Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti EX Concept (EX35) @ NYIAS (Update - Interior Pics )

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Infiniti EX Concept (EX35) @ NYIAS (Update - Interior Pics )

Nissan only just released news that it has suspended development of its heavy-duty pickup--indeed they may scrap the program entirely--and it appears they may even abandon some of their body-on-frame trucks like the Pathfinder, Armada, and Infiniti QX56. The reason? The rising popularity and attractive fuel economy of crossovers. And the company’s latest salvo is sure to shake up the market of SUV/car blends: the Infiniti EX.

The Infiniti EX Concept, which made its public debut at the New York International Auto Show in early April, features the sensual lines and performance of a sports car with the utility and all-wheel-drive security of an SUV. And it is a concept essentially in name only. Infiniti sources assured Nissan Sport that the vehicle is as much as 95 percent production ready.

“With this stunning EX Concept, we’re pleased to announce that along with the basic exterior and interior designs, the production Infiniti EX will include much of the EX Concept’s innovative technology,” said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division, Nissan North America, Inc.
As with many concept cars, the EX does have some cutting edge technology not quite mature enough for production. Such is the case with the EX Concept’s liquid crystal glass roof that electronically alters the top of the vehicle from a transparent state to a more translucent appearance.

“The EX Concept’s glass roof technology is a fascinating study in how technology can be utilized to change the entire interior atmosphere of a vehicle by adding or subtracting not just light, but the occupants’ view of the outside world,” said Igo.

But look for some of the other features to appear on the EX in the near term, such as the Around View Monitor (AVM), which uses miniature cameras mounted behind the windshield and on the sides and rear of the vehicle to help reduce blind spots during parking. Meanwhile, the Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system utilizes a piece of existing technology (Infiniti’s currently available Lane Departure Warning System) to interact with the VDC system and assist the (sleepy? distracted?) driver to maintain lane position if he or she begins to inadvertently drift out of the lane.

While not directly intervening with steering, LDP utilizes VDC braking of individual brakes to begin a gentle yaw movement back into the intended lane. One would assume LDP would not be activated if the driver signals for a lane change. Besides improving the chances that modern drivers might actually use their turn signals, some might see LDP as the next coming of Big Brother. Others may view it as the epitome of benevolent technology. In either case, both AVM and LDP may be considered among the next wave of active safety devices that seamlessly will be woven into our future vehicles.

Other details for the production EX remain unreleased, but sources have told Nissan Sport that it will be a 3.5-liter V6 with a five-speed automatic tranny (we predict it will be the VQ35HR, although the DE is a possibility). The official name for the crossover with be, appropriately, the EX35. You can bet Infiniti will be seeking a balance of fuel economy and performance for this model. Whichever engine is selected, expect to see it matched with an all-wheel drive system with an electric soft-touch shifter controlling it from the cockpit.

Speaking of the cockpit, there’s plenty of leather and aluminum alloy trim from the driver’s seat. The EX Concept features an interior lighting system with special indirect headrest illumination. To your right is a large, leather appointed center console box to hold all your gadgets, while a driver-oriented instrument panel reflects violet colored, high-contrast gauges and a wide LCD monitor for audio and HVAC control. Of course, the signature Infiniti analog clock is present as well. Looking toward the rear, a large rear cargo area combines function with a little flash in aluminum alloy flooring with luggage rails.

“The EX Concept’s interior is all about driving pleasure and passenger comfort,” said Igo. “Like the exterior, it offers a coupe-like feel but surprising utility--ideal for today’s active lifestyles.”
Utilizing yet another variation of the advanced Front Midship (FM) platform series, the EX Concept is expected to be a sharp handling vehicle. Riding on a 112.0” wheelbase (slightly tighter than the G Coupe’s 112.2”), Infiniti’s crossover will have a relatively small turning circle and enhanced maneuverability. The rear multi-link suspension has a low shock absorber layout to maximize cargo space in the rear. Wheels and tires also look production ready, with 19” seven-spoke alloys carrying 245/55-19 tires.
“The EX Concept is the perfect fusion of a luxury coupe and a high-utility SUV,” said Igo. “Its ‘right-sized’ packaging gives it excellent around town maneuverability, while the wide rear hatch and low load floor make it a versatile performer for everyday and weekend use.”

The EX35 is poised to slide into the lineup next to the highly successful FX series as early as this fall, and certainly before the end of 2007. Expect the crossover, a shoe-size smaller than the FX, to be priced in the mid $30,000 range.

http://www.nissansportmag.com/newsno...initiex35.html
Old 03-28-07, 10:37 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thad be pretty stupied, looks to much like the fx
Old 03-28-07, 10:44 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

I believe the EX is the successor to the current FX in the small SUV class. The FX is going to be bigger to compete with the GX and X5. Looks great IMO. Good evolution of the original FX design.
Old 03-28-07, 11:16 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh that's where the G35 and G37 designers went.

This car looks fantastic. It is absolutely going to eat up the market; it looks better than anything in its class. Way more dynamic and fluid than the RDX, and let's not even talk about how much better it looks compared to X3.
Old 03-28-07, 11:25 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
This car looks fantastic. It is absolutely going to eat up the market; it looks better than anything in its class. Way more dynamic and fluid than the RDX, and let's not even talk about how much better it looks compared to X3.
I think it looks great as well...Infiniti has a history designing stunning concepts. However, their production vehicles don't always appear the same (i.e., the M and the G37 coupe).
Old 03-28-07, 11:49 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Not sure about the tail lights but generally it looks good IMO.
Old 03-29-07, 03:32 AM
Justin_T.W.
Rookie

It will definitly be the most fascinating compact crossover compared to the X3, RDX or even the Lex RX.
This Infiniti shows some Alfa-ness at the rear. I really like that....
Old 03-29-07, 04:36 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd hit it.........
Old 03-29-07, 04:55 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd take that over the RDX which i'm guess it's target other than the X3.
Old 03-29-07, 06:55 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone else see a duplicate rear end of the Subaru Tribeca???

What on Earth made them think that looks good?? Yeesh! I guess they had the same Kool-Aid that the designers at Subaru did when the desinged the Tribeca.
Old 03-29-07, 07:04 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

i dont see the point in having an even smaller crossover. i think the RX and the current FX are the perfect size in terms of cargo and not being too big for a crossover. Going smaller would end up losing the cargo room and would make it simply a sedan that's taller. the only way to maximize cargo room on a car of that size is do what the element and xB does and just extend the roof upwards. I think people are realizing that and I bet the RDX is having a hard time selling and selling way below expectations.
Old 03-29-07, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice looking SUV, the front looks like a raised G35 sedan, & I like the hood lid more.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-29-07 at 07:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-07, 09:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
i dont see the point in having an even smaller crossover. i think the RX and the current FX are the perfect size in terms of cargo and not being too big for a crossover. Going smaller would end up losing the cargo room and would make it simply a sedan that's taller. the only way to maximize cargo room on a car of that size is do what the element and xB does and just extend the roof upwards. I think people are realizing that and I bet the RDX is having a hard time selling and selling way below expectations.

I don't know about all that. Acura sells, on average, 2500-3000 RDXs per month. If Infiniti can move that many EXs that can't be bad in any way.
Old 03-29-07, 12:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The front looks like a G35, but it looks good. The side with the wavy character line looks like a Hyundai styling cue, and the rear has a strong Tribeca presence.

It's RWD just like the FX, and it doesn't look that much smaller than the FX. I have my doubts as to whether Infiniti really needs a vehicle like this. I would argue they need a flagship full-size luxury sedan more than this thing.
Old 03-29-07, 01:30 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The front looks like a G35, but it looks good. The side with the wavy character line looks like a Hyundai styling cue, and the rear has a strong Tribeca presence.

It's RWD just like the FX, and it doesn't look that much smaller than the FX. I have my doubts as to whether Infiniti really needs a vehicle like this. I would argue they need a flagship full-size luxury sedan more than this thing.
I agree that they need a legitimate top-end sedan. In fact, one is on the way in the next year or two. But there's no way they will sell as many of those as they will of these. There is a market for this type of vehicle. I wouldn't at all be surpised if Lexus is considering one too.

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX Concept (EX35) @ NYIAS (Update - Interior Pics )