Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Tundra Falls Short in NHTSA Frontal Crash Test Rating

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 10:24 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This result does concern me quite a bit but we just bought a New Tundra 5.7L today . We traded the 06 Dodge ram 1 ton pick up for this baby. Let me tell you .... This truck can fly lol. I guess time will tell......
JPI
Old 03-19-07, 08:20 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
This result does concern me quite a bit but we just bought a New Tundra 5.7L today . We traded the 06 Dodge ram 1 ton pick up for this baby. Let me tell you .... This truck can fly lol. I guess time will tell......
JPI
Congrats, we test drove another today and decided that this test means little at this time until the IIHS comes out. I saw the video and the cabin stayed intact. In fact the frame appeared to do better vs the new 07 Silverado crash test in the videos.

The problem it seems is that the new Tundra is TOO STIFF up front and the occupants are experiencing too much g-force during acceleration as the trucks crumple zones are not giving in enough.

But, could that be good if say a new Tundra ran into a vehicle which will give?

We are still considering a Tundra and after test driving the competition yesterday, no doubt it is the superior truck in a great many aspects out there. I just feel for any Silverado, F150, or RAM owner that goes head to head with the new Tundra as their truck will ,”give more” in the collision.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-19-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-19-07, 08:43 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Congrats, we test drove another today and decided that this test mean little at this time until the IIHS comes out. I saw the video and the cabin stayed intact. In fact the frame did better vs the new 07 Silverado did.

The problem it seems is that the new Tundra is TOO STIFF up front and the occupants are experiencing too much g-force during acceleration as the trucks crumple zones are not giving in enough.

But, could that be good if say a new Tundra ran into a vehicle which will give?

We are still considering a Tundra and after test driving the competition yesterday, no doubt it is the superior truck in a great many aspects out there. I just feel for any Silverado, F150, or RAM owner that goes head to head with the new Tundra as their truck will ,”give more” in the collision.
Actually the tundra feel much much better than my Dodge 1 ton pick up. But then the Dodge is in a different class. We only have 12 miles on the truck so far. Next week, we will hook up the 25 feet trailer to see how she perform.
JPI
Old 03-19-07, 08:54 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah! It seems that Toyota made the truck too stiff, and this is what is affecting the safety rating. Indeed the high g-forces indicate that the crumple zones aren't absorbing enough energy and the body is not giving. I find it pretty ironic that being too stiff is bad in a crash test, yet manufacturers tout their chassis' stiffness.

However, if a 5-star tested sedan collided with the new Tundra, there's no question in which vehicle I'd rather be.
Old 03-19-07, 09:19 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1
Hah! It seems that Toyota made the truck too stiff, and this is what is affecting the safety rating. Indeed the high g-forces indicate that the crumple zones aren't absorbing enough energy and the body is not giving. I find it pretty ironic that being too stiff is bad in a crash test, yet manufacturers tout their chassis' stiffness.

However, if a 5-star tested sedan collided with the new Tundra, there's no question in which vehicle I'd rather be.
It depends on the sedan. If it was an A8, or LS460... I'd take one of those. Heck, even an Avalon. Sedans are some of the "safest" vehicles on the road.
Old 03-19-07, 01:38 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1

Agreed!

Take a golf ball and a marble. Roll them at each other and look at how the marble bounces off the golf ball. Cannot ignore physics.

Take a 5200lb Tundra and bounce it off an LS460 or A8. Which would someone really want to be in? I hope a Tundra never goes head to head with me in my SC or Fusion.

That said, we test drove a GX again along with 2 more Tundras today and just for S^&ts and Giggles drove another Silverado. The Silverado just was not a competitor in our opinion but we (she) decided for the GX as it serves our purpose more and dropping a 45k check for a pickup just did not seem wise as it is still a truck afterall-even if it is very nice.
Old 03-19-07, 03:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. It seems as if simply the cab, chassis, or both are too stiff and don't absorb enough impact energy.
Old 03-19-07, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Lol, it is not the end of the world.

Old 03-20-07, 07:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Take a golf ball and a marble. Roll them at each other and look at how the marble bounces off the golf ball. Cannot ignore physics.
Take a 5200lb Tundra and bounce it off an LS460 or A8. Which would someone really want to be in? I hope a Tundra never goes head to head with me in my SC or Fusion.
Yes, but that's not how crash protection works. Yes the light vehicle in an accident may get 'shunted' further, but if its body compresses as it should, the OCCUPANTS (all that really matters) can feel less of the impact than those in a heavy solid box that doesn't compress much.

In an accident I want to be in the vehicle that compresses everything between me and the other car THE MOST, to absorb the damaging forces from affecting organs, limbs, nervous systems.

That said, we test drove a GX again along with 2 more Tundras today and just for S^&ts and Giggles drove another Silverado. The Silverado just was not a competitor in our opinion but we (she) decided for the GX as it serves our purpose more and dropping a 45k check for a pickup just did not seem wise as it is still a truck afterall-even if it is very nice.
GX rides nice but obviously is a completely different vehicle than a pickup truck in terms of utility. Yes, we once brought home a dozen bales of pine straw in our old RX but I wouldn't do it again!
Old 03-20-07, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree. It seems as if simply the cab, chassis, or both are too stiff and don't absorb enough impact energy.
Agreed. A tricky trade-off to be sure. Since this is Toyota's first full size pick-up, it seems unlikely they'd have nothing to improve, but this is a very impressive new entry, regardless.

I for one would have no issues from a safety standpoint in buying a Tundra.

Just a few years ago we were psyched by having ONE air bag in a car. Now if it doesn't have half a dozen it's considered bad.
Old 03-20-07, 08:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, but that's not how crash protection works. Yes the light vehicle in an accident may get 'shunted' further, but if its body compresses as it should, the OCCUPANTS (all that really matters) can feel less of the impact than those in a heavy solid box that doesn't compress much.

In an accident I want to be in the vehicle that compresses everything between me and the other car THE MOST, to absorb the damaging forces from affecting organs, limbs, nervous systems.

Conservation of Energy needs to be on our side, not against us! I rather have all the energy transfer to the chassis rather than towards me (and other occupants). Crumple zone is a good thing

I wouldn't want to be in a vehicle with too much stiffness in the chassis/body. I would be throw towards the front of the car as if I'm being sucked in by the black hole.

I agree that I would rather be in a Toyota Tundra rather than a Toyota Echo, since the Echo would be crushed. However, the Toyota Tundra isn't the biggest toy on the road. An 18-wheeler will probably make the Tundra the world's biggest metal sandwich.
Old 03-21-07, 08:11 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I'd be interested to see why you thought the Silverado was not a competitor - most rags seem to rate it higher than the Tundra. I only sat in both at the autoshow and thought to myself that I was glad I didn't have to decide between the two of them. They both seemed very nice.
Old 03-21-07, 10:21 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Toyota is a little confused as to how its new full-size Tundra pickup only achieved a score of four stars in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's test for frontal crash performance. Mike Levine at Pickuptruck.com, who is fast becoming Autoblog's unofficial expert on all things with a bed, spoke with Bill Kwong, a representative from Toyota, this morning. Kwong revealed that Toyota performed its own internal crash testing of the Tundra according to the NHTSA's criteria and the truck repeatedly scored five stars. This no doubt gave Toyota the confidence to predict that the Tundra would receive five stars across the board from the NHTSA, a move that definitely has the Japanese juggernaut wiping a little egg off its face now. Kwong said it will take a few weeks to sort out what contributed to the truck's four-star score, but that they'll determine what it is and fix it as soon as possible.
Full story courtesy Autoblog
Old 03-22-07, 02:07 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Full story courtesy Autoblog
hmmm... could it be GM trying to buy their way out of things again?
lol

lets see if toyota can figure this out