Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 12:42 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione.

Alfa Romeo has unveiled the final version of the Alfa 8C Competizione, its flagship sport coupé that will be produced in a limited edition. Among the technical highlight are the carbon fibre body and a robotised 6-speed gearbox.

The car, designed by Alfa Romeo, is directly derived from the 8C Competizione concept car unveiled at the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show.

The engine performance figures are a maximum power output of 450 bhp at 7000 rpm and a torque of 470 Nm at 4750 rpm, with 80% of torque available from 2000 rpm.

It will make its world debut at the Paris Motor Show.

From the official Press Release:
The 8C Competizione has benefited from Alfa-Maserati Sports Centre's technical and industrial know-how, in a cooperative venture that integrated the Alfa Romeo design departments and the Maserati production departments.

Inspiration
The 8C Competizione is inspired by Alfa Romeo’s glorious past, projecting its brand values of technology and emotion into the future. The historical allusions begin with the evocative name, recalling the great sporting tradition of Alfa Romeo.

The 8C code was used to identify cars (racing and on-road) of the Thirties and Forties equipped with the revolutionary eight cylinder engine produced by the famous designer Vittorio Jano.

The term ‘Competizione’ is intended as a homage to the ‘6C 2500 Competizione’, a sports coupé driven in 1950 by the duo Fangio and Zanardi in the famous Mille Miglia race.

This link with the values of Alfa Romeo’s history adds extra poignancy to the term ‘Competizione’; when projected into the future it represents the sense of constant dynamism that distinguishes a brand engaged in a quest for excellence, increased competitiveness and technological innovation.

This is the explanation behind the role of the new car, which is not a point of arrival but a point of departure designed to reaffirm Alfa Romeo’s unique place in the world: its ability to match a thrilling shape to driving satisfaction.
Excerpt from (source)
*http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...-competizione/

- I didn't want to quote the whole article. It was rather large, if you'd like to read more just click on the link above.

Pictures

I like it
Old 03-16-07, 01:29 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Me too.
Old 03-16-07, 01:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I can see some Jag and Maserati (of course Ferrari, lines), but this is very well done.
Old 03-16-07, 01:57 PM
fatmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...looks awesome.
Old 03-16-07, 02:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That car is one of the most beautiful sports cars to come out in a long time. It is modern but has great classic lines. I think it would sell on its looks alone no matter how it performed as long as it was not way overpriced. Looks better then current Ferraris, Lambos, Masseratis, and just about anything out right now. Very good design. I hope they do it right and it makes it to the U.S. It would be a great boost to the Alfa Romeo brand.
Old 03-16-07, 07:51 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hate the Alfa grille.
Old 03-17-07, 05:22 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am really looking forward to Alfa being back in the US market.

Those Integras with the Alfa noses were not my cup of tea.

Looking at this car, do you folks see how similar the shape of the side windows is to the shape of the rear view mirrors?
Old 03-17-07, 08:46 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Looking at this car, do you folks see how similar the shape of the side windows is to the shape of the rear view mirrors?

Now that you mention it, yeah, I see that now

Here are some pics from the Geneva Motor Show

Old 03-17-07, 10:35 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Default 1964 Bertone Canguro prototype

This design seemed familiar to me so I did a little research and came up with this Bertone prototype from 1964. I don't know if Bertone had a hand in the current model but I've always liked the Bertone style even though some of them were the hand of Giugiaro when he worked for them.

the following from
http://www.bertone.it/en/scheda_60_canguro_en.htm

"At the beginning of the 1960's the Alfa Romeo marque was one of the most popular brands on the market, and in 1964 Bertone was given the opportunity to create two extremely interesting prototypes. One of these, the Alfa Romeo Canguro, stood out as the more ambitious and innovative project. It was a racing interpretation of the Giulia TZ, with a tubular chassis, and is a clear demonstration of the Bertone skill of reinterpreting the stylistic elements of any model. The Canguro was an advanced exercise in style for Bertone, completely freed from manufacturing constraints. Extremely smooth and sinuous, with its window surface completely worked into the body and perfectly at one with the panelling, the Canguro was an attention-grabber for its balanced lines and some completely innovative styling features, which even now still hold their ground. The Alfa Romeo Canguro is one example of the great school of Italian car design which shot to fame in the 1960's."
Attached Thumbnails Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione.-1964-alfa-canguro-concept.jpg  
Old 03-17-07, 07:46 PM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

one of my favorite cars to cruise in TDU.
Old 03-17-07, 07:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This car is just freakin beautiful. A job well done.

And in the EVO magazine my friend had, it said that it will be coming stateside. About 100 of them marking Alfas return to the USA. Probably gonna be really expensive since its sharing a lot of parts (and I think chassis) with the new Maserati.
Old 03-18-07, 02:59 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the only alfa I would buy.
Looks sweet as hell!!
Old 03-18-07, 09:08 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

thats put together so well, damn, I would buy one of these...
Old 07-31-07, 08:58 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione Stateside debut

TUE JUL 31 2007

We're out here on the rolling Rochester Hills at the site of this weekend's Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegance for the US press reveal of the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione. But just as important as showing the 159,300 euro (Alfa folks claim the US price will be over $200K when it hits here late in 2008), 450 HP V8-powered supercar, for the Alfa Romeo folks this is the first event for a US-bound Alfa Romeo since the halcyon days of yesterday -- and by yesterday we mean 1995. We'll stop talking and let you soak in the crimson-colored beauty of these shots.

*source - and for more pics go to...
http://jalopnik.com/cars/now-ready-f...but-284331.php

WOW! Such a beautiful car!!! I love it
Old 07-31-07, 09:32 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Originally Posted by meowCat
God, I love Italians..... That's a car man.... some design!

Absolutely beautiful.

I wanna buy it. How much is it?
Supposedly over 200K, needless to say that's well out of my range

Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione.