you understand. In a family whose income is based on agriculture (in this case, RICE), the father goes to the field and farm as hard as he can, but by his own work alone just can't support the family. Then he asked two of his sons to work for him. This father sure has some great reputation in the rice industry and he's representing his family and the field. Some of the rice buyers are saying "one day one of the sons is going to replace the father to bring home the real money".

Not happening. The father is suffering. He's still working hard by himself, but sooner or later he can't support the whole family, and his reputation is still there, but sooner or later he may not be able to work on the field. The father asked another son who's very fat, and a daughter to work on the field. The family asked this fat son to work because somehow the some people in the market, especially those in North America, like to eat rice planted by fat people. This time the son and the daughter are doing a great job helping his father to get some serious crops (rice), and also turn it into money so the family can upgrade the father's equipments and lead the whole family to be more productive and making more money. Now the family sees more demand and business opportunity, so they ask the daughter's twin brother to go to the field and work and bring home more rice. Father is still making some serious rice as well and doing just fine.

So here's the question. Why then should the family ask the father to quit? He's the face and "goodwill" for the entire family. If he quitted, the rice planted by the fat kid and the twins may actually mean nothing to the consumer out there anymore. Why take the risk?
Old 03-16-07, 03:31 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't bother w/either, both are absurdly overpriced, especially the Porsche.

The 997TT is overweight, overhyped, mass produced, w/the engine in the wrong location

the R8 needs a real motor, but unlike the Porsche doesn't suffer from mass production constraints.
Old 03-16-07, 07:12 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I wouldn't bother w/either, both are absurdly overpriced, especially the Porsche.

The 997TT is overweight, overhyped, mass produced, w/the engine in the wrong location

the R8 needs a real motor, but unlike the Porsche doesn't suffer from mass production constraints.
The market will determine if either cars are really overpriced. And if history repeats itself, sure the Porsche is not overpriced, because they can sell the 911 Turbo easily.
Old 03-16-07, 08:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I haven't driven 997 TT nor the R8, but the R8 definitely looks more interesting & will be more eyecatching on the road, since there are too many similar looking Porsche 911's of different generations around.