Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford officially extends oil change interval to 7,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 10:13 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
Ford must be using an oil life monitoring system, I know that other car manufacturers are slowly starting to use it, the use of an oil monitoring system is being used in Europe for some time now.
As posted above.

"Some manufacturers use a sensor to monitor the health of the oil and light a service lamp when it calculates change is required. Ford contends that its customers prefer a set amount of miles between changes."
Old 03-24-07, 03:57 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I dont care what any manufacturer says, I still religiously change oil in my cars every 2,000 miles, even the Mobil 1 Synthetic in my GS430. I dont care how long modern oil lasts, it still gets dirty, and I'd much rather have clean oil in my engine.
You're throwing your money away. But if that's what it takes to make you feel good, have at it.
Old 03-25-07, 08:57 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I dont care what any manufacturer says, I still religiously change oil in my cars every 2,000 miles, even the Mobil 1 Synthetic in my GS430. I dont care how long modern oil lasts, it still gets dirty, and I'd much rather have clean oil in my engine.
OMG Och - can I have some of your money too?

You might want to consider sending some of that "dirty" oil out for analysis, I think you will realize really quick that it is not dirty and you are out some serious cash....
Old 03-25-07, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though Och may be going a little overboard on the side of caution, he is not necessarily throwing his money away. Don't forget, oil deteriorates with time, too, not just mileage. So, a car that is not driven much (mostly short trips or less than 5000 miles a year), especially in cold, damp conditions may need an oil change after only 1500-2000 miles in some cases....the oil will be 4-6 months old and full of condensed moisture and dirt from the engine, and the additive packages will have deteriorated.

Perhaps the best way to explain it is the old Fram oil filter TV commercial (for those of you guys who are old enough to remember it). In the commercial, a mechanic/technician was replacing a ruined engine that had gotten sludged-up, and he turns around, holds up a new Fram filter, and says "You can pay me now or pay me later".

And, in some cases, particularly with vehicles that have oil filters and drain plugs that are easy-to-reach ( 2.5L Subarus and some Toyota 4-cylinders are good examples), you can save money by doing it yourself in your own driveway if the driveway is reasonably level.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 12:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though Och may be going a little overboard on the side of caution, he is not necessarily throwing his money away. Don't forget, oil deteriorates with time, too, not just mileage. So, a car that is not driven much (mostly short trips or less than 5000 miles a year), especially in cold, damp conditions may need an oil change after only 1500-2000 miles in some cases....the oil will be 4-6 months old and full of condensed moisture and dirt from the engine, and the additive packages will have deteriorated.

Perhaps the best way to explain it is the old Fram oil filter TV commercial (for those of you guys who are old enough to remember it). In the commercial, a mechanic/technician was replacing a ruined engine that had gotten sludged-up, and he turns around, holds up a new Fram filter, and says "You can pay me now or pay me later".

And, in some cases, particularly with vehicles that have oil filters and drain plugs that are easy-to-reach ( 2.5L Subarus and some Toyota 4-cylinders are good examples), you can save money by doing it yourself in your own driveway if the driveway is reasonably level.
A lot of that has changed - oil is of much higher quality now and has much higher quantities of detergent. Couple this with cars running cleaner and 2K IS throwing your money away - ESPECIALLY when it is Mobil 1.
Old 03-25-07, 02:09 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
you are wearing your engine more if you shorten the change interval. I'm not kidding, the most wear on your engine is the first few hundred miles after an oil change. Oil analysis proved it.

So not only are you throwing money away, damaging the enviorment, you are also hurting your engine (albeit very slightly)
Old 03-25-07, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
you are wearing your engine more if you shorten the change interval. I'm not kidding, the most wear on your engine is the first few hundred miles after an oil change. Oil analysis proved it.
Where do you come up with this? And how does oil analysis "prove" it?

The most wear on ANY engine, if properly maintained, is when it is brand-new, usually in the first 1000 miles or so of break-in, when the rings, bearings, and valves all seat and metal shavings come off and get in the oil. That is why the first oil change is usually the most critical one.
Old 03-25-07, 06:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, you may say that I'm throwing money away, but afterall it's not that much. I buy a case of Mobil 1 synthetic at Costco, I believe for under $30, and then the oil change is what, another $15? So thats $45 alltogether, every 2000 miles. Give me a break, people waste more on cigarettes, perfumes, etc. I don't know how long oil is suposed to last, I'm not an oil expert or anything, all I know is when I come for an oil change, the oil that is drained from the engine is pretty damn dark in color, and the new oil that goes in is nice and clear, and I have a peace of mind by running clean oil.
Old 03-25-07, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, you may say that I'm throwing money away, but afterall it's not that much. I buy a case of Mobil 1 synthetic at Costco, I believe for under $30, and then the oil change is what, another $15? So thats $45 alltogether, every 2000 miles. Give me a break, people waste more on cigarettes, perfumes, etc. I don't know how long oil is suposed to last, I'm not an oil expert or anything, all I know is when I come for an oil change, the oil that is drained from the engine is pretty damn dark in color, and the new oil that goes in is nice and clear, and I have a peace of mind by running clean oil.
Well, Och, I'm not one of those who necessarily believes you are wasting money, but oil is SUPPOSED to turn dark. If it didn't, it wouldn't be doing its job. To an extent, the darker it turns, the smaller ( and more ) dirt and wear particles (measured in microns) it is removing from the engine...those particles, under a certain size, cannot all be absorbed into the oil filter's filtering elements.
So....you may like the LOOK of nice, fresh, clear, honey/amber colored oil, but you have to expect it to turn dark if it is going to do its job and protect the engine. That's why you have to change it at reasonable intervals.....and there you are doing the right thing.
Old 03-25-07, 07:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, Och, I'm not one of those who necessarily believes you are wasting money, but oil is SUPPOSED to turn dark. If it didn't, it wouldn't be doing its job. To an extent, the darker it turns, the smaller ( and more ) dirt and wear particles (measured in microns) it is removing from the engine...those particles, under a certain size, cannot all be absorbed into the oil filter's filtering elements.
So....you may like the LOOK of nice, fresh, clear, honey/amber colored oil, but you have to expect it to turn dark if it is going to do its job and protect the engine. That's why you have to change it at reasonable intervals.....and there you are doing the right thing.
Right, which is just further proving my theory. If it's turning dark, it means its removing dirt particles, and thus it's getting dirty. This is why I like to change it often to prevent running on dirty oil.
Old 03-25-07, 08:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Right, which is just further proving my theory. If it's turning dark, it means its removing dirt particles, and thus it's getting dirty. This is why I like to change it often to prevent running on dirty oil.
It turns dark almost immediately.
Old 03-25-07, 08:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

color is not an indicator of the oil life. Oil doesn't wear down, rather its the addictives.
Old 03-26-07, 03:19 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Can we go back to making fun of Fords instead of how often Och changes his oil? If he drives 2k miles a year then I dont' see the problem in changing the oil every 2k miles.
Old 03-26-07, 04:15 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Can we go back to making fun of Fords instead of how often Och changes his oil? If he drives 2k miles a year then I dont' see the problem in changing the oil every 2k miles.
Why make fun at all whether it be Och or Ford? Why not just discuss the pros and cons of oil changes at certain intervals for the benefit of educating other members instead of making fun of a business for no reason. This is Car Chat not preschool.
Old 03-26-07, 09:21 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Where do you come up with this? And how does oil analysis "prove" it?

The most wear on ANY engine, if properly maintained, is when it is brand-new, usually in the first 1000 miles or so of break-in, when the rings, bearings, and valves all seat and metal shavings come off and get in the oil. That is why the first oil change is usually the most critical one.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html