Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comedian/Actor Eddie Griffin crashes Enzo (caught on tape!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 07:49 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gekko
i read that the enzo is "totaled".

they should have given him a drug test immediately after the crash. i bet he was all coked up.
An Enzo is not easy to drive.
I'm not saying he couldn't be coked up but anyone could easily crash an Enzo.
Old 03-29-07, 08:23 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Griffin, a typical driver with no experience with this level of performance seems to have panicked, pinned the throttle, and smacked the barrier when the Enzo got a little squirrelly under power. It's not entirely his fault - some bozo put him in a vehicle that was CLEARLY beyond his capability and experience. You or I would probably have done the same thing under the circumstances.

Whether it's NHRA, SCCA Club Racing, Autocross, or Saturday night at the local bull ring, amateur racing is a gateway. There are schools for the basics, limited only by the thickness of one's wallet. Amateur racing is all about learning to drive under competition conditions, gaining experience in small increments. You start out in a small production class and move up - maybe at some point moving over to modifieds, then after more training and successful experience you might move into the pro ranks - if you can find a ride. Otherwise, you've had a lot of fun - and if that's not the point of it all, what is?

I don't think anyone off the street with no real racing experience could begin to handle an Enzo. That car is an F1 with fenders - mere mortals may not apply. There are several other examples of high-performance vehicles that only the highly trained, qualified, and experienced should be allowed to drive - for their own safety. Perhaps that's what makes them good investments - after 15 or 20 years there will be few examples left of these limited-production vehicles. Their owners (or their friends) will have destroyed them, making the remainder rare birds indeed.
Old 03-29-07, 10:58 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Thats why I don't let people drive my car.....
Old 03-29-07, 11:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
Thats why I don't let people drive my car.....
I can imagine you won't let people to even touch your car when you own a Ferrari
Old 03-29-07, 11:25 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I can imagine you won't let people to even touch your car when you own a Ferrari
I'd stab anyone within a 10 meter radius
Just kidding off course
Old 03-29-07, 11:39 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lessons learned everyone
don't lend ur ferrari enzo to anyone from now on
Old 03-29-07, 01:01 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

What a tool! Anyone that attended one of the Lexus high performance schools could see how those that thought they "knew" how to drive overdrove the cars first time out. You should have been able to see this coming. Never let off the gas, like my kids playing GT4 HD on the PS3.

What's with the other tool behind the barriers watching the crash and not even flinching?!? He's lucky nothing came flying off towards him.
Old 03-29-07, 01:07 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

damn...what a waste of that beast....
Old 03-29-07, 01:45 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

publicity stunt. Planned, it wasn't that bad of a crash. Hardly DESTROYED like the story makes it sound.
Old 03-29-07, 02:28 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Yup, 4 replica were made for the movie priced @ ~ $300,G each. How dare those publicists lied to us??!
Old 03-29-07, 04:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought cars like these were never really totaled anyway? Aren't they sent back to Italy for a full factory ground up rebuild? I think it cost in the hundreds of thousands, but at least you get a complete factory rebuild car back.
Old 03-29-07, 10:12 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

the cars wheels looked like they were turned and the car just plowed ahead into the wall... which looks like another ferrari wreck i saw with a F50.... wheels turned.. car still going in the original direction....

.... they don't appear to be great handling cars.....
Old 03-29-07, 11:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

With all this publicity floating through the net...it seems fishy IMO. What better way to promote the film then trash a few $$ cars to get the name recognition. Obvious brainless to let a unskilled driver behind the wheel of an Enzo and to put a barrier wall so close to a turn. I would think a competent road course designer would have told them that crash wall was too close.

It stinks.
Old 03-30-07, 12:33 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
the cars wheels looked like they were turned and the car just plowed ahead into the wall... which looks like another ferrari wreck i saw with a F50.... wheels turned.. car still going in the original direction....

I saw that. Talk about major understeer.
Old 03-30-07, 01:10 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NAZTY97

take any 'great handling' cars... even one created by God himself... go super hot into the corner.... then brake as hard as one can because of the concrete wall ahead... then turn the wheel in the direction one wants to go... and guess where car is going to go?... straight into the concrete wall.. It does not matter which great handling car you have, you can't defy the law of physics. I would blame it on the driver and not the car.

Quick Reply: Comedian/Actor Eddie Griffin crashes Enzo (caught on tape!!)