Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watch out Lexus... Here comes Hyundai...(Genesis concept images released - Page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 07:46 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear has resemblance of the LS450H... Front also has resemblance of the LS450H
Old 03-27-07, 08:32 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are reasons for that, marshmallo. If you don't want to take my word for it, then go look at these cars for yourself and see what kind of workmanship and quality they now offer for the money. You are obviously a car guy, like me, so I know you have at least some interest in the auto world......otherwise you wouldn't be a regular part of CAR CHAT. Trust me......there are lots worse ways to spend your spare time than looking at new cars. I've been doing it for some 40 years.
Fair enough. I will check it out when it comes out, but I am hoping to
upgrade to a Lexus V8 in a few years. Wow, I just realized that will
cost 2X what the Genesis costs. Lexus no longer offers real value
Old 03-27-07, 11:10 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's funny that a Hyundai Sonata has a higher top speed than the IS350! Did you guys see the story about the guy in AZ who got nabbed by the speed cameras doing 147 in a Sonata?
Old 03-27-07, 11:37 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

A starting price of "well under $30,000"? If the V8 starts at around $30k, then this car should be a hit.

I have been harsh on Hyundai's, but this is a major
Old 03-27-07, 11:48 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Hyundai has really left me speechless in the past few years. They are among the top five in reliability and there warranty is number one in America. I bet in 2015 a majority of us will have a different aspect of Hyundai, I mean come on not all of here in 2000 had this much respect for them. Just imagine what they can do in seven more years.
Old 03-28-07, 04:24 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I am curious to know why anyone would think Lexus should worry about this.

Not trying to put down Hyundai, but I can't imagine why anyone would cross shop any Lexus with this car.
Easy. 300+ HP V8 RWD with good styling, up and coming build quality with great warranty all for under $30K. Sure, I myself wouldn't replace my LS with this car, but I would definitely look at this car to replace my ES300 as a daily driver.
Old 03-28-07, 05:21 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The funny thing is... This isn't even their top of the line car. The Equus will be here in a few years - and that's Hyundai's flagship...

This car's competition is the Lexus GS, Chrysler 300, Infiniti M, BMW 5-Series and Cadillac CTS. The Equus will take on the Mercedes S-Class, Lexus LS, BMW 7-Series, Audi A8, etcetera... And if you've seen what the Equus looks like, you might believe it WILL be competitive...

Another interesting fact, is... When the production version of the Genesis launches next year, Hyundai will be a player in a sector that Toyota took 15 years longer to enter.
Old 03-28-07, 07:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

IMO, this is what the 3rd Gen GS should have been.

Sporty,RWD, impeccable build quality, powerful engine with a large spacious USE-ABLE interior.

All this focus on L finesse design by Lexus resulted in a sporty looking mid-size executive car with a compact car interior volume

The Hyundai Genesis is the spiritual heir to the 2nd Gen GS.
Old 03-28-07, 08:00 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
IMO, this is what the 3rd Gen GS should have been.
The Hyundai Genesis is the spiritual heir to the 2nd Gen GS.
I'd still buy another 3GS over this Hyundai. I understand the 3GS's
shortcomings and in many respects I agree with the naysayers, but
this design although interesting is not spectacular or inspiring ala MB
CLS. It looks as bland and generic as any of a large number of other
mid-sized sedans in the market. I think Infiniti's M45 and Audi's
A6 are vastly superior designs to this clunky concept.

The thing it has going for it is the value side of the equation much
like what Lexus had with the LS 16 years ago. That's it. Above
a certain price point there are no takers for cars that do not have
certain "emblems".
Old 03-28-07, 08:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Wink

A lot of conclusions drawn without seeing the real car in person LOL . . .
Old 03-28-07, 08:03 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Easy. 300+ HP V8 RWD with good styling, up and coming build quality with great warranty all for under $30K. Sure, I myself wouldn't replace my LS with this car, but I would definitely look at this car to replace my ES300 as a daily driver.
Ofcourse this new car would be better than your 5 + year old ES300.........

I am talking about brand new cars, not replacing an old used car. Anyone would do that if they wanted to replace their aging Lexus daily driver (keeping their main Lexus car for weekends) with a brand new Hyundai.

I still stand by my original comment - Lexus has nothing to worry about here. If Lexus were making crap products, then that would be a different story.
Old 03-28-07, 10:11 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am talking about brand new cars, not replacing an old used car. Anyone would do that if they wanted to replace their aging Lexus daily driver (keeping their main Lexus car for weekends) with a brand new Hyundai.

I still stand by my original comment - Lexus has nothing to worry about here. If Lexus were making crap products, then that would be a different story.
I too don't think Lexus has to worry, but all I'm saying is just from what we know I'd probably buy this car over even the new 07 ES350. Why, well, I'd probably buy a lot of other cars over the ES350 anyway as well. I personally don't think the ES is worth the money anymore. I like the IS, love the GS, like the LS, but have no feelings for the ES. It's good to have as a loaner, but not a car for me. What is attractive about this car is all that is potentially will have at its selling price. So I guess when it is all said an done, the actually selling price will determine a lot. If it sells for the same price or even close to the selling price of the ES, than that would be different. For a daily driver though it is hard to beat 100K warranty and good looks with lots of power for a good price. Now, I wouldn't buy it as my weekend fun car though

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-28-07 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 11:49 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

What are you talking about? Mercedes wasn't making crappy cars when Toyota came out with their Lexus LS400 in 1989. Same difference. And that was Toyota's halo car at the time. This "Genesis" is one step beneath Hyundai's top of the line. People will definitely cross shop a Lexus ES350 with this Hyundai Genesis. I don't have a doubt in my mind. When the Equus comes along, people will very likely cross-shop IT with the top brands' top models.

Yes, of course, there are plenty of people who will never consider buying anything but a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or even a Lexus - but "plenty of people" isn't "everybody". These new Hyundais are going to steal sales from all the major manufacturers.

I hate it (and so does everybody else) when somebody fail to admit when a company other than their favorite does something right. I'm a certified Cadillac lunatic and I have no trouble admitting that MY favorite brand has NO answer for half of Lexus' lineup.

The bottom line is - Lexus DOES have something to worry about - whether we don't want to believe it or not. It has been said before that Toyota's biggest worry is not overtaking GM in sales, but rather Hyundai overtaking Toyota in sales. With that in mind, Toyota has told suppliers not to sell parts to Hyundai. If the suppliers resist, Toyota may increase their stockholding in these companies, and thereby force them to do so.

That's not worrying?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-28-07 at 05:13 PM. Reason: unnecessary personal comment
Old 03-28-07, 11:52 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

The Tiburon with the 6-speed, V8 and RWD (on the Genesis platform) will be the weekend fun car. I don't believe Hyundai is trying to portray this as sporty, exactly.. More so "Lexus" luxury with a Toyota price tag...

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I too don't think Lexus has to worry, but all I'm saying is just from what we know I'd probably buy this car over even the new 07 ES350. Why, well, I'd probably buy a lot of other cars over the ES350 anyway *** well. I personally don't think the ES is worth the money anymore. I like the IS, love the GS, like the LS, but have no feelings for the ES. Its good to have as a loaner, but not a car for me. What is attractive about this car is all that is potentially will have at its selling price. So I guess when it is all said an done, the actually selling price will determine a lot. If it sells for the same price or even close to the selling price of the ES, than that would be different. For a daily driver though it is hard to beat 100K warranty and good looks with lots of power for a good price. Now, I wouldn't buy it as my weekend fun car though
Old 03-28-07, 12:34 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Toyota vs Hyundai

I do not think that Toyota, or more specifically Lexus, has much to worry about until Hyundai comes ou w/ their own luxury line (which I am sure they will). Until then, many luxury buyers will probably not choose a Hyundai simply bc of the badge - not bc Hyundai is bad but bc it is not luxury. These are same people who bought a TL/ES instead of an Accord/Camry just bc of the nameplate.

Hyundai may end up shooting themselves in the foot by releasing these premium vehicles under the same badge as their lower end models. They may want to look @ Acura who is having a hard time getting people to not cross shop w/ their Honda products.

Quick Reply: Watch out Lexus... Here comes Hyundai...(Genesis concept images released - Page 2)