Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

21 For a Loaner?? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 02:06 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 21 For a Loaner?? WTF!

I went to the dealership today to get the car serviced for its 5,000 mile check-up and told them I would need a loaner. I get there and about 15 minutes into the appointment he asks for my license and insurance. He then goes Oooaahh... I was like crap what now. You have to be 21 to get a Loaner... sorry...

WTF!! If you can buy a car at 16 why the hell cant you get a frikin loaner??!! It really pissed me off! Just venting I guess... but I mean im 18 it at least be 18?? Come on!! Anyways... just wanted to share incase there are any other under 21's out there thinking they'll be getting a loaner when they go in for service....
Old 04-03-07, 02:09 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably for insurance reason... car rental agencies have similar policies.
Old 04-03-07, 02:12 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

it's usually 25
Old 04-03-07, 02:16 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

is the 5000 mile oil change loaner car eligible?
Old 04-03-07, 02:17 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Not all places let you rent a car when you're 21, and even then you get charged a daily fee for being under 25. At 25 you can rent wherever.

BMW said something like that to my GF. Had she been 25, she could've had a new 6-series as a loaner (or something silly like that). Instead, they gave her a crummy Enterprise rent-a-car.
Old 04-03-07, 02:19 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP... not trying to be a jackass, but did YOU buy the car, or your parents? Is the car even in your name? Do you have your own insurance, or are you on your parents?

The perks of buying a luxury car are the nice benefits like getting a loaner. I guess they just expect everyone who can buy a $32-$40K car is over 21.
I'd expect that too.
Old 04-03-07, 02:21 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
my dealership has a 2 hour rule about a loaner. but if you make a stink about it and dont mind waiting an extra week or so...they'll get you in a loaner.

i'm bringing in my car tonight to get the squeaky seat fixed and they're giving me a loaner. i told them that i cant miss a few hours work to wait for a car and that i'm an hour from the dealership. i waited an extra week and the service manager got me a loaner.
Old 04-03-07, 02:26 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I got a loaner at the 5k mile service at Lexus of Glendale, just make sure to make an appointment beforehand and make a request for a loaner.
Old 04-03-07, 02:31 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

seems right..i wouldn't let no kid under 21 borrow my car. now if you wanted to buy it, i could care less how old you are.
Old 04-03-07, 02:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Son, welcome to the real world where business liabilities have real consequences. I think the younger set has been marketed to so much that they feel the business world will do anything to get their business. That is true only to the extent that the business relationship is a win-win for both parties. In this case they don't want to take on the liability (insurance and otherwise) of a young driver who is more apt to get into an accident in a strange car. It's their call. That's just the way it is.
Old 04-03-07, 02:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
I went to the dealership today to get the car serviced for its 5,000 mile check-up and told them I would need a loaner. I get there and about 15 minutes into the appointment he asks for my license and insurance. He then goes Oooaahh... I was like crap what now. You have to be 21 to get a Loaner... sorry...

WTF!! If you can buy a car at 16 why the hell cant you get a frikin loaner??!! It really pissed me off! Just venting I guess... but I mean im 18 it at least be 18?? Come on!! Anyways... just wanted to share incase there are any other under 21's out there thinking they'll be getting a loaner when they go in for service....
all of us were 21 or younger at some point. so we all kinda when thru the same things. i guarantee these rules aren't meant specifically for you to "put you down." we lived with them, so can you. For christ's safe, be happy you're 21 years old, you don't even know how lucky you are...wtf has happened to young people today? do you even know how blessed you are to be twenty-one years old? if i could go back to be 21 and had to walk everywhere i went...i would.
Old 04-03-07, 02:57 PM
pwnobh4
Driver School Candidate

same **** happend to me..and they even ask do u need a bus home...WTF!!
Old 04-03-07, 03:08 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Which Lexus dealer did you go to? I'm 23 now but when I bought my IS300 at 19 the dealership wouldn't give me a LEXUS as a loaner, however they do have Toyota Camry's for the younger people. Trust me I feel your frustration, I was irate, I had my dad go a ***** to see if he could get me one. It didn't work, basically our insurance covers the loaner, but the dealer's insurance picks up what ours will not cover .. Anyhow it was like that until I turned 21. Now with tha 350 and being over 21 they will give me a LEXUS loaner anytime I bring the car in for anything, unless they have tons of service appointments requiring a loaner.. This is Sewell of Fort Worth if your close by check them out, at least you'll get a car
Old 04-03-07, 03:21 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

actually when u are 16, you cannot commit into a legal binding agreement. Don;t know how you got your car loans and such.. but aye. break the agreement.. don;t pay.. they can;t do **** to you.
Old 04-03-07, 03:28 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
For christ's safe
LOL, that one made me laugh

Quick Reply: 21 For a Loaner?? WTF!