Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

21 For a Loaner?? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 06:14 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DKB
Why not have your dad go drop it off and get the loaner??
Smartest thing anybody has said in here. Drive the parent's car and they drive the loaner. Thats what I do whenever my car is in since I can't get a loaner either.
Old 04-04-07, 08:18 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I'd never loan one of my cars to someone under 21. Or even someone under 25. No offense, but your irate response in the second paragraph wraps everything up pretty well. I was that age once too, so I know where you're coming from. But looking back, I completely understand why things are the way they are.

He has every REASON to be IRATE.

Lexus boasts the fact they give out loaners --- LEXUS loaners at that, yet dealerships fail to tell you little details about the loaners at time of purchase. Had I been told at time of purchase (as I didn't think to ask.. I ASSUMED) that I had to be a certain age for a loaner it wouldn't hurt as much as MAKING an APPOINTMENT, requesting the LOANER and then arriving only to be told NO due to my age? How ridiculous is that. That should be the FIRST question asked before even scheduling an appointment.
Old 04-04-07, 09:25 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
He has every REASON to be IRATE.

Lexus boasts the fact they give out loaners --- LEXUS loaners at that, yet dealerships fail to tell you little details about the loaners at time of purchase. Had I been told at time of purchase (as I didn't think to ask.. I ASSUMED) that I had to be a certain age for a loaner it wouldn't hurt as much as MAKING an APPOINTMENT, requesting the LOANER and then arriving only to be told NO due to my age? How ridiculous is that. That should be the FIRST question asked before even scheduling an appointment.
First, turn the CAPS key off. SParker1tx might have a reason to be upset, but you sure don't.

Second, good point. They probably assume that most Lexus owners are likely to be well over the age of 21, and don't think to ask about their age when requesting a loaner. If you were the service advisor, would you have thought to ask? Be honest...

What I would do is *calmly* suggest to the service manager that they should inquire about the person's age before scheduling a loaner, and leave it at that. It's not something worthy of starting WWIII over.
Old 04-04-07, 09:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Lexus dealer (Lexus of Memphis) was unable to loan me a car when I was 20 and had my GS400. Thankfully I bought the car only a couple months before I turned 21, so I only had to make one trip there without a loaner. Instead they basically had a guy drive me all around town in an RX300 - took me wherever I needed to go - work, grocery store, post office, whatever... lol.

It's really just an issue of expense. Do you have any idea how much more it would cost to insure a fleet of Lexus loaner cars for 18 to 20 year old drivers? Heck, it may not even be an issue of expense, it may just be that nobody will write that kind of policy. I've worked in the insurance industry for 6 years now and can tell you that's extremely likely. So to go to all of that effort for the extremely rare 18 to 20 year old Lexus owner seems kind of silly. I'm sure they would have offered to at least shuttle you around town instead, right?

My dealer also offered to pay for an enterprise rental car for me since enterprise will rent from 18 to 20 on the basis it's a "necessity"... basically meaning you aren't renting just for pleasure or convenience, but because your car is flat out not available to drive due to a wreck or being in for servicing or something. The only reason I declined this is it was only for half a day and the enterprise loaner would have taken almost an hour for them to arrange for me.
Old 04-04-07, 10:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its an insurance issue, their rates to insure a loaner for people under 21 would be crazy. My mom puts 21+ drivers only restrictions on our cars at the house (we dont let anyone borrow our cars anyways so it doesnt bother us) and theres a good amount of savings vs. a policy letting anyone drive
Old 04-04-07, 10:39 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm turning 21 this year...

and to be honest I wouldn't trust myself with a loaner either.

i'm not a crazy driver, my driving record is clean, and my insurance is pretty low for my age, but given the way most people my age behave...

yeah.

if they couldn't give me a loaner i'd just call up my dad and have things done without throwing a fit.
Old 04-04-07, 10:42 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
First, turn the CAPS key off. SParker1tx might have a reason to be upset, but you sure don't.

Second, good point. They probably assume that most Lexus owners are likely to be well over the age of 21, and don't think to ask about their age when requesting a loaner. If you were the service advisor, would you have thought to ask? Be honest...

What I would do is *calmly* suggest to the service manager that they should inquire about the person's age before scheduling a loaner, and leave it at that. It's not something worthy of starting WWIII over.
Oh no I wasn't angry, I was merely emphasing a point that I had to go through.

And I did ask about the age thing. They are not allowed to ask your age, yet make reference to it when they look at your driver's license thats what made me laugh! But like I said.. I got things squared away with my dealer. If I have to travel a state over for warranty work I damn well better have a loaner reguardless of my age. If you can't trust yourself with a loaner you shouldn't be trusted with your own car. I don't get that.. perhaps people who get loaners feel the need to tear them up, hell I'm trying to conserve gas in them! I don't want to pay anymore than I have to get from point A to point B.
Old 04-04-07, 11:14 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

That happened to me when I bought my car and was only 20. i had to hang out at the dealer all day.
Old 04-04-07, 11:49 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vin 78
That happened to me when I bought my car and was only 20. i had to hang out at the dealer all day.
The fun thing about that, is you can look closely at all the different car models on the showfloor. I still do that on instances when the service visit doesn't last for an extended time. I sit in everything, check out the ergonomics, fit and finish, materials, etc. The only problem is fighting off all the salespeople that think you're interested in buying a new car.
Old 04-04-07, 12:49 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Hahah Ya I was looking forward to checking out all the new cars, trying to look on the brighter side of the picture, however the sales department is not at the same place as the service department so that is a no go! But like I was saying earlier I wasent upset about not getting a loaner I was just upset that I had this whole mindset of buying a lexus its nice to have the loaner service that my salesman told me about when buying the car! Its another thing to drive 40 minutes and arrive and have to go back because you have another appointment and they wont give you a loaner and second that they did not tell you on the phone when you made the appointment >.< Whatever, its done with im going today and just gonna do some work while I wait but at least my service rep was very kind about the whole situation!