Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

looking 4 a car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 02:44 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking 4 a car

ok
looking for a suv that i can tow with a Rv(dont want to use trailer to tow the car)
but a luxury suv since i will be using it for work also

anybody know of any goods one
planning to buy in 2 weeks
Old 03-17-07, 03:17 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

New Tahoe ... how much u lookin to spend?
Old 03-17-07, 04:11 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

looking to spend 80k tops
Old 03-17-07, 04:13 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

i was looking more into bmw,benz, audi,lexus,range rovers
but when i go to the dealer nobody has a answer for me if it could be done or not
Old 03-17-07, 06:25 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by guillermo
i was looking more into bmw,benz, audi,lexus,range rovers
but when i go to the dealer nobody has a answer for me if it could be done or not
That could be because most with an Range or Benz truck are not really trying to tow anything, let alone an RV. It's not that kind of audience. I know towing never came to mind in my Range days. I wouldnt hitch a BMX to it. Why not get a Denali?? or luxed out surburban?
Old 03-17-07, 11:03 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I don't tow anything, but I just purchased a 2007 Cadillac Escalade loaded with the 22" factory rims and it's a beautiful truck.

You can't go wrong with this Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade family. GM did a great job in the revamp.

If you want not as much bling, but stil luxury and power, the new 07 Yukon Denali is a good buy.
Old 03-19-07, 11:41 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

I agree with others opinions here, every SUV you are talking about isnt really worth anything as far as towing. They are more "performance SUVs". I would recomend the yukon denali bc its more understated than the escalade plus they are pretty quick for an SUV
Old 03-19-07, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I don't tow anything, but I just purchased a 2007 Cadillac Escalade loaded with the 22" factory rims and it's a beautiful truck.

If you want not as much bling, but stil luxury and power, the new 07 Yukon Denali is a good buy.
Congragulations. Do you know the break-in rules?

True, the Denali is not quite an Escalade, but there isn't much difference, trim-wise. Each one has a lot of bling. I recently reviewed both the new Denali XL and Expedition EL and did a comparison.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ali+expedition
Old 03-19-07, 01:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

I think you've got this backwards guys... He's not looking for an SUV to tow his RV. He's looking for an SUV that can be TOWED BY his RV. As in recreational towing, with the transfer case/transmission in neutral, just rolling along behind.

As to that, I can't make any specific recommendations, but I'd look for something with part-time 4wd (rather than AWD like most crossovers), so you can put the whole car in Neutral via the transfer case shifter. Some Manufaturers also recommend you disconnect both drive shafts when doing this, however, so you may want to peek in some owner's manuals.
Old 03-19-07, 01:29 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations. Do you know the break-in rules?

True, the Denali is not quite an Escalade, but there isn't much difference, trim-wise. Each one has a lot of bling. I recently reviewed both the new Denali XL and Expedition EL and did a comparison.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ali+expedition
As a new Escalade owner, I have still have to say the Denali is probably as good as the Escalade and the premium you pay for the Escalade is basically for the prestige, name.

Canyou tell me the break in rules for my 2WD Escalade? My dealer didn't tell me anything.
Old 03-19-07, 05:03 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To my knowledge you can't tow any Lexus behind RVs. That's the reason we sold our LX470. (Maybe the GX can but I'm not sure)

I don't know about the other brands. We got sick of trying to get straight answers from luxury brands (salesmen don't know ***** when you're asking them about towing them) so we just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee to be the RV/road trip beater and kept the other Lexus and MB for daily drivers.
Old 03-19-07, 05:23 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BMWx5 4.8. More fun to drive than any suv out there, and many cars. No body roll.. The handeling, braking, driving dynamics are incredible, and will make you grin from ear to ear.. Test drive one. Just put her in neutral when letting the rv pull her.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X5/48i
Old 03-19-07, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexguynj
As a new Escalade owner, I have still have to say the Denali is probably as good as the Escalade and the premium you pay for the Escalade is basically for the prestige, name.

Canyou tell me the break in rules for my 2WD Escalade? My dealer didn't tell me anything.
For the first 1000 miles:

1. Keep the engine RPM below 4000.

2. Vary the engine speed up and down (usually no problem, of course, in stop-and-go traffic)...just don't run it constantly at the same RPM, say, for long stretches on the Interstate.

3. Don't use the brakes full-force except in an emergency or to avoid an accident.
( large GM SUV's tend to have rather mushy brakes even when broken in properly, though they are somewhat better this year than before)

4. No full-throttle starts or full-throttle acceleration...keep engine loads down.

5. Generally no heavy towing during break-in (but check with Cadillac for recommendations on your particular Escalade, as large GM SUV's have many different towing limits based on configuration...the break-in limits could vary)

6. Consider an oil and filter change at 1000 miles to remove the break-in shavings and other accumulated impurities from the engine. (This is usually not on the official factory maintenance schedule but still is a good idea).

I highly recommend SCRATCH-OUT liquid to keep the paint like new and remove surface scratches and other problems. It is great stuff. You can get it at most WalMarts....and some auto parts shops.
http://www.kitwax.com/html/kitProducts.htm

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-19-07, 07:06 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

go with the infiniti qx56 beautiful and not to many on the roads
Old 03-19-07, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by calichris
go with the infiniti qx56 beautiful and not to many on the roads
This is a joke, right?

Though the new ones are slightly better, it has been one of the most unreliable vehicles (by modern standards) on the market.

Quick Reply: looking 4 a car