Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK Preview:

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-07 | 05:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default 2009 Mercedes Benz CLK Preview:

Wednesday 28 March 2007

Mercedes Benz has lost ground in the premium coupe segment against its main rival BMW and its more recent E92 3-series coupe, so it comes as little surprise that engineers are rushing to sign-off on the final design for the all-new 2009 CLK. Just last month, a near production ready CLK test mule was spotted undergoing cold-weather testing in Sweden and this latest rendering gives us a clue as to what the final car will look like.

Designers have followed the style set by the larger S-Class sedan with the new CLK picking up a high waistline wedged profile and a chiseled front end with angular headlights. The new lights are a departure to the current model’s conjoined circular units, featuring a squared look that’s rumored to star on the next-generation E-Class sedan as well.

Powertrains will be similar to the C-Class sedan including the new 272hp 3.5L V6 engine as well as Mercedes’ 5.5L V8 for the CLK500 flagship. An even more powerful AMG version is guaranteed; sporting the 503hp hand built 6.2L V8 engine. The CLK will be offered with optional 4Matic AWD and could possibly come with a new mild-hybrid option.

To capture ground lost to its rivals, Mercedes will beef up the CLK range with the latest technology shared with the more expensive S-Class. The new coupe is likely to pick up Mercedes’ Presafe brake assist, night vision, the latest COMAND system and possibly even an active suspension system. The CLK is expected to be revealed at next year’s Geneva Motor Show, with the first sales likely to start towards the end of 2008.
source : motorauthority
Old 03-29-07 | 06:18 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

cant say im disapointed.. the front is a 3GS with AMG body kit...very ncie i must say! looks like this may be a very handsome looking car...

Wonder what interiro will look like. if its like the new C...
which it probably will be
Old 03-29-07 | 06:23 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Yeah, looks a lot like a GS coupe w/ a nice grill. I really like it
Old 03-29-07 | 06:26 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

If it does look like that, ,i would be happy.. I HATE the current CLK.. the last one was the *****.
Old 03-29-07 | 06:39 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J_RoK
If it does look like that, ,i would be happy.. I HATE the current CLK.. the last one was the *****.

I agree, the last one was understated, classy, and very good looking. The new one is just feminine. I would never buy a CLK anyway so I guess it doesn't matter what I think, there are too many other cars in that price range that actually perform
Old 03-29-07 | 07:04 PM
kit cat

headlights look like a MarkII Blit...
Old 03-29-07 | 07:19 PM
LexFather

Well some of it is price. Benz insists on keeping the CLK C-class based but giving it an E-class face with E-class prices. The CLK starts at 45k, much higher than a 3 series coupe.

I also agree, the first gen is CLASSIC, still looks great. THe new one does look feminine and rather staid.

The CLK-GTR= DROOOOOOOOOOOL
Old 03-29-07 | 07:49 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well some of it is price. Benz insists on keeping the CLK C-class based but giving it an E-class face with E-class prices. The CLK starts at 45k, much higher than a 3 series coupe.

I also agree, the first gen is CLASSIC, still looks great. THe new one does look feminine and rather staid.

The CLK-GTR= DROOOOOOOOOOOL
Schulte is the worst p-shopper in the world. Look at that miserable excuse for a CGI. Blech.

I've never understood how the CLK was C-class based. I thought coupes were supposed to be shorter than the sedans on which they were based? And how is it that it has the look/price of an E-class coupe? Weren't the CLKs supposed to be an extension of the E-class coupes, like the 300CE?
Old 03-29-07 | 08:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by Incendiary

I've never understood how the CLK was C-class based. I thought coupes were supposed to be shorter than the sedans on which they were based? And how is it that it has the look/price of an E-class coupe? Weren't the CLKs supposed to be an extension of the E-class coupes, like the 300CE?
Cost is more than likely the reason. A coupe based off of the E-class would be expensive (just like the original E-class coupe was).

A base E350 already starts over 50K. A coupe version on a E-class would probably start at 55-60K. Considering that the CLK is based on the C-class, they were able to keep price down to around 45K which is cheaper than the E-class.

But the CLK does share a lot of parts with the E-class as well (I'm assuming suspension parts and the like maybe?? A nice combination of parts from the C-class and parts from the E-class = CLK )

The current E-class coupe is called the CLS. lol

As for the picture above. It looks cool. And I actually prefer the curvy look of the 2nd gen CLK to the 1st gen. The pillarless windows own me!!

Last edited by GFerg; 03-29-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-29-07 | 09:40 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Cost is more than likely the reason. A coupe based off of the E-class would be expensive (just like the original E-class coupe was).

A base E350 already starts over 50K. A coupe version on a E-class would probably start at 55-60K. Considering that the CLK is based on the C-class, they were able to keep price down to around 45K which is cheaper than the E-class.

But the CLK does share a lot of parts with the E-class as well (I'm assuming suspension parts and the like maybe?? A nice combination of parts from the C-class and parts from the E-class = CLK )

The current E-class coupe is called the CLS. lol

As for the picture above. It looks cool. And I actually prefer the curvy look of the 2nd gen CLK to the 1st gen. The pillarless windows own me!!
Great points This CLK got my attention just like the original W208's did!
Old 03-30-07 | 10:49 AM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

CLK-DTM and CLK-GTR = drool