Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti EX Concept (EX35) @ NYIAS (Update - Interior Pics )

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 12:53 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought the IS250 was a 4-cylinder before I actually read the detailed specs on it. lol

I say as long as this car has a larger interior than the RDX and X3, it will be great. IMO, introducing a smaller car in your lineup does not mean you are moving down-market. Especially when it is being introduced at a price that is almost the same as another SUV in the lineup (FX). IMO, you are only moving down-market when you are introducing something significantly cheaper, not something smaller. Lexus moved down-market with the IS250. Who cares? Even Bentley has moved 'down-market.'

The small CUV market is going to get big from the way it looks like. Acura, BMW, now Infiniti and I believe Audi along with rumors of Lexus possibly joining the party... There must be some sort of demand for all these manufacturers to be rolling out their own version of the small CUV.

As far as the rumors in regards to the next FX go, they are all true. A handful of current Infiniti owners have been invited to a private session where they were actually shown the next FX and received brief details in regards to its performance and what not in order to get some feedback. I hear its HAAAWT!
Don't forget Land Rover, MB, and VW (if you count the Tiguan). Volvo, SAAB, and Cadillac are preparing offerings, too, supposedly (XC60, 9-4x, and BRX, if my memory serves me correctly).
Old 03-30-07, 01:12 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trexus
Lexus had a four cylinder IS 200 not a four cylinder IS 250. In Europe Lexus has the IS 220d which has a four cylinder in it.
I stand corrected on that one.

But a fact is that the market is changing all the time and even the tier one marques have to adjust. That's why we've seen them all make efforts to capture younger, less affluent customers in recent years. Both BMW and Mercedes has tried in the last few years with some sub-30K offerings.
Old 03-30-07, 05:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Infiniti's New Around View Monitor for New EX . . .

MORE : CLICK HERE
Old 03-30-07, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I stand corrected on that one.

But a fact is that the market is changing all the time and even the tier one marques have to adjust. That's why we've seen them all make efforts to capture younger, less affluent customers in recent years. Both BMW and Mercedes has tried in the last few years with some sub-30K offerings.
Well the difference is you have tier 1 brands that CAN go downmarket b/c they have 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k, 110k 120k priced cars. Infiniti does not have that, the are at a 50-60k ceiling.

Lexus is very very cautious about this, this was released yesterday :

“The sub-segments of the industry are getting very clouded,” Carter says.
Another rumored new vehicle from Lexus, a small CUV to compete with BMW’s X3 and Acura’s RDX, likely would be better suited to Europe, he says, a point supported by Toyota Motor Europe President Takashi Arashima, who recently told Ward’s the best opportunities for Lexus to expand in Europe are in the small premium segments.

“The X3 and RDX don’t seem to be lighting up the market right now in North America,” Carter says of their sales, adding Lexus wouldn’t want a vehicle that would steal sales away from its RX models.

Ward’s data shows X3 sales were up 27.4% in February to 2,015 units. American Honda Motor Co. Inc. sold 2,034 RDX vehicles last month, up from January levels but far off the rate necessary to achieve first-year sales of 40,000 units the auto maker predicted when the vehicle went on sale last year.

Lexus management has shown they are simply some of the best if not the best in the industry. Also let us remember, the X3 is cute ute SIZED but priced like a mid-size.

Old 03-30-07, 07:17 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robarapta
MORE : CLICK HERE
What a great idea! I wish I had thought of it.

Gonna be high maintenance though.
Old 03-30-07, 07:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Interior Pics . . .

Old 03-30-07, 07:45 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

*drools* awesome interior
Old 03-30-07, 07:52 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that actually looks really good.
Old 03-30-07, 08:44 PM
LexFather

Nice inteiror, reminds me of the G35's

Old 03-30-07, 08:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Interior is very nice. Doubt it will look that good in production form, but will probably share the same design.

Exterior?? Not crazy about it at all. THe only cute-ute that actually looked okay IMO was the last gen Rav4 (in proper Sport spec of course). The rest of these things have me scratching my head.
Old 03-30-07, 09:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

The interior looks super hot!

I just hope that they don't mess it up like they did with G concept to the G37.
Old 03-30-07, 09:52 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given Infiniti's transition from concept to production interior with the G, I don't have much hope for this car's exterior. The oval vents seem a bit awkwardly and randomly placed, and don't really match the rest of the interior's design. The rest... well, I could honestly see them replacing this concept interior with a production interior that looked exactly the same as the G's.
Old 03-30-07, 09:54 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

that around the view thing is pointless. now had they mounted the camera on the side mirror instead of the bottom then they could use it for blind spots, which serves more purpose.
Old 03-30-07, 10:15 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

love the interior!!! wow.
Old 03-30-07, 11:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased

As far as the rumors in regards to the next FX go, they are all true. A handful of current Infiniti owners have been invited to a private session where they were actually shown the next FX and received brief details in regards to its performance and what not in order to get some feedback. I hear its HAAAWT!
You mean this??

I got invited to a market research study and it turned out it was to evaluate a concept FX. I had to compare it against the new Acura MDX, BMW X5, Lexus RX, and Mercedes ML. The side profile is pretty much the same with the addition of vents in front of the front wheels. The back is evolutionary with nice curves and lines. It is a nice step forward. As to the front, I remain somewhat speechless. Where-as the current FX has a tall front grill, the front of this car appeared much thinner. It was almost like the front of a sports car had been stuck onto the FX. The front was the biggest change and I'm not sold on it yet. However, compared to the other cars, I'd still pick the FX.

The FX37 gets bumped up to 300 horsepower. The FX50 comes with 390 horsepower and 369 lb.ft of torque. This sold me more than anything. I would guess that if the weight doesn't change that much, this thing must be quick.

The interior was nice. The steering wheel was hot with really cool looking paddle shifters. The look of it and the instrument panel reminded me a bit of the Acura MDX. The center console was much like the M.

They showed some technology on a laptop demo:

1) Slow moving traffic cruise control. The car can slow down and speed up based on the car in front of you.

2) The mirrors would move if you moved the seat. So I guess if you're on a long drive and occasionaly change your seat position, the mirrors would auto adjust with you.

3) This was the coolest. It was the rear-view camera taken to the next level. There were cameras in front of the car and behind it. On your Nav screen, it would show an outline of the car (as if looking down from the sky) and would paste the images around the car, so you'd have an almost 360 degree view of what was around you.

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX Concept (EX35) @ NYIAS (Update - Interior Pics )