Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Bringing 4-Door Coupe(CLS competitor), Clean Diesels & X6

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 09:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default BMW Bringing 4-Door Coupe(CLS competitor), Clean Diesels & X6

New technology will come to the U.S. in 2008, new models later.
by Henny Hemmes (2007-03-15)

BMW is a diesel force in the European car market, but in North America, it's stood back while Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen have weathered the changes in regulations and technology.

In 2008, though, BMW will re-enter the U.S. diesel market. Recently, TheCarConnection spoke with BMW AG's new board member, Dr. Klaus Draeger, who is responsible for Research & Development and Purchasing. Draeger confirmed that BMW will introduce its first diesel model with "clean diesel technology" in America sometime in 2008.

Draeger confirmed there is much more in the BMW pipeline - including the X6 and a luxury four-door coupe that will arrive before 2010 and will compete with the Mercedes-Benz CLS:

Where are you heading for in the next 5 to 10 years?

We are really going to expand our program with new vehicles in the coming years. The classical BMW models, the 3-, 5-, and 7-Series, make up only half of our production volume. The rest are models that came later into our program. This year we will get the 1-series three-door version and within two years there will also be a new sports active coupe, which will be built in our U.S. operation in South Carolina. This is going to be something that combines the in-command seating position of an X5, but with design lines that are going to remind you more of a coupe.

Then, here is one product there has been quite a lot of speculation about. It is what we call the LSV, luxury sports cruiser. With that product we will have something that will be in terms of design lines closer probably towards the formality of a sedan. We are talking about travel in style, on the one side, but it will have also the BMW typical agility and the BMW typical dynamics. And then it, of course, it will have also the functionality. It will arrive before 2010.

What about new engines?

Our strategy is to give the customer the best performance with…the best mileage per gallon… We will introduce new models with high-precision injection. That will be combined with lean mixture combustion in Europe. We can run these lean-mixture concepts for four- and six-cylinder engines. The reduction in fuel consumption will be around five to ten percent.

Combined with this, we will then also have a sort of hybridization. We are going for electric water pumps and oil pumps, and electrical power steering instead of having a hydraulic pump running all the time.

We will do brake energy recovery for all models. It is a rollout process that starts now with the refreshed 5-Series and will run through the whole of 2007 and onwards.

What about diesels?

In Europe we are having a huge number of diesel cars running in our fleet. They represent 40 percent of the total BMW production. The diesel engines definitely are always the best engines in their class. We just received again the Ward's Engine of the Year award for the 3.0-liter diesel engine and we decided to bring diesel technology to the U.S. as well. We will not limit this and offer vehicles with diesel engines in 50 states in 2008. These are wonderful cars and we meet the Bin5 regulations… We are going to equip the cars with a urea system and SCR technology that we all use from the same suppliers in Germany.

Will you call this Bluetec?

Evidently, that question comes up, but until now we have not decided. We do not say we don't, but we have not decided yet if we will call it Bluetec.

Most important is that the customer gets the BMW diesel engine, and we are not talking only about the exhaust treatment. Important is the typical BMW smooth-running, high power, high-torque engines.

What is your short-term goal, production wise?

We are planning to build 1.4 million cars this year and 1.6 million by 2010. After that it is too much speculation.
source : thecarconnection
Old 03-18-07, 10:07 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this lean running is well and good, but the issues with ethanol in petrol are starting to rear their ugly head. I wonder what BMW is going to do about that if they keep running more and more lean. Frankly, I'd take a 5% hit in mpg to have an engine that won't blow a fuel pump if it gets one batch of bad gas.
Old 03-18-07, 11:14 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
All this lean running is well and good, but the issues with ethanol in petrol are starting to rear their ugly head. I wonder what BMW is going to do about that if they keep running more and more lean. Frankly, I'd take a 5% hit in mpg to have an engine that won't blow a fuel pump if it gets one batch of bad gas.
Yea, but notice they said they are not doing the lean thing here. Probably because of our ever tightening emissions.

I saw an internal doc that showed mpg and hp gains for the 08 5-series due to the brake energy recovery. Yet the new brochure does not show those. Should be interesting to see.
Old 03-18-07, 04:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I really, really wanna kick the person who coined the phrase '4 door coupe' upside the head
Old 03-18-07, 05:10 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I really, really wanna kick the person who coined the phrase '4 door coupe' upside the head
LMAO , kinda like long sleeved vest. In fact I'm going to trademark that. But really tho, that genre is taking off. MB was definitely onto something there.
Old 03-19-07, 10:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow BMW is expanding its model line. CLS Benz will be tough to beat when it comes to aesthetics.. The x6 will be interesting.. BMW needs to update their motorcycle line with some sportbikes instead of cruisers... Former Yamaha R6 rider here.
Old 04-03-07, 11:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Translated from autozeitung :
© Jean Francois Hubert

New BMW models: Successor BMW of the 850i

One must leave one the BMW strategists: They have an extraordinary feeling for new model variants

BMW boss Norbert Reithofer wants to leave fresh model ideas, which can inspire potenzielle Premium customers, not to the competition. A new market gap opens at present: luxuriöse four-door Sportcoupés.

So a new sport model on basis of the next 7er-Reihe is to come also made of Munich. Since a M-version of the 7er-Reihe does not fit the philosophy of the BMW sport department, the new dynamic model is to carry the steeped in tradition designation 850i. From 1990 to 1999 the built of eight-lines the V12-Versionen up 850i/850 with Ci (300/326 HP) and the V8-Einstiegsmodell 840i (286 HP) no revealing was stylistic, had however an above average good chassis. And to it is the new of eight-lines up tie.

Werner Mueller
Old 04-03-07, 01:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Dont are much about 850 or 890 but

me likes diesel! Twin Turbo Diesel X5 would be super sweet.
Old 04-03-07, 02:00 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Are these really coupes at all? As I recall, many coupes are actually considered 2 door sedans (Accord coupe, 612 Scaglietti, Benz CL) because of their interior space. I imagine the CLS and this new Bimmer are more accurately fastback sedans. Two of many.
Old 04-03-07, 04:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It may look nice on the outside but it is almost certain the interior will not look good and will be cheapend, plain, and spartan like the new Z5, 3 and 5 series cars. I doubt BMW will change the interior design theme with this new car too much from the lacklaster 5 series interior.
Old 04-04-07, 01:35 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Weren't they suppose to produce like an X7, which would of competed with like the GL and LX ?!?!