Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi prices R8 at $109,000 ( plus RS8 Testing at Nurburgring )

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 12:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
So you agree with me that the MR Toyota Previa is more exotic than the Ferrari 599, Dodge Viper, and the upcoming LF-A right?

J/K...
Actually yes, They are more exotic like, but not exotic cars Just kidding.
Old 04-01-07, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,347 Likes on 1,538 Posts

For those saying it's too expensive, you might want to think about the NSX which was VERY expensive when launched but just about everyone gave Honda/Acura a lot of credit for coming out with such an amazing car. This R8 might even be cheaper when adjusted for inflation.

It looks smokin' hot, unlike anything else on the road, and has an awesome features line up. It's very customizable with factory options which is really smart on Audi's part, just like Porsche does, and which dealers love too, to jack up the price even further.

This car will sell based on looks and how it drives, both of which are off the hook.

Porsche certainly has major mojo but a 911 alongside the R8? Sorry, R8 wins hands down on looks (and I'm a Porsche fan!). You roll up in an R8 and you're gonna get the front valet spot. Roll up in a 911 at some places... mebbe.
Old 04-01-07, 07:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
For those saying it's too expensive, you might want to think about the NSX which was VERY expensive when launched but just about everyone gave Honda/Acura a lot of credit for coming out with such an amazing car. This R8 might even be cheaper when adjusted for inflation.
Aren't most cars today less expensive compared to previous models of the same class when adjusted for inflation ?

It looks smokin' hot, unlike anything else on the road, and has an awesome features line up. It's very customizable with factory options which is really smart on Audi's part, just like Porsche does, and which dealers love too, to jack up the price even further.

This car will sell based on looks and how it drives, both of which are off the hook.
Car looks very attractive overall, but I think it looks disproportional from the side view, I still won't mind having one though

Porsche certainly has major mojo but a 911 alongside the R8? Sorry, R8 wins hands down on looks (and I'm a Porsche fan!). You roll up in an R8 and you're gonna get the front valet spot. Roll up in a 911 at some places... mebbe.
There are too many 911's of different generations around & they all look too similar. The R8 looks better overall than a 911 & more importantly, it looks different, so it will be much more of a head turner. The 911 may still drive better for some, but R8 maybe a better combination of looks & performance, I hope it will be reasonably reliable One thing about the NSX is that it's reliable & a great track car, & it looks great.
Old 04-01-07, 08:16 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one am a diehard toyota fan, but I will seriously consider the R8, especially after shopping for a 911 or GT3 recently.

Audi R8 does get a lot of its styling cues from the Lambo segment of their auto conglomerate. (not to bad if you ask me)
Old 04-01-07, 08:56 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The R8 beats the 911 hands down in looks like everyone has said, but it also beats it in performance. And the fact that it used the famed 4.2 Audi V8 that is extremely proven and reliable and you have a car that can be driven every day of the week and be much less expensive to maintain than "exotics". And wait until the V10 R10 comes out.
Old 04-01-07, 08:56 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
cept the R8 aint no LF-A
What the he*l are you basing that off of? An unreleased car and a car that hasn't been delivered yet?
Old 04-01-07, 09:09 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
The R8 beats the 911 hands down in looks like everyone has said, but it also beats it in performance. And the fact that it used the famed 4.2 Audi V8 that is extremely proven and reliable and you have a car that can be driven every day of the week and be much less expensive to maintain than "exotics". And wait until the V10 R10 comes out.
Yezzir....Its the best of both worlds. An everyday exotic.
Old 04-01-07, 10:31 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I could be in the market for such a car. I don't race so it's not as if I'd use a Z06 or GT3 that much more. Yes I know there are faster/quicker cars around, and it's certainly not cheap. But thats an OK thing as well. You won't see ten thousand of them on the road. Yet they are not as exotic as a Ferrari or Lambo or even Aston so they may be easier to maintain and drive.

Somebody said that people with this kind of money to throw around don't have to shop around as they could buy several super nice cars. Thats certainly not the case with me. I could afford such a car, but it would be the biggest ticket item I'd buy in my life except for my house. I would want to touch all the bases and make sure this car was the one I want more than all others in this price range.

Also in this price range is used Ford GTs, F360s and used Gallardo not to mention the new GT3, GT3 RS, 911 turbo and Aston Vantage. And for less (much less) you have the M6 and Z06 and lesser 911s.

I'm not crazy about buying pre-owned, even tho a Ford GT or F360 would be spectacular cars. I think the R8 is a great in-between car (not as exotic as a Ferrari or Lambo but more exotic than the 911s except the GT3s).

As I've said, the R8 is quick for my type of driving. I like reading about cars that will go 0-60 in under 4 seconds there are a few out there. But I don't think I need all that. I'm more or less law abiding ( I'll do speed limit +30mph on any road) that's not requiring a car that will go 195 mph or 0-100 in 9 seconds.

The R8 has similar performance to a regular Corvette or 911S which is not too bad. Also it can be driven a lot as a DD which I would not so much want to do with a Viper or GT3 or F360 etc..

The rub would be (for me) $120K would put me into a GT-R or M3 with change on the side for an Elise or Boxster S (two-for the price of one).

Last edited by rai; 04-01-07 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 06:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely in the market for a car like the R8. Ever since I sold my NSX I been wanting another mid engine car to replace it, and now that the successor NSX is front engine cars like the Cayman, R8, and quite frankly even another used NSX seem to be the only game in town unless you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think it will do okay at that price level, but on a personal point I just wish it was cheaper as now at $120 it is way out of my range. Probably have to wait a few years for a used one
Old 04-02-07, 06:56 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm definitely in the market for a car like the R8. Ever since I sold my NSX I been wanting another mid engine car to replace it, and now that the successor NSX is front engine cars like the Cayman, R8, and quite frankly even another used NSX seem to be the only game in town unless you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think it will do okay at that price level, but on a personal point I just wish it was cheaper as now at $120 it is way out of my range. Probably have to wait a few years for a used one
Yeah this R8 might be my first Audi ever, in about 4 years.
Old 04-05-07, 07:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Audi RS 8 and RS 6 Testing at Nurburgring

Old 04-05-07, 08:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

SPY PHOTOS: Audi RS 8 and RS 6
Text by Hans G. Lehmann
Copyright Lehmann Photo syndication
April 4, 2007

RS 8
So, you think the R8 is all you need? Well think again, if you want to keep up with your neighbours Porsche Turbo you will need some more power. And for that case Audi is developing the R8 into a RS8. Let the R8 join the Carreras and Astons Vantage, but if you want to play with the big boys you will need something else.
The RS8 is your answer, the V10 comes from the Lamborghini Gallardo but probably detuned to 490-500 bhp but the speed and sound are there. The main visible difference to the R8 are the bigger air intakes on the sides and newly designed side skirts. Also the front brakes appear to be bigger. Looking at it, driving high-speed test at the Nürburgring it really shows how well balanced the RS8 is. Smoothe in and out through every curve, and very quick on the long straight. The RS8 is developed by Audi’s sport division, Quattro GmbH who also develop the RS6.

Will it beat the Porsche Turbo? Well it got the looks and it got the speed, so I guess we just have to wait for the first duell between those two.

RS 6
While Audi is developing some more RS models, the first out will be the RS6.
Entering the market as both sedan and wagon it will break the 500 bhp mark for a family model from Audi . The engine is the same V10 as in the S6, but with a little help from turbochargers this monster will deliver 550 bhp. Also notice the extreme big brake discs, something this RS6 will need due to the rumours that the RS models will not longer have the speed limit set at 250 km/h. As usual the RS versions have twin oval exhaust pipes compared to the four pipes on the S models.

The photos are showing the RS 8 and the RS 6,(checkered disguise) both currently testing at Nürburgring.
source : worldcarfans
Old 04-05-07, 08:04 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Awh man!! I was expecting to see an RS version of the A8. I should have known better.

They look kinda nice though.
Old 04-05-07, 08:45 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Ummm after looking at more pics of this car, I'll have to admit this car looks like $100K. And though this sticker puts me a few years away from being able to own it, I can't get mad at Audi charging this price. The looks alone command this price. I can't stop drooling.
Old 04-05-07, 08:46 AM
LexFather

R8 is fantastic. I love it. Its official

Quick Reply: Audi prices R8 at $109,000 ( plus RS8 Testing at Nurburgring )