Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 4WD Double-Cab Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 07:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
"half truths"? Are you referring to the GM dealer letter which claims the Tundra in the "see saw" commercial is towing only 5000lbs? It's already been proven the trailer being towed in the commercial is 10,000lbs, not 5000lbs.
No, it hasn't been 'proven'. You said that in another thread and if I recall correctly, I asked for a link. Maybe you provided it and I did not notice, or maybe I didn't even ask but just felt like asking, but just because you say something is true doesn't mean it is. You have a habit of saying whatever suits the purpose of worshiping toyota. I know I don't post here much but to be honest I've noticed if you have anything to say it's usually going to be in defense of Toyota, no matter how completely incorrect it is. Seriously - have you ever thought about taking a step back and trying to grasp a more honest perspective of the car market? It's really refreshing - I promise you... because, when you say things like this, it just makes me wonder:

C-channel is not inferior to fully boxed, because otherwise heavy duty trucks would not be using C-channel frames.
I don't think we even need to go into the number of things that many heavy duty trucks use that are behind the times - much like other expensive industrial equipment... they are slow to change. They stick with what works and only move when necessary. If GM, Dodge, and Ford heavy duty truck products are still using c-channel rail sections in their frames, they won't for much longer.

If there is no difference, as you surmise, then why would the trucks be making such an effort to move to fully boxed designs? Just because they want to spend extra money and add additional needless weight to the design of their truck? No. Think about it...
Old 04-01-07, 08:33 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think why the domestics went full boxed, ESPECIALLY Ford, is to have commonality and a almost car-like ride. Ford probably did this so Dana or Magna can manfacture the frame for an F150 and the frame for a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Town Car on the same line.
Old 04-02-07, 10:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
No, it hasn't been 'proven'. You said that in another thread and if I recall correctly, I asked for a link. Maybe you provided it and I did not notice, or maybe I didn't even ask but just felt like asking, but just because you say something is true doesn't mean it is. You have a habit of saying whatever suits the purpose of worshiping toyota. I know I don't post here much but to be honest I've noticed if you have anything to say it's usually going to be in defense of Toyota, no matter how completely incorrect it is. Seriously - have you ever thought about taking a step back and trying to grasp a more honest perspective of the car market? It's really refreshing - I promise you... because, when you say things like this, it just makes me wonder:

I don't think we even need to go into the number of things that many heavy duty trucks use that are behind the times - much like other expensive industrial equipment... they are slow to change. They stick with what works and only move when necessary. If GM, Dodge, and Ford heavy duty truck products are still using c-channel rail sections in their frames, they won't for much longer.

If there is no difference, as you surmise, then why would the trucks be making such an effort to move to fully boxed designs? Just because they want to spend extra money and add additional needless weight to the design of their truck? No. Think about it...
I would appreciate it if you checked your facts first, rather than make accusations. Everything that I post I try to make it factual, and everything that I talk about I tend to have done some research or have some knowledge in. Do you do the same with your posts? Many people love to criticize Toyota and make wild accusations just because they are in disbelief or stubbornly refuse to acknowledge how successful Toyota really is.

This has been discussed ad naseum, but the Toyota commercial contains the words "actual demonstration" in them. That means if Toyota is lying in the commercial, they are liable for a slew of lawsuits and damaging press attention. Toyota is not stupid. They would never put "actual demonstration" in the commercial unless the commercial was accurate and factual.

Here is the link I had posted in another thread:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...703170369/1148

Let me quote the important part:

Originally Posted by The Detroit News
Toyota is taking the heat in stride. Spokesman Chad Harp pointed out that the company's boasts in the commercial, including the Tundra pulling a 10,000-pound trailer, are backed by scientific testing. The GM e-mail said the trailer was only 5,000 pounds.
If you would rather throw logic out the window, and take the GM dealer letter as truth over Toyota's own commercial, so be it. But make sure you know all the facts first.

The Toyota rep basically confirms the trailer is 10,000lbs in the commercial. The commercial itself should come as no surprise, because the Tundra with the 5.7L engine is officially rated to tow over 10,000lbs.

Regarding the trailer brake issue, it's not important, even if there are trailer brakes on that particular trailer. The commercial makes no mention of trailer brakes, but what you see is what you get. Even if you saw trailer brakes in the commercial, and they helped stop the load, that doesn't change the fact it was a 10,000 pound load to begin with.

And you seem to be contradicting yourself. If heavy duty trucks stick with what works, and only change when necessary, why change to fully boxed, like you say? You're implying that a lot of heavy duty trucks will move to fully boxed frames, but the fact is that's not going to happen. C-channel works well, and there is no reason to move to fully boxed. So if it works so well in heavy duty trucks, why should Toyota be criticized for using it? GM's GMT-800 frame was not fully boxed, yet I haven't heard any criticism about that frame.

Toyota uses a fully boxed frame in the Land Cruiser. Toyota decided not to fully box the entire Tundra frame (just the front) for similar reasons that heavy duty trucks use C-channel frames.

But I won't argue this any further with you.

You seem to know more than the engineers at Toyota, and more about trucks than truck makers themselves .

By the way, in case you didn't know, Toyota gave the engineering team in charge of the new Tundra a big budget to work with, so when designing the frame, money wasn't an issue.
Old 04-02-07, 10:13 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I think why the domestics went full boxed, ESPECIALLY Ford, is to have commonality and a almost car-like ride. Ford probably did this so Dana or Magna can manfacture the frame for an F150 and the frame for a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Town Car on the same line.
Dana also manufactures the frame for the new Tundra.
Old 04-02-07, 10:55 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Dana also manufactures the frame for the new Tundra.
And for the Tacoma too, the Dana plant in Stockton is 90 minutes from me...