Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion tC, Celica GT-S or RSX Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07, 12:35 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scion tC, Celica GT-S or RSX Type-S?

My friend's 96 Camry died "prematurely" last weekend -- tranny died at 130K miles. The dealer quoted him $3,100 to fix, which is just a "forget-about-it" thing.

He's thinking about a used car under $16K. He was thinking about the Civic at first but he's tired of the look already. He wants something manual, and with some sort of "sporty elements" in it, so I told him to look at the Scion tC. We test drove a 2006 with 18K miles on it and the car is surprisingly peppy for a car at this price range. It's also very roomy in the back seat -- my friend is like 6'1" and I am 5'8", and there's plenty of leg room in the back when he's in the driver seat. The downside is that the car is noisy. It's not the type of noise you expect from a open-trunk coupe. There's squeaking here and there that can be quite irritating.

I also tell him to take a look at the RSX Type-S and the Celica GT-S. Of course the mileage will be higher -- about mid 50K to low 70K. I assume they still run fine given the Toyota/Yamaha and Acura reliabile reputation. My concern is those two engines are rev-happy and I am not sure if it's still consider a "good engine" at that kind of mileage. Non Type-S and GT are not considered.

Anybody know if there's any particular issue among these three cars? I tried to go to those car's forum but didn't find anything serious, plus we all know that people will magnify the issue even though it's tiny on those forums . Other vehicle suggestions are also welcome.
Old 03-29-07, 12:56 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
My friend's 96 Camry died "prematurely" last weekend -- tranny died at 130K miles. The dealer quoted him $3,100 to fix, which is just a "forget-about-it" thing.

F the dealer.. just a suggestion. Get a used tranny and have an independent mech put it in. Would cost under $1k total and that alone is less than the tax he would have to pay on a $16K used car

I also tell him to take a look at the RSX Type-S and the Celica GT-S. Of course the mileage will be higher -- about mid 50K to low 70K. I assume they still run fine given the Toyota/Yamaha and Acura reliabile reputation. My concern is those two engines are rev-happy and I am not sure if it's still consider a "good engine" at that kind of mileage. Non Type-S and GT are not considered.

A friend's ITR has 120K + miles and a good portion of it was TRACK MILES and still running strong. Its engine is much rev-happy than the RSX. So I can assume that an Acura/Honda engine is still considered a "good engine" with 50K-70K miles

Anybody know if there's any particular issue among these three cars? I tried to go to those car's forum but didn't find anything serious, plus we all know that people will magnify the issue even though it's tiny on those forums . Other vehicle suggestions are also welcome.

I can't comment on the TC and Celica, but the RSX-S has problem with their 6-sp tranny. Check CR if you don't believe the forums. My friend RSX-S has problem with his tranny. I think the problem was gear poping out

hope this helps........................
Old 03-29-07, 01:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I was going to say RSX-S but put a little more money and get new Civic Si.
Old 03-29-07, 01:24 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a corolla and save more gas...he'll appreciate more for the scare we mite get this summer
Old 03-29-07, 01:39 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I was going to say RSX-S but put a little more money and get new Civic Si.
He doesn't like the hatchback look of the last Civic Si and the current one is just out of budget ($21K north)
Old 03-29-07, 02:50 PM
xioix
Racer

if he is looking at the gts tell him to get an 00-01 cause the ones after that the revs were lowered and the car doesnt stay in lift, the gt and base rsx is just as quick as the tc, so don't automatically rule them out
Old 03-29-07, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38

The main issue with the 2000-2005 Celica, especially the VVT-i GTS version, is that the ultra-high, Honda-style RPM redline caused some young owners to push it too far and damage the engine. I personally have seen several damaged 1.8L VTEC Celica engines in the shop. Usually I get the same story from the mechanis/technician working on it......some young guy maxed it out too far while drag-racing.
Old 03-29-07, 04:00 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He needs to make friends with a mechanic, and suck up a $1k repair job.

If he just simply "wants a newer car" then I'd go with 1998+ Integra ITR. Great little car with excellent gas mileage, that can be mod'd to be quite the lil beast...
Old 03-29-07, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If your friend wants a stick (manual transmission) then go either with the RSX or an older Integra. No one in the industry makes a better, easier-to-shift FWD manual transmisson than Honda/Acura.
Old 03-29-07, 05:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold mine, and I loved it..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265600
Old 03-29-07, 06:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main issue with the 2000-2005 Celica, especially the VVT-i GTS version, is that the ultra-high, Honda-style RPM redline caused some young owners to push it too far and damage the engine. I personally have seen several damaged 1.8L VTEC Celica engines in the shop. Usually I get the same story from the mechanis/technician working on it......some young guy maxed it out too far while drag-racing.
My cousin had a stick shift 2000 Celica GT and needed a new engine after a year because of numerous issues. Even after the new engine he needed major work within another 6 months and that was not even the top hp model. I have heard of numerous issues with the engines on the 2000-2005 Celicas and I would avoid them. For your friends price range and something sporty I would say a used Scion TC, Integra, RSX, Prelude, older 3.0 CL coupe model,Accord coupe, or maybe a Miata if he does not need a alot of room
Old 03-29-07, 06:41 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Honda Fit

There is a sport version that comes w/ a manual @ a price <$20,000. Mileage is 33/38.
Old 03-30-07, 04:02 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

glad someone brought up the prelude. Those cars handle amazingly well! Good luck finding one in good shape though.

if your friend wants to spend a little more time and money he could search for on the the tC supercharged units.
Old 03-30-07, 07:00 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
glad someone brought up the prelude. Those cars handle amazingly well! Good luck finding one in good shape though.

if your friend wants to spend a little more time and money he could search for on the the tC supercharged units.
Yes, Prelude is good as long as it's not a Type SH, but we can't find one in our area that has decent mileage. They are all over 90K miles.
Old 03-30-07, 12:17 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2000 GT-S 6spd for about 2 yrs. I loved it, no complaints or problems really. I think that any car that gets thrashed on by someone will suck, so just check the car out beforehand.

Quick Reply: Scion tC, Celica GT-S or RSX Type-S?