Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

21 For a Loaner?? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 03:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
I went to the dealership today to get the car serviced for its 5,000 mile check-up and told them I would need a loaner. I get there and about 15 minutes into the appointment he asks for my license and insurance. He then goes Oooaahh... I was like crap what now. You have to be 21 to get a Loaner... sorry...

WTF!! If you can buy a car at 16 why the hell cant you get a frikin loaner??!! It really pissed me off! Just venting I guess... but I mean im 18 it at least be 18?? Come on!! Anyways... just wanted to share incase there are any other under 21's out there thinking they'll be getting a loaner when they go in for service....
Dude, your 18 and you have a 2007 IS?!?!?! Trust me, you have nothing in this world to complain about. Wow, a high school senior (or just out) and you make like 50-75K a year (income level for this type of purchase)?? Sweet.

And yeah, it's usually 25 years old (somtimes 21) to rent or get a loaner.
Old 04-03-07, 04:32 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Surprised it is only 21, most rental contracts require you to be 25.
Old 04-03-07, 04:59 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

its 21 at infiniti as well
Old 04-03-07, 06:32 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was 18 when i got a loaner for my 5000 mile service, now im 19, and i got one for the 10000, and will get one for the 15000 too unless its in the summer, then ill probably just wait it out, because the waiting area is pretty nice in Lexus of Rockville Center in Long Island. So basically, i guess it depends on the dealership if they enforce that rule, because it is a lexus rule.
Old 04-03-07, 08:37 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Haha!! I find it funny how someone went off on the fact that he thinks im not greatful for what I have! Thats great, I mean I know I'll never know whats its like to pay for it but it is under my name because the money I have worked for and made in my life did go towards my car. But, I take care of my car and do what my parents expect me to do so they payed what I couldent which was quite a bit obviously, I mean no kid my age can make that kind of money obviously, but I use all the money Ive saved for my entire life on the car which makes me appreciate it as much as I can...
The only thing I was upset about was that I wasent told in advance I could not get a loaner! I had to drive 40 minutes there and then find out I couldent get a loaner so that means I had to drive 40 minutes back because I had a appointment within that hour that I had to be at which frustrated the hell outta me. I understand they dont want kids driving expensive cars but honestly, if their parents paid for them in the first place im sure they could afford any damages they created not to mention my insurance covers rented cars anyways.... Im rambling on but I just thought it was amusing that people somehow got to the point of saying I dont appreciate what I have which is annoying to hear over and over because im only 18... honestly though, If I dident car about my car I wouldent be on these forums all the time not to mention purchase the sweetest car ever!!
Old 04-03-07, 08:41 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
actually when u are 16, you cannot commit into a legal binding agreement. Don;t know how you got your car loans and such.. but aye. break the agreement.. don;t pay.. they can;t do **** to you.
Unless he paid cash There are a lot of rich people like that. I for one could barely afford to super size my McDonalds meal at 16
Old 04-03-07, 08:56 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im rambling on but I just thought it was amusing that people somehow got to the point of saying I dont appreciate what I have which is annoying to hear over and over because im only 18... honestly though, If I dident car about my car I wouldent be on these forums all the time not to mention purchase the sweetest car ever!!
again, welcome to life kid.
I grew up in the wealthier cities and you'll just have to get used to all those comments, especially in college or the real life. If its annoying, don't argue back. The fact is that you're only 18 and have an IS350. MOST people don't have that privilege. Hell, I'm 24 and still cant afford an IS350 myself b/c I'm debt with school.

now back on topic, you're 18. Take a step back and think about liability issues. The dealership is not going to care who bought the car and what kind of money they have because in the end IF something were to happen, you're parents will have to pay (which seems like no big deal to you..."if their parents paid for them in the first place im sure they could afford any damages they created"), but furthermore, the dealership has to go through all those legal documents and whatnot and it is very time consuming; something they did not have to do in the first place. And you cant buy time. So why risk lending a nice car to a 18 year old?

Just have you're parents/sibliings/friends drive you around for the days its in the shop. You'll live w/o a car for a few days.
Old 04-03-07, 08:58 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Unless he paid cash There are a lot of rich people like that. I for one could barely afford to super size my McDonalds meal at 16
thats what 29cent cheeseburger wednesday was for (is that thing still around?). a super size mickey Ds was like a once a 6weeks thing in high school
Old 04-03-07, 09:37 PM
DKB
Rookie

Why not have your dad go drop it off and get the loaner??
Old 04-04-07, 12:00 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

up to the dealer.
Old 04-04-07, 12:38 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

Think of it this way, would YOU trust a 19 year old with a car thats worth more than 40K to do a job that costs less than 1k?

I'm 19 and I wouldnt trust anyone under 25 to borrow my car.
Old 04-04-07, 12:54 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
no amount of money can ever buy you an identity.
Old 04-04-07, 01:53 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When it comes to needing a loan car for a few hours, as long as it has 4 wheels and gets me from A to B I don't care what it is. Now if I needed one overnight or longer that would be different.
Old 04-04-07, 04:15 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Oh.. 21 for you?

It was 25 for me. However if you plead your case they MIGHT let you drive off in a loaner. I'm 23, well 24 today and its known that if I want a loaner they'll give me one.. simply because when I purchased the car that was really one of the selling highlights.

"If you service is longer than an hour and you make a request ahead of time a Lexus loaner will be provided for you. This is a service that we happily provide our customers."

Or some BS such as that. Needless to say I threw up the fact that I'm old enough to buy a 40k car but not old enough to drive a 35k loaner? Gimme a break!
Old 04-04-07, 05:21 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I went to the dealership today to get the car serviced for its 5,000 mile check-up and told them I would need a loaner. I get there and about 15 minutes into the appointment he asks for my license and insurance. He then goes Oooaahh... I was like crap what now. You have to be 21 to get a Loaner... sorry...

WTF!! If you can buy a car at 16 why the hell cant you get a frikin loaner??!! It really pissed me off! Just venting I guess... but I mean im 18 it at least be 18?? Come on!! Anyways... just wanted to share incase there are any other under 21's out there thinking they'll be getting a loaner when they go in for service....
I'd never loan one of my cars to someone under 21. Or even someone under 25. No offense, but your irate response in the second paragraph wraps everything up pretty well. I was that age once too, so I know where you're coming from. But looking back, I completely understand why things are the way they are.

Quick Reply: 21 For a Loaner?? WTF!