Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Class vs Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 11:41 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Oh I got u now.

Well I liken a set of wheels to a pair of shoes! You have prowings and nike.
You have hushpuppies and feraggamo.
Old 03-29-07, 02:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
IMHO, it doesn't matter if it is spinners or Work rims, or even teddy bear rims. Anyone that puts down another just because it is not of their own taste has no class. There are too many people who think their way and opinion is the only way and everyone else who doesn't follow the same path are wrong and misled. I think those type of people think they are a class above and have no respect for others.
You are so right. I made the statement earlier to eliminate them to help people with their ability to comment....to set some parameters. But you are right. I still would never buy spinners cause I think they are too show-offy but to each his own.
Old 03-29-07, 03:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
No way it can be said that mods are without class now that you can purchase them the dealer.
Do you really think your statement above is true Reggie? Case in point below.

This car above sold in the dealer showroom in FL - but like CK6Speed says - it probably really appeals to someone else; more power to them if it makes them happy . I personally don't have to like it, nor should I have to consider it a 'classy' modification even if a dealer puts it on.

I was at my Lexus dealer today and they have a pretty extensive wall of 'Lexus' branded aftermarket wheels. I would not put 70% of the wheels shown on any car I owned. The other 30% looked great to me. It's all about personal taste.
Old 03-29-07, 03:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Do you really think your statement above is true Reggie? Case in point below.

This car above sold in the dealer showroom in FL - but like CK6Speed says - it probably really appeals to someone else; more power to them if it makes them happy . I personally don't have to like it, nor should I have to consider it a 'classy' modification even if a dealer puts it on.

I was at my Lexus dealer today and they have a pretty extensive wall of 'Lexus' branded aftermarket wheels. I would not put 70% of the wheels shown on any car I owned. The other 30% looked great to me. It's all about personal taste.
Darn Dave, I was hoping no one would catch me with that. I saw a couple of those but I'm sure everyone knows they are excluded from consideration. Tell you what though, they tell me they sell lots of those. Somebody likes them.
Old 03-29-07, 03:54 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Stealing Cadillac customers I see...
Old 03-29-07, 04:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are so right. I made the statement earlier to eliminate them to help people with their ability to comment....to set some parameters. But you are right. I still would never buy spinners cause I think they are too show-offy but to each his own.
I'd never buy spinners or even chrome rims for myself, but I also would never knock someone down if he chooses to do so. It may not be my style, but there is nothing wrong with it being someone else's style.

For the record, I wouldn't say some mods ads class to a car. The only thing I would say is it doesn't take away class. "Class" is a perceived status. It means different things for different people. I'm not God so I feel I can dictate to others what is or is not class for everyone

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-29-07 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-29-07, 04:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I kind of dig the soft roof...
Old 03-29-07, 06:56 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AM1
i just want to say that even using the term "bling","blingy" etc , shows that you have no knowledge of slang. Even the person who first created that term in this case B.G. doesn't use it anymore. Like people saying "shizzle" thinking its cool or something.
So well said it's not even funny!! It's always interesting how the "uncool" get on the bandwagon years later and attempt to dictate what's cool or should be accepted. Like most others have stated in this thread, TO EACH HIS OWN!

and DaveGS4 those Caddy LS pics are classic, .
Old 03-29-07, 07:16 PM
LexFather

My 45 cents.
It seems purists would prefer the car stock. Purists feel the car from the factory is the way the vehicle was intended to be. Engineers spend countless hours producing a car and deciding the wheels. Ferrari owners maybe the best/worst example. The old heads and purists would not change a thing on a Ferrari and feel anything done is bad for the car.

Class and show can be shakey. For instance, HRE's one of the highest quality brands might be considred Class in silver finish. In chrome, it maybe considered show!

Wheel diameters continue to grow. I think anything over 19" is for show. People don't track cars with 20" wheels. I am not saying a 20" or larger wheel is not classy, they can be both. But IMO, SHOW is the main motivator, not class.

I go back to "purity". What mods are actually FUNCTIONAL that you see? Rarely any. Even a spoiler, added or OEM, is for show. A Lexus is not a race car, it will not be driven at 150 mph + for miles where downforce is an issue.

At that point, you then can go class. A well fitting bodykit. Or you can go with something very extravagent. Its your choice.

I also think some of it is knowledge or lack of it. I can admit to making some early mods that the O.Gs thought were not of good taste. I honestly didn't know at the time, but I read and learned from our Obi-Wan's!

As for the dealer offering parts, I've seen a lot of items on luxury cars that make me cringe, sold by the dealer. The dealer is no dummie, clearly they feel SOMEONE wants it. Is it classy, IMO, no it is not.

I am not rich in anyway but I think a classy car with mods and wheels is one you kind of glance at and notice that "wow, something is different, not sure what".

The show cars, are the ones where you can clearly see, "WOW, LOOK AT THAT".

And there is the RARE blend of both. I've seen them at auto shows. The funny thing is, they probably lose to the SHOW car.

What ever toots your fiddle. I now have an appreciation for what a person does to their car. It makes them happy.

Old 03-30-07, 12:38 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My 45 cents.
It seems purists would prefer the car stock. Purists feel the car from the factory is the way the vehicle was intended to be. Engineers spend countless hours producing a car and deciding the wheels. Ferrari owners maybe the best/worst example. The old heads and purists would not change a thing on a Ferrari and feel anything done is bad for the car.
I can see where Ferrari or other exotic car owners are coming from. Most of the time a Ferrari or exotic car is built for a specific purpose and vision. A regular car especially a family sedan; however, is build as a compromise to please the maximum number of individual buyers. One example is me being 5' 4". Not everything on my LS is a perfect fit for me, but I bet it is a much better fit for the average 5' 8" guy.
Old 03-30-07, 05:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Several great posts...it has given me the chance to think about why I mod.
I am a show-off. When I walk into a room, I want my presense felt. That's why I buy expensive cologne and jewelry. That's why I wear expensive or well chosen clothes and shoes. Some things don't have to be expensive to look good. I never want to be the biggest or baddest but I definitely never want to be insignificant. I want to cause a reaction and I don't care if it's positive or negative because eventually, I'll cause you to change your feeling about me. In other words, I want to be an individual who is part of society but still an individual. One of a kind. Not cookie cutter. Not assembly line. SOme things you have to do to be a productive member of society but you can still be you.

Same for my cars. I want it to be known as mine. I want to walk out of a store, look in the lot and clearly see mine from a mile away. There is a negative side. Once, a girlfriend spotted my car at a restaurant. She was with her parents. They all saw the car. Isn't that Reggie's car, the mother said. The girlfriend came in to see me with another girl. Everything has it's bad side but since I'm married and life right, who cares now. If I have to pay all this money on a material object that loses value every year, I want it to have presense and personality. To leave a memory. To be associated with me.
I know all this sounds weird to some people but I'm sure parts of it relates to everyone here. You don't buy a premium car unless you have a certain personality. If it was only transportation that mattered, we'd all be in Honda's or something. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Well, not really. I'm trying to change, to be more low key. It's working too. Not my cars though. They will be a reflection of a fantasy, an escape, a refuge and my toy.
Old 03-30-07, 07:37 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I am a show-off. When I walk into a room, I want my presense felt. That's why I buy expensive cologne and jewelry. That's why I wear expensive or well chosen clothes and shoes. Some things don't have to be expensive to look good. I never want to be the biggest or baddest but I definitely never want to be insignificant. I want to cause a reaction and I don't care if it's positive or negative because eventually, I'll cause you to change your feeling about me. In other words, I want to be an individual who is part of society but still an individual. One of a kind. Not cookie cutter. Not assembly line. SOme things you have to do to be a productive member of society but you can still be you.

Same for my cars. I want it to be known as mine. I want to walk out of a store, look in the lot and clearly see mine from a mile away. There is a negative side. Once, a girlfriend spotted my car at a restaurant. She was with her parents. They all saw the car. Isn't that Reggie's car, the mother said. The girlfriend came in to see me with another girl. Everything has it's bad side but since I'm married and life right, who cares now. If I have to pay all this money on a material object that loses value every year, I want it to have presense and personality. To leave a memory. To be associated with me.
I know all this sounds weird to some people but I'm sure parts of it relates to everyone here. You don't buy a premium car unless you have a certain personality. If it was only transportation that mattered, we'd all be in Honda's or something. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Well, not really. I'm trying to change, to be more low key. It's working too. Not my cars though. They will be a reflection of a fantasy, an escape, a refuge and my toy.
That's poetry man. You got me in tears of here. Well said doggie.
Old 03-30-07, 08:19 AM
Milla...

Your very honest Reggiek and I truely get your point.
Old 04-03-07, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Just curious and please don't take this the wrong way. I would think you would be in a BMW or a Benz or even keeping a Lex since they have much more "presence" than an Infiniti. Just curious.

Lol, in college there were a couple Mike's and people would describe me as "Lexus" Mike and everyone would know who that is. so I see your point entirely.

Old 04-04-07, 05:19 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Just curious and please don't take this the wrong way. I would think you would be in a BMW or a Benz or even keeping a Lex since they have much more "presence" than an Infiniti. Just curious.
I'm not that much of a showoff. I still have humility...and some class. I'm not that loud mouthed jerk that no one wants to be around. I know you didn't say that I just want to set the record straight.
I also have some common sense. German cars are nice but unreliable. Doesn't make sense to me...to own something that will give more problems. Tried it...won't again. Judging by the looks from others, the G35 has plenty of presence but I'll always have my SC300...it's the star...not me.

Quick Reply: Class vs Show