Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying 2004 LS430 or 2006 GS430??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 11:00 AM
lxs333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2004 LS430 or 2006 GS430??

I'm currently driving a compact sedan and looking forward to buy a used Lexus sedan because my first baby is on the way. I have tested both recently from different parties (private, dealer) and love these 2 cars very much in terms of comfort and quality. Some people told me to go for the GS because it's the latest design but others recommend me for the LS430 simply it's the Lexus flagship sedan. No matter which car I choose at the end, it will be equipped with both GPS and 18"rims, that's all I prefer. I hope anyone here can share your experience, recommendations, Pro&Con, for these 2 great cars. Any comments and feedback are very much appreciated. Tks.
Old 03-30-07, 11:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ls430 over GS anyday!!!
Old 03-30-07, 12:10 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Well what did you think about the way they drove compared to each other?

The LS will probably have fewer build quality issues and better overall reliability, though probably not a huge difference. I'd guess that the LS is quieter even though it's a generation older than the GS. The LS has all of the kinks worked out of it and the GS is a very kink-prone new release. The new GS, to me, looks far more modern, and will be more fun to drive, but also not as comfortable.

I think if it were me I'd probably go with the GS, but I'm only 25, and have no kids. If it was a kid hauler and thus comfort and reliability were more significant factors to me than style and fun, I'd go with the tried and true LS.
Old 03-30-07, 01:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not get a GS350, save yourself some $$, and enjoy the extra power?
Old 03-30-07, 01:18 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Why not get a GS350, save yourself some $$, and enjoy the extra power?
Great point. What is your budget?
Old 03-30-07, 01:27 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parents were in the same exact situation this last week. They were very interested in a 04 LS430 without Navi from the dealer for about $40,300 with 20k miles. I convinced them to get the GS350. I personally felt the Gs350 was the better car for them. Brand new car, smaller (easier to drive, real important as far as my mom is concerned hehe ), backup camera, more hp, comfort access, and Navi. I also felt that the '04 LS430 was an older body style that while classy is a bit dated. I really preferred the looks of the newer LS, it looks less of an "old man's car." Paid about 5gs more but they were happy with their decision.

On a side note, my family:
Dad - Lexus LX460 (140k miles, still ticking, no major problems)
Mom- Lexus GS350, E320 (A/C problems @ 94k miles)
Sister - BMW 335i Sedan
Brother in law - BMW X3
Me: BMW 335i Coupe (came from a long line of Hondas, last being the S2000)
GF: '07 Lexus Is250

Seems like we are either Lexus or BMW. heh. I love both cars but prefer the BMW for myself. Have you considered a non-Lexus?
Old 03-30-07, 03:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 94 LS400 is 400000x better than my 01 GS430, and IMO the 3rd gen GS is a step down from 2nd gen. So, LS430 without a doubt.
Old 03-30-07, 03:07 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Och, could you explain further why your LS is better? And why you think the 3rd gen is worse than the 2nd? I don't have too much experience on the 2nd, but asthetically, the 3rd gen is so much nicer IMO.

I do think the ride quality is better in the LS though.
Old 03-30-07, 03:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OC 335i
My parents were in the same exact situation this last week. They were very interested in a 04 LS430 without Navi from the dealer for about $40,300 with 20k miles. I convinced them to get the GS350. I personally felt the Gs350 was the better car for them. Brand new car, smaller (easier to drive, real important as far as my mom is concerned hehe ), backup camera, more hp, comfort access, and Navi. I also felt that the '04 LS430 was an older body style that while classy is a bit dated. I really preferred the looks of the newer LS, it looks less of an "old man's car." Paid about 5gs more but they were happy with their decision.

On a side note, my family:
Dad - Lexus LX460 (140k miles, still ticking, no major problems)
Mom- Lexus GS350, E320 (A/C problems @ 94k miles)
Sister - BMW 335i Sedan
Brother in law - BMW X3
Me: BMW 335i Coupe (came from a long line of Hondas, last being the S2000)
GF: '07 Lexus Is250

Seems like we are either Lexus or BMW. heh. I love both cars but prefer the BMW for myself. Have you considered a non-Lexus?
Great logic and advice.

Old 03-30-07, 05:44 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I keep thinking about getting me a used LS430 since it rides like a dream,
but the fact that the LS460 is so good and the future Lexus cars sound
so promising I am holding off for now.

Between the LS430 and GS350 I'd rather get the newer car, but
I have to say there are days when the low profile tires get old and
I wish I had the 15'' wheel option
Old 03-30-07, 06:02 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also like the GS350 idea best. I know the 3rd gen has some quality issues that the 2nd gen did not have but the major parts i.e. engine/ trans. are good. The problems w/ the 3rd gen GS wouldnt deter me personally. I may get one soon.. or an LS460.
Old 03-30-07, 07:18 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

As far as the GS350 problems, what are they? I've read about rattling but my initial readings show they were more of a problem with first year users. Generally, problems like this can be fixed in the first few production runs, have they been fixed with the GS350? (Similar to the 335i and fuel pumps, BMW addressed it quickly).
Old 03-30-07, 07:20 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

^^^
Rattle, rattle, rattle...

Especially when it's cold. Some 2nd year models may have the
issue also.

Edit : More specifically dash rattles, but also some have had doors
or problems with the sunroof.
Old 03-30-07, 07:22 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Cold? I think it hit high 30s here once this year.
Old 03-30-07, 07:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Och, could you explain further why your LS is better? And why you think the 3rd gen is worse than the 2nd? I don't have too much experience on the 2nd, but asthetically, the 3rd gen is so much nicer IMO.

I do think the ride quality is better in the LS though.
Well, I happen to like the Lexus lineup before it got L-finessed, and I like the unique looks of each model, except of course the ES, which I don't even consider to be a real Lexus. But the new L-finessed lineup is rather bland in my opinion.

And while the driving dynamics of the 2nd gen GS an 3rd gen GS are pretty much the same, the interior of the new GS took a dive. My 2nd gen has these gorgeous leather door inserts, and the leather seats in the 2nd gen are cushier, with this "wrinkled" leather as opposed the new GS flat leather that looks cheap. Then in the new GS the dashboard is flimzy and the plastics are rather cheap looking. Not that 2nd gen was perfect, it did have some flimzy assembly, particularly B-pillars and door armrests, but the dash is rock solid. But the 3rd gen GS interior isn't even on par with Acura TL, IMO.

But then you also have the handling and driving dynamics, and these features in the 2nd gen GS are the worst out of any passenger car I've ever driven, even worse than many SUVs. The steering is horrible, it is so artificial and provides no feedback whatsoever. I've written many times how much I hate the driving dynamics of the GS, you can read these posts. I am actually now selling the GS because I'm totally fed up with it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=30

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269600

On top of that you have VSC that almost got me killed a few times. Read post #1, and 32.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=stupid+vsc

See my old first gen GS300 and my 94 LS400 may have more body roll than the 2nd gen GS, and have softer steering, but both of these cars provide plenty of feedback, and have very predictable handling. I could drive both of these cars at 90mph, layed back, weaving between traffic with one hand on the steering wheel, sipping coffee or better yet shaving with the other hand. Heck, even with my old modified Civic I could do that, with the exception that the tiny engine at 90mph was revving like it was about to explode. But I cant do that with the new GS. I simply don't feel confidernt driving that car, I dont gen any feedback from the steering, so I don't know whether I'm going to lose control or not, and the retarded VSC system is rather scary. The only thing the car is good for is straight line - it's got plenty of torque and thanks God the brakes are pretty damn good.

Quick Reply: Buying 2004 LS430 or 2006 GS430??