Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Subaru WRX Official Pics (2010 sedan gets widebody from Sti)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:49 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the fudge pocket did they do to it?!
Old 03-28-07, 11:57 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Well dammit then bye bye WRX you will be missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us welcome the champion of the rice rocket
*sigh*
I don't like either design. I prefer coupes anyway.
Old 03-28-07, 01:11 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FUGLY!

The new WRX just might save Mitsubishi motor .

I sat in the new Lancer GSR and the interior is much, much better, and the outside looks more upscale (aggressive TSX anyone?).
Old 03-28-07, 05:16 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotta' agree ..... this is no improvement. Subaru needed to work on their interior, and the result looks no better than the one in my '02 WRX. Oh, well.
Old 03-28-07, 09:57 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

so ugly. looks so generic
Old 03-29-07, 02:22 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

^^^
EVO X FTW!
this WRX has lost it big time with the looks!
Old 03-29-07, 07:06 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Talk about butchering a car... YEESH!!!!

How do you go from this design (that was pretty cutting edge/controversial to begin with)...

To that??? That just does not make ANY logical sense!!!
Old 03-29-07, 11:03 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Not what I expected at all.
Old 03-29-07, 06:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Cant believe this is it. I remember how big of a deal the current WRX was when they announced it was coming stateside. The WRX carved out a nice niche here in the states. Other brands quickly followed. You would think they would introduce a new model that would spark some life in the WRX brand and broaden its appeal to more people taken it to another level.

Man, could you imagine if Lexus dropped the ball on the 2nd gen RX330/350?? A segment it basically created??!!

Needs to go back to the drawing board quickly (plus updated engines would be nice as well).
Old 03-29-07, 06:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

What is it?
2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

What's special about it?
By the time the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX makes its way to the U.S. later this year, much of the whining about its conservative styling will have subsided. The WRX die-hards will have calmed down, put their blue-and-gold socks back on and started to appreciate the 2008 Impreza's modest improvements.

The rest of the car-buying public will probably take notice, too. A much improved interior, additional features and a new hatchback body style to go along with the standard sedan should give this Impreza considerably more mainstream appeal than its predecessor.

Courting mainstream buyers has led Subaru to focus its engineering resources on improved packaging and build quality instead of higher-horsepower engines and more complex transmissions. The result is an Impreza lineup with more spacious, higher-quality interiors powered by carryover engines hooked to four- and five-speed transmissions.

Most of the extra interior room comes from a wheelbase that's 3.7 inches longer. There are also an extra 2 inches of living space between the doors, although the exterior width is unchanged. The hatchback is 1.7 inches shorter in overall length than the wagon it replaces, while the sedan measures 4.9 inches longer than its predecessor. Both are expected to arrive with fractionally reduced curb weights.

A tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel makes getting comfortable in the driver seat easier than before. We also sat in the backseat of the hatchback with the driver seat adjusted for a 6-footer. There's plenty of knee and toe room to sit comfortably, but it's the increased headroom that really makes this Impreza feel bigger inside.

Higher-quality materials are used throughout and the overall dash design is similar to the good-looking layout in the Tribeca . It's a relatively simple setup that maintains the Impreza's standard three-dial climate-control arrangement and clear analog dials. A navigation system finally makes its way onto the options sheet of the WRX, along with Subaru's electronic stability control system.

In addition to the extra passenger room, a new double-wishbone rear suspension helps clear some room in the cargo area, too. Open up the hatch and the suspension struts no longer poke their way into the available loading space. The sedan's trunk is positively huge for a midsize four-door, although Subaru didn't give us any hard numbers. The front suspension is an almost direct carryover from the current Legacy setup. Standard Imprezas will get 16-inch wheels, while the higher-performance WRX models will get 17-inch wheels with 205/50R17 Bridgestone RE92A tires at each corner.

Enthusiasts hoping to see big power gains will be disappointed. Both the base model Impreza and the more powerful Impreza WRX models will use carryover engines with minimal upgrades. The turbocharged 2.5-liter engine in the WRX will continue with roughly 225 horsepower and 226 pound-feet of torque, but more of that torque will arrive earlier. A five-speed manual remains the standard transmission and a four-speed automatic is optional.

Subaru has been tight-lipped about changes to the all-wheel-drive system. It has promised some improvements, but provided no details on what to expect. Same goes for the steering, although a quicker ratio is confirmed. No word on any upgrades for the brakes and we don't expect any. Additional details will be released as the car gets closer to its on-sale date in the fall. An ultrahigh-performance STI version will debut around that time and go on sale early next year.

What's Edmunds' take?
A lack of new engines and conservative styling makes this a tough sell to the Impreza faithful. The much broader audience of compact sedan and hatchback buyers, however, are likely to find this more grown-up Impreza more appealing than its predecessor.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*
Old 03-29-07, 07:28 PM
Koma

They should make a 2 door hatch. Lose the crosshatch behind the wings on the grille. And get rid of the clear tails.
It's plain but not ugly.
Old 03-29-07, 10:00 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Just when you thought Subaru couldn't possibly do a worse job in design....it's quite sad actually. Every car enthusiast really wants Subaru to come out with great cars. Too bad their engineers are to ahead of the designers....
Old 03-29-07, 11:59 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

<Die-Hard Subie fan.........but thats straight UGLY. I've never been a fan of hatch's and i'm still not. Looks like the EVO X will win best rice rocket of the year.
Old 03-30-07, 12:39 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

When did Ford buy Subaru? I liked the previous gen (pre-WRX) body style the most. The latest refresh was nice, considering I hated the previous Neon-style lights. This car I had to look closely to make sure the logo didn't say Ford.
Old 03-30-07, 02:15 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

and the saddest thing is that toyota now owns the majority shares of subaru (i think its happened already)

i wonder if toyota can step in to stop this butchering of the WRX

and the article might be some what true, when the WRX comes to north america, the controversy will be subsided but probably because no one will be caring about this car anymore!

Quick Reply: 2008 Subaru WRX Official Pics (2010 sedan gets widebody from Sti)