Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comedian/Actor Eddie Griffin crashes Enzo (caught on tape!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 06:49 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Apparently the concept of amateur racing is foreign to you. But let me explain something, all proffesional racers were once amateur racers. I truly fail to grasp your logic, that racing should only be left to the racers.
I mean no disrepect towards you, but its ignorant thinking like this, that organizations like Sema is trying to fight. This type of thinking is what ruins the hobby for the car enthusiast. Think about it, laws that restrict modifications done to personal property. Laws that restrict, tracks where people could race. You kill amateur racing, and youll take proffesional racing away too. You take that away, and youll end advancement of automotive technology.

That enzo should be fixable.

To be honest, it looks like who is mostly to blame, is the moron, that designed a track layout, who puts concrete barriers so close to a hair pin turn, especially if coming from a straight?!?!?
I didn't see any where from his post stating that he's against amateur racing. He's only questioning why the owner of the car would pass the key of such high performance and expensive car to an actor who probably has no record of racing experience. So guys, relax...
Old 03-28-07, 07:23 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that was an ugly crash. Good thing he is all right...
Old 03-28-07, 07:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
To be honest, it looks like who is mostly to blame, is the moron, that designed a track layout, who puts concrete barriers so close to a hair pin turn, especially if coming from a straight?!?!?
Well it was for a charity event, so I'm assuming they wanted to keep the crowd safe, but allow them to get close enough to see the action up close. The reason the crowd wasn't there was this was a 'practice' round.

Originally Posted by newr
was he doing autoxing? what a waste for that kind of car.. glad he is not hurt though.
Are you kidding me? I'm glad that somebody was actually using an Enzo for what it was meant for - RACING. I'm sick of people who just buy some high dollar exotic Ferrari and then let it sit in their climate controlled garage like a piece of artwork that doesn't actually work other than for a quick spin around the block on a nice day once a year.

Too many douches with too much money and no real appreciation for RACING their RACE cars are out there. I understand that's good for the collector market, but speaking as somebody who will never be able to afford one of those cars in the first place - if you're going to spend a million+ dollars on a top notch race car and then never race it - you probably should have just bought a picture of it and put it on your wall... save the car for somebody who would actually US it... like Eddie Griffin was.

Props to Eddie for that and also for not coming out of the car all pissed off trying to blame the car or the track or somebody other than himself.
Old 03-28-07, 08:22 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Are you kidding me? I'm glad that somebody was actually using an Enzo for what it was meant for - RACING. I'm sick of people who just buy some high dollar exotic Ferrari and then let it sit in their climate controlled garage like a piece of artwork that doesn't actually work other than for a quick spin around the block on a nice day once a year.

Too many douches with too much money and no real appreciation for RACING their RACE cars are out there. I understand that's good for the collector market, but speaking as somebody who will never be able to afford one of those cars in the first place - if you're going to spend a million+ dollars on a top notch race car and then never race it - you probably should have just bought a picture of it and put it on your wall... save the car for somebody who would actually US it... like Eddie Griffin was.
No I am not kidding! If you want to set up some cones and dance around them.. get a Miata.. not a an Enzo... it's an insult to Ferrari to let an Enzo dances around cones.
Old 03-28-07, 08:29 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Ive NEVER saw him so serious
Old 03-28-07, 08:40 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sad and judging from the video, there is little doubt he needed some of the basics in driving lessons before he should have been handed the keys to that vehicle. Not saying he is a bad driver, but everyone including all of you need to get accustomed to a new car before pushing it around cones at such velocities. Every car has different handling characteristics ,braking, steering ratio,etc....I also agree with most in that the wall was a bit too close but they probably were not counting on this guy pushing the car at that rate of speed either as even a Ferrari is bound by the laws of physics as we know it.
Old 03-28-07, 08:45 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea that wall looked really close to the course... At least Eddie can buy another one... LOL
Old 03-28-07, 09:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Dunno Eddie's background WRT driving. We all make mistakes so that is why we use the appropriate gear for task at hand. The owner will get over it as there will be another car to add to his collection.

A run with a skilled driver and Eddie taking notes would have prepared him a bit for how to handle this particular course. Dunno the particulars so it's only a guess.

First time I did a course, I thought my pokey Celica would be okay...it's not very fast to begin with. I had a cone fest. It was fun! and minimal damage to my car beyond the scuff marks left on the front lower valence.
Old 03-28-07, 10:05 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 thats what I was trying to get to. hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I didn't see any where from his post stating that he's against amateur racing. He's only questioning why the owner of the car would pass the key of such high performance and expensive car to an actor who probably has no record of racing experience. So guys, relax...
Old 03-28-07, 10:24 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Apparently the Redline cast and crew are not limiting themselves to wrecking Enzo's

http://www.fastcoolcars.com/Redline-the-movie-1.htm
Old 03-28-07, 11:28 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Wow Enzo Ferrari and a Porsche Carrera GT crashed! What a waste.
Old 03-28-07, 11:54 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the CGT was planned. The Enzo... not so much.
Old 03-28-07, 01:01 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

What I don't get is why the initial reports has the value of the Enzo at $250K when I first heard about this story, they were saying that it was a $250K Enzo... meanwhile, I'm yelling at my TV because people would wish they could buy the Enzo for that little. Maybe that's what this one is worth after the wreck, but whatever... glad he's alright... and I'm sure the geeks at Ferrari can fix that. All the vitals were spared.
Old 03-28-07, 01:10 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

You break it,you buy it!
Old 03-28-07, 06:03 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i read that the enzo is "totaled".

they should have given him a drug test immediately after the crash. i bet he was all coked up.

Quick Reply: Comedian/Actor Eddie Griffin crashes Enzo (caught on tape!!)