Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Class vs Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 02:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Class vs Show

Recently, I had a debate with a member who feels placing aftermarket wheels on an LS took away it's class. Over the years, I've encountered a few others who believe changing a great looking car was stupid or tasteless...or something negative.
While there are examples of poorly chosen wheels that take away from a car, a well chosen set can only enhance the car in my opinion.
To everyone that believes big, shiny wheels are faux, I have news for you. I'm at JMLexus right now. Not only are they selling aftermarket stuff from Element 114, they have a new line of wheels from a company called Forge Tec. They look pretty darn good and come in several styles. There is an ES350 with mesh style forged 20's with Nitto 555 tires. Not a tire I would go with but the car looks very nice. Tires are 245-35-20 and the wheels have a decent lip. This place is selling springs, intakes, grills, strut bars, spoilers...and so on. They always had that stuff in limited availability for the IS300 but now any car can be bought with mods. You can choose what you want from the point of purchase and include it in your financing.
That should change things. No way it can be said that mods are without class now that you can purchase them the dealer.

So chime in with your opinions...are wheels/mods without class now?
Old 03-28-07, 02:17 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one never thought changing the wheels of a "classy" car took away any of it's class. I actually always felt the opposite. With the LS as an example, I feel the stock rims are clean and look very nice on the car. Upgrade to a higher end and not necessarily bling wheels, just nice, elegant aftermarkets, and now the car carries a bit more cache to me.
Old 03-28-07, 02:22 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all about if the car looks good all together. Just because the rims look good, doesnt mean they look good on a particular car.
Old 03-28-07, 02:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aesthetic balance is key.

You don't put 24" wheels on an LS.
You don't drop the IS 4 inches.
You don't tint your windows gold.

You can modify to a certain extent to make the car more performance or comfort oriented, or to create an aesthetically pleasing unique vehicle that makes it your own.

How do you define aesthetic balance on a vehicle? It is the idea that something complements and highlights the car, rather that overtakes and outdoes it altogether.
Old 03-28-07, 03:26 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is quite simple...

Personal Touch

or

Regular Ordinary
Old 03-28-07, 03:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

class? who? stock? show? what? huh?

Sorry, some people really don't know what the heck they're talking about. Don't you just wish you had these type of pictures lying around when foolish-ness comes a knockin' ?
Old 03-28-07, 03:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I totally hate big shiny rims, i find them tacky. But then I hate everything that is remotely "bling bling". When I bought my 01 GS430 with factory chromies, I immediately swapped them with stock 17" satin rims from 06 GS300.
Old 03-28-07, 04:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I totally hate big shiny rims, i find them tacky. But then I hate everything that is remotely "bling bling". When I bought my 01 GS430 with factory chromies, I immediately swapped them with stock 17" satin rims from 06 GS300.
Do you think something like this is tacky?

What about the LS pictured above...is that tacky?
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I want to understand how any change of wheels is tacky. Some wheels are tacky but all wheels? Someone needs to explain this.
Old 03-28-07, 10:09 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just want to say that even using the term "bling","blingy" etc , shows that you have no knowledge of slang. Even the person who first created that term in this case B.G. doesn't use it anymore. Like people saying "shizzle" thinking its cool or something. If i could afford an LS 460 i seriously would put in an air suspension and put the biggest chrome rims i could under the fenders, and oh yeah smoke the tailights black, and tint the windows black.
Old 03-29-07, 07:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
class? who? stock? show? what? huh?

Sorry, some people really don't know what the heck they're talking about. Don't you just wish you had these type of pictures lying around when foolish-ness comes a knockin' ?
This LS just looks amazing!!!

The drop, the stance of the wheels, the color of the car, everything just looks so well done and classy!
Old 03-29-07, 08:06 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

All a matter of taste for your particular tuner likes. While I don't find spinning 22+ stylish on any car, there are those that like them. This presumes there is one way to add a unique touch to an individuals car.
Old 03-29-07, 08:14 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

4 tiny words guys, its not that hard...

To each his own.
Old 03-29-07, 10:47 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
4 tiny words guys, its not that hard...

To each his own.
We know that's the bottom line but everyone has an opinion whether aftermarket wheels enhance or take away class. Let's leave extreme wheels like spinners out of it. What about a nice set of Work's or Vellano wheels. Does that take the classiness out?

In 93 I bought the brand new just released Camaro. I got the stock wheels chromed. Got compliment from everyone, everywhere. Except one person. One of the girls I was dating was a lawyer. She said I had "******fied" the car. She said professionals don't do those things, they drive it plain. I strongly disagreed and still do.
That's the question...does show ruin class.
Old 03-29-07, 11:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
This LS just looks amazing!!!

The drop, the stance of the wheels, the color of the car, everything just looks so well done and classy!
Yes, I like it too, it's not overdone
Old 03-29-07, 11:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
We know that's the bottom line but everyone has an opinion whether aftermarket wheels enhance or take away class. Let's leave extreme wheels like spinners out of it. What about a nice set of Work's or Vellano wheels. Does that take the classiness out?

IMHO, it doesn't matter if it is spinners or Work rims, or even teddy bear rims. Anyone that puts down another just because it is not of their own taste has no class. There are too many people who think their way and opinion is the only way and everyone else who doesn't follow the same path are wrong and misled. I think those type of people think they are a class above and have no respect for others.

Quick Reply: Class vs Show