Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2007 BMW X5 4.8L

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
mmarshall, I think it is time you start taking a digital camera along with your test drives an include pictures in your reviews. Your reviews are magazine like, but sometimes it does feel like a lot of reading, but I bet that is because there are no pictures like in a magazine. Good job on the review.
Thanks, but my picture-scanning and computer skills lag far behind my review skills. I'd rather not get involved in things where I don't know what I'm doing....or don't have the equipment for it.

That's one reason why I include the factory web sites with my reviews....they have a lot of nice pictures, including 360 degree exterior and interior shots.
Old 04-02-07, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
Nice review MMarshall

Of note, I believe the auto door locks can be turned off with your friendly I-Drive
Perhaps, then, I'll take the door locks as the lesser of two evils.
Old 04-02-07, 09:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmarshal, if you get a change, can you review the new MDX and Audi Q7?
Old 04-02-07, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Mmarshal, if you get a change, can you review the new MDX and Audi Q7?
OK....It will be a couple of weeks yet. Next week will be busy for me. I reviewed the outgoing 2006 MDX last September and have the 2007 MDX on my list. I'll add the Q7 for a future date.
PM me if you want any specific engine-transmission-drivetrain combo or trim level reviewed.
Old 04-02-07, 10:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The MDX would be a great review. Supposedly in the recent Car and Driver magazine, the MDX's steering and braking were equal to the BMW. Who knows though..
Old 04-02-07, 10:44 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you review one of the new GM SUVs (Outlook/Acadia)?
Old 04-02-07, 10:47 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow GFerg's MDX Review

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=acura+mdx
Old 04-02-07, 10:57 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

X5, best looking and best performing SAV/SUV on the road. period.
Old 04-02-07, 11:56 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
X5, best looking and best performing SAV/SUV on the road. period.
Porsche cayenne turbo S? not the best looking but X5 can't touch this car in terms of performance.
Old 04-02-07, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Porsche cayenne turbo S? not the best looking but X5 can't touch this car in terms of performance.
Correct.....but the Cayenne Turbo is a $100,000 machine, not a $60,000 one. It is even more outlandishly priced. And the Cayenne, despite the car-based unibody frame, according to auto mags, does better than the X5 off-road, though I have not taken either vehicle off-road myself to verify it....there are no significant places in my area to do it.
Old 04-02-07, 04:34 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I will take the BMW (V8) over a turbo'd one any day. Plus I am not crazy about Porsche taking a Volkswagen and turbo charging it than slapping a Porsche badge on it.

The X5 will soon be getting the 335 turbo, and with the V8 there is more than ample power. I can't see paying the price of a 911 for a Cayenne.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 04-02-07 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 04:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice write up Marshall I am sure you wanted to take that x5 for another spin...drives better than many cars..I am starting to see the new X5's pop up like weeds in NYC.. They are all over..
Old 04-02-07, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I will take the BMW (V8) over a turbo'd one any day. Plus I am not crazy about Porsche taking a Volkswagen and turbo charging it than slapping a Porsche badge on it.

The X5 will soon be getting the 335 turbo, and with the V8 there is more than ample power. I can't see paying the price of a 911 for a Cayenne.
Despite the common platform, there are significant differences between a VW Touraeg and a Cayenne. You certainly cannot call the Cayenne a rebadged VW. While both, unlike the average car-based SUV, are good off-road, the Touraeg was developed more as a Land-Rover style off-roader, while the Cayenne is more of a 4-door Porsche sports car up on stilts.

The X5's 4.8L V8, IMO, provides ample power NOW....without a turbo. And it is thirsty enough as it is now, with 14/18 EPA mileage ratings. A turbo, yes, would give it even more spunk, and bring it up closer to the Cayenne Turbo's performance....but possibly at the cost of worsening already quite poor gas mileage.

If, as you suggest, the X5 gets a six-cylinder turbo, then right offhand, I don't see much difference between that and its present V8, but I'll reserve judgement until the numbers come out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Nice write up Marshall I am sure you wanted to take that x5 for another spin...drives better than many cars..I am starting to see the new X5's pop up like weeds in NYC.. They are all over..
Yes, they are quite popular here, too in the D.C. area. A lot of people both here in in NYC have the money for them. They combine BMW steering and chassis dynamics....some of the world's best....with winter AWD traction.

You are correct that I look forward to BMW test-drives, simply for the great steering and road feel alone. But they are not my favorite vehicles overall. I place a great emphasis on value (most of the people I shop with are not millionaires, even in this high-income region), and many BMW's, especially the upper-level ones, IMO, are overpriced. I have also never been a fan of I-Drive and some of the other designs from Chris Bangle. Some other vehicles, while not being as slick or as satisfying to drive as BMW's, IMO offer as much or more for less money. I could give you a long list, but Lexus, alone, has several examples.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-07 at 06:09 PM.