Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is This A Case Of The Older Crowd vs. The Newer Crowd

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 07:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally think chrome rims on any car look tacky.
Old 04-04-07, 07:52 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People actually say stuff like that to people? It's times like that I'm glad I live in a big city where no one talks to anyone.
Old 04-04-07, 08:09 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
I hear you guys ripping on Honda owners for ricing out their cars. How is that any different than what happened here?
I actually agree with your point.

I think it's a matter of taste. Some people like their cars stock, and no matter which way you mod it, they have a problem with it. But people also have different tastes for modifications.

-The VIP people might look at the "DUB" and "Ricer" people and think they are tasteless.
-Ricer people might look up to the VIP people, but down upon the DUB
-The Dub might think both are tasteless or plain

In the end, I think it all falls under the same catagory. Is it modded or not? Fact is, that all are modifications done by different people with different tastes. For me personally, I may not like how certain cars are modified, but in the end, everyone has one thing in common: Making their cars out to be unique and of their own. It's funny how we're all trying to get a common goal and yet, end up dissing each based on our personal tastes.

Everyone has a different definition of class. I may not like 30 inch rims on a Caprice or a $100 bodykit on a Civic, but I can respect their sense of style. In the end, you want your car to best define your sense of style, just like the clothes you wear. Whether people think you're classless, dumb, cheap or whatever, you're going to do your thing because it's your car.
Old 04-05-07, 01:17 AM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with a benz e class. I always tell him to throw on some brushed alums on his car. He says he's not ghetto and is grown up. Even Jay-Z said "no chrome on the wheels?Im a grown up for real". It is hard for people that are not CAR people to understanding what modding is really about. sure you can go to your local joint, pick up some ulgy wheens, tints and sounds and you're set. To a true Car Enthusiasts its way more then just shiny wheels. I remember seeing old mecedes and what not when I was younger with custom wheels. Porsches with nice wheels and such. Was it ghetto back then? Not at all. If anything it was the wealthy people that could afford such things. Since everyone is making wheels and what not it is easier to dress up your car. As long as it is done tastefully I see nothing wrong with it. Now, what is tasteful....? Hmmm....maybe another thread.
Old 04-05-07, 06:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
So I make a quick stop to the supermarket and I load my two bags in the backseat when a guy in a LS430 pulls into the space next to me. He then takes his shades off and compliments me on my car. Then he tells me "It's guys like you that tarnish the Lexus name with your spinning rims and those spoilers you put on the trunk". This was coming from a guy who looked like he was in his mid 70's and had a clean but very conservative LS430 with no sort of aftermarket parts installed. Honestly, I was shocked because he just complimented me and a second later he then tells me that I tarnish the Lexus name. Without being rude or anything I just sayed to him that it's my car any and I can do anything with or to it. I figure he was an grumpy old guy and I rather noy pay him any mind. In the end, it was kinda funny that I was accused of "tarnishing" the Lexus name.
Did this old man have the plates O.C.H. on his LS430? j/k

Ok, seriously folks like this old man are not worth your breath. You handled the situation in a classy manner, and exceeded his expectations. He probably thought you were going to beat him up & rob him as well

Unfortunately, we live in a society filled with pre-concieved notions
Old 04-05-07, 07:21 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
So I make a quick stop to the supermarket and I load my two bags in the backseat when a guy in a LS430 pulls into the space next to me. He then takes his shades off and compliments me on my car. Then he tells me "It's guys like you that tarnish the Lexus name with your spinning rims and those spoilers you put on the trunk". This was coming from a guy who looked like he was in his mid 70's and had a clean but very conservative LS430 with no sort of aftermarket parts installed. Honestly, I was shocked because he just complimented me and a second later he then tells me that I tarnish the Lexus name. Without being rude or anything I just sayed to him that it's my car any and I can do anything with or to it. I figure he was an grumpy old guy and I rather noy pay him any mind. In the end, it was kinda funny that I was accused of "tarnishing" the Lexus name.
Let me go against the grain of the thread and say that IF this statement were true and you did have spinners and a wing then you deserved to be told that by someone regardless of age. But in looking at your signature obviously he wasn't referring to you directly and was pointing his criticisms in the wrong direction. But we accept the praise for good modded cars as a group so we have to take the ricer's along as well. His message probably didn't come across as intended which happens.

The guy gave you a compliment about your car so his statement wasn't directed at you personally but he's letting you know that not all mods are good mods and ricers bring down all of us since we all get grouped together (modded vs stock). As someone said, I'd respect my elders and just keep it moving unless it was a personal attack (Guys like you shouldn't be driving a Lex, etc).