Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercury Ins. jerking me around (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 11:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Unhappy Mercury Ins. jerking me around (rant)

I dunno how claims usually work with other ins companies...when I have issues and made claims with AAA, it's taken care of efficiently and quickly.

With my bumper incident, it took over a week before I heard anything from the other party's ins. When I did, I made my arrangements to drop the car off and that is where it's been a PITA.

I told them around 9'ish the car would be at the the shop. Well, it involves other people to arrange a ride back, so by the time I got there, I pulled into the shop about 10 minutes after 9. My shop contact said the adjuster barley waitied if he could even call it 5 minutes before leaving. I missed her by 2 minutes he relayed. She didn't leave a number to reach her and all I got from the office adjuster was voice mail.

Left 2 messages yesterday that the car is at the shop waiting for them to inspect it. Today I get back and the field adjuster left some smart *** message, "blah-blah I'm so-n-so, I'm here and you're not...you are going to have to call to arrange another appointment." WTF...I left messages yesterday that the car has been dropped off already. She could have gone by the shop today.

The rental car they arranged is supposed to be comparable to my LS400. Don't think so, while the Kia Sportage is fine for an entry level SUV, it isn't "comparable" to an LS400. Nor for that matter any car this agency had on the lot. The Camry I made a request for was vapor.

Now I have 2 delayed days. I called and told them..."you're paying for the rental...that's fine...your $$. However, I don't find this car comparable and I would like to get mine back ASAP."

Do these people even communicate with each other? Seems that the field adjusters and officer adjusters have no idea what is going on within the company.

The body shop guys just shake their head. While the car will be fixed, the inconvenience and stress of this ordeal, these people need a good
Old 03-31-07, 02:15 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing good being in a No Fault state like where I'm from is you never have to deal with the other persons insurance yourself. You deal with your own insurance and adjusters no matter who is at fault. You do; however, have to pay your deductible yourself upfront, but your insurance works with the other insurance company to get your decductible reimbursed by the other insurance company. It does take a little time for your deductible to be returned to your, but at least you avoid all the headaches of dealing with another insurnace company that is looking out for their own members and could care less about you.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-31-07 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 04:01 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance companies are evil
Old 03-31-07, 05:17 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Sorry, I'm going to be rather blunt here...

1) Adjusters have other appointments to keep, and if you're not on time, and you don't call and let them know that you're going to be late, then there's not much they can do. You said "Do these people even communicate with each other?", yet you failed to communicate with them, and kept the adjuster waiting. Pot, meet kettle.
2) The Kia Sportage should be more than adequate for your daily commutes while your car is being fixed. Demanding something "LS400-like" is being rather pretentious, don't you think? Unless it states in your policy that a rental car will be equal in value and status to your current vehicle (and your insurance rates are raised to match), just be a man, suck it up, put your tail between your legs, and move on.
Old 03-31-07, 06:57 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
Sorry, I'm going to be rather blunt here...
2) The Kia Sportage should be more than adequate for your daily commutes while your car is being fixed. Demanding something "LS400-like" is being rather pretentious, don't you think? Unless it states in your policy that a rental car will be equal in value and status to your current vehicle (and your insurance rates are raised to match), just be a man, suck it up, put your tail between your legs, and move on.
Why the f$#k should he be forced to drive a Kia Sportage when somebody else ran into him and caused his car to be damaged? He should not only be provided a car comparable to his own, he should be reimbursed for the time and hassle of having to even drive a rental car in the first place.
Old 03-31-07, 07:14 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Why the f$#k should he be forced to drive a Kia Sportage when somebody else ran into him and caused his car to be damaged? He should not only be provided a car comparable to his own, he should be reimbursed for the time and hassle of having to even drive a rental car in the first place.
Things happen. We take the risk of being in an accident everytime we get behind the wheel. And there's nothing in our insurance binders that say we "deserve" to drive a rental (should the need ever arise) that's comparable to what our primary car is. That's downright pretentious, my friend.

If it's that a big a deal, then there's nobody stopping you from cancelling the rental portion of your insurance policy, and securing your own rental as needed.
Old 03-31-07, 08:16 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
Things happen. We take the risk of being in an accident everytime we get behind the wheel. And there's nothing in our insurance binders that say we "deserve" to drive a rental (should the need ever arise) that's comparable to what our primary car is. That's downright pretentious, my friend.

If it's that a big a deal, then there's nobody stopping you from cancelling the rental portion of your insurance policy, and securing your own rental as needed.
The point is, nobody should be allowed to greatly inconvenience you by hitting your car, and then not be expected to compensate you after. If the accident was his fault, I totally agree that he can pay for a rental. If the accident is the other party's fault, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be paying for you to drive a car equal or better to your own
Old 03-31-07, 09:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

When you have a problem with your vehicle, your insurance is suppose to be on your side
They're very quick to take your money, but takes forever to pay out.
I'm sure there's always a bad apple in the bunch, but I have never heard of good things from people I know who have mercury. One of the reasons why they're cheap, goes with the service. I tell all the people I know to stay away from that company and a couple of others.

When you're done fixing your car, you should get a survery from the California insurance commission asking how was the service...you can complain there.
If you don't, then you can complain to the insurance commission-better yet, tell your agent that your're not happy with mercury's dis-service.

I have AAA and they're awesome.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-31-07 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 09:25 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The point is, nobody should be allowed to greatly inconvenience you by hitting your car, and then not be expected to compensate you after.
He is/was compensated. He's getting the car repaired, and is driving a rental in the meantime.

Things happen. You have to be a man about it, and move on. Part of your responsibility of driving, is accepting the fact that accidents happen. And next time, it might very well be your fault, whether you intended it or not.

If the accident is the other party's fault, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be paying for you to drive a car equal or better to your own
Yes, there is a reason. The reason is the fact that the additional premium that he paid to have access to a rental car in instances like this, was enough to cover something reasonable. Not something extravagant. If you want to work out some deal with your insurance company, and pay higher premiums, just so you wouldn't have to be seen in a car that a lesser person might own (whatever...), then have at it.
Old 03-31-07, 09:38 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rental car they arranged is supposed to be comparable to my LS400. Don't think so, while the Kia Sportage is fine for an entry level SUV, it isn't "comparable" to an LS400. Nor for that matter any car this agency had on the lot. The Camry I made a request for was vapor.
about 2 years ago some guy rear ended my in my lexus and he has mercury insurance, my car was in the shop for about week and a half Mercury insurance authroize a car that's compatible to a Lexus so they said they will pay about $68 a day. In that price range my choice were Mercedes C230, Caddlic DTS, Suburban, 300c.. I eneded up driving a brand new DTS for about 10 days. I don't know about your situation but you can definity get insurance to pay for a rental compatible to the car you were driving... you just need to ASK...
Old 03-31-07, 09:47 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh i forgot if insurance pay $68 a day and with insurance rate at rental place like enterprise they will give you something equal to $110 a day for regular rental.. that mean if Suburban normally cost $110 a day at enterprise they give it to for like $68 a day because it was cover by insurance....
Old 03-31-07, 09:52 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I can see that there is a schedule to keep WRT appointments. This isn't a rocket launch or missile strike where down to that level of criticalness is necessary. I have client appointments too and the realization that things occur I allow them the courtesy of a reasonable amount of wait time. This field adjuster left no contact info, and much to the shop owners urges to wait a bit, she left. She refused to leave a contact number for a call back.

With two people in the main office informed about the car, it still could have been scheduled the next day. They are covering the rental...so for those lets round it to 5 minutes of time, the estimated rental time has increased by 4-5 days now that we are at a weekend. Pretty inefficient use of company resources due to the impatient nature of this field adjuster. Had timing worked, she'd certainly been there longer than 5 minutes to discusses and write the paperwork.

Bottom line to me: she got to possibly go home 30 minutes earlier that day at the expense of her employer. My car delayed ~5 days and the body shop storage at ~5 days.

I can live with the rental and the Kia isn't that bad. Paying for more isn't my responsibility as much as a nicer car would be preferred. There already exists enough inconvenience, it should not start drawing funds out of my pocket for an incident not of my direct doing.

The selfish nature domino's to all those involved. If this individual were running her business like this, it would be an unnecessary use of resources. Certainly timing is important, evaluate the cost for not allowing a handful more of minutes in patience.

IMO.

Last edited by RA40; 03-31-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 10:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Time to switch insurance company if you're not satisfied with Mercury.
Old 03-31-07, 10:14 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
He has AAA, not Mercury. The other party has Mercury.
Old 03-31-07, 10:18 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If I'm reading his posts correctly Mercury is NOT his insurance carrier but the other parties insurance carrier. I guess in states that are not No fault, you deal with the other parties insurance if it is their fault and their adjuster comes out to look at your car. In No Fault states you deal with your own insurance all the time and your insurance company gets the money from the other, but they do all the work for you so you don't have to deal with this sort of thing.

Quick Reply: Mercury Ins. jerking me around (rant)