Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is This A Case Of The Older Crowd vs. The Newer Crowd

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 07:12 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is This A Case Of The Older Crowd vs. The Newer Crowd

So I make a quick stop to the supermarket and I load my two bags in the backseat when a guy in a LS430 pulls into the space next to me. He then takes his shades off and compliments me on my car. Then he tells me "It's guys like you that tarnish the Lexus name with your spinning rims and those spoilers you put on the trunk". This was coming from a guy who looked like he was in his mid 70's and had a clean but very conservative LS430 with no sort of aftermarket parts installed. Honestly, I was shocked because he just complimented me and a second later he then tells me that I tarnish the Lexus name. Without being rude or anything I just sayed to him that it's my car any and I can do anything with or to it. I figure he was an grumpy old guy and I rather noy pay him any mind. In the end, it was kinda funny that I was accused of "tarnishing" the Lexus name.
Old 04-03-07, 07:23 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

LOL, I've had a few haters tell me I should not be modding my
Lexus because it's "ghetto".

I think they just are either jealous or humorless donkeys like the
guy you just described.

I would do the same. First I'd tell them it's my car and then I'd
politely tell them to **** off.
Old 04-03-07, 07:30 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
So I make a quick stop to the supermarket and I load my two bags in the backseat when a guy in a LS430 pulls into the space next to me. He then takes his shades off and compliments me on my car. Then he tells me "It's guys like you that tarnish the Lexus name with your spinning rims and those spoilers you put on the trunk". This was coming from a guy who looked like he was in his mid 70's and had a clean but very conservative LS430 with no sort of aftermarket parts installed. Honestly, I was shocked because he just complimented me and a second later he then tells me that I tarnish the Lexus name. Without being rude or anything I just sayed to him that it's my car any and I can do anything with or to it. I figure he was an grumpy old guy and I rather noy pay him any mind. In the end, it was kinda funny that I was accused of "tarnishing" the Lexus name.
Well you are not alone. I've had my instances from time to time. They generally aren't as overt. Unfortunately in our society there are people who simply cannot adjust to "changing times", as slow as they may be. You never get used to it and it will always feel uncomfortable to a degree but you just have to consider the source and know who you are.

I've had instances in some of my own cars and some in my family members and just learn to laugh it off and understand their ignorance. I always love it when they crawl into their respective car while clutching their personal items and give me the once over before realizing that I'm getting in a car thats more equally or more expensive than theirs. And thats when the fun begins. You could smell the hate. Some will outright make derogatory remarks or give half azzed compliments like the one you mentioned above. It happens at work, parking lots and even at intersections. You know the look, I'm sure you have gotten it. Some of NYPD's worst are always good for one every now and then.

Though it can be difficult, You just can't let it get to you. Like any segment of life in our society there will always be jealousy or contempt. Though we all know people shouldn't make assumptions based on age, gender, complexion or accent, they unfortuntely do, because of their own insecurities. Enjoy your car the way you like it. Just turn your system down when you see them,
Old 04-03-07, 07:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

yea but it's even worse when people buy knock off parts and throw it on their Lexus like it's some sort of ghetto drift mobile. Kill the Lexus name why don't ya...
Old 04-03-07, 08:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, the vast majority (99%) of people don't mod their Lexus cars in an obvious manner, so any brand-tarnishing aspects are minimal.

And quite frankly, owners have the right to do with their cars as they please.

Also, I think it can help a brand's image with the enthusiast crowd when people take the time to capitalize on their car's potential and enhance it further.

Provided that they do it right. I have seen quite a few badly riced-out cars. And I have seen quite a few nicely done modded cars.

I do agree it is a case of older vs. younger. And I wonder if he felt that driving an LS made him implicitly superior and thus able to insult a GS owner.
Old 04-03-07, 08:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well i guess were all guilty of tarnishing the Lexus name than... LOL ... At least were not seeing Lexus sedans with lift kits and 30'' rims.. I hope it never gets to that but you never know..
Old 04-03-07, 10:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 474 Likes on 364 Posts

I've received nice compliments on ours from the mature crowd. A handful of 70+ and mostly the hot rod types in the 50+ bracket. One 75 YO dude even noticed the polished rib on the front caliper. His first words to me were the car in stock form had too much wheel to fender gap...he liked how ours sat.

I was at a light when some gray haired guy pulled up in his pick-up. He motioned me to rolled the window...my thought was red-neck going to slam me for lowering the LS. He gave me a and said he'd not seen a lowered LS with wheels. He wanted to mod his. (As he drove off, I noticed his Chevy had been chopped, shaved handles, significant drop on some billet type wheels and really nice deep metallic blue paint.)
Old 04-03-07, 11:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

There is nothing wrong with modding.........But many people put ugly/cheap chrome wheels and trim plus an ebay bodykit on a Lexus and that definitely tarnishes the brand.

I went to Lexus dealership on LI and every NEW Lexus had ugly ghetto window trim, cheap chrome aftermarket wheels, and chrome grills. I was shocked. I was asking myself over and over "Am i in the right place?"
Old 04-04-07, 12:59 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

Some people cant stand that everything dosent look like what they want it to look like and have to say it to you thinking that its going to change something. I have my opinions but I try to keep them to myself or if I say something its in a way that is obvious that it is my own opinion and make it constructive so that I can respect the persons choice in expression.
Old 04-04-07, 01:06 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have told him its guys like you that give old folks a bad name by crashing into things and getting into all those accidents. Seriously though, my dad is 75 and I'm not afraid to drive with him. I was just being sarcastic No matter what age, there are a-holes and there are respectful people.
Old 04-04-07, 03:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

There's truth on both sides here. It's not a question of just old guys refusing to "change with the times". Newer and modded is not always "better"...and one's car is not always "free to do with as one pleases"...modding has to be kept within applicable laws, like with percentage of window tint. And, speed limits are still speed limits, regardless of how much extra bolt-on power you give your engine. Engine mods also have to be done right.....if you don't know what you are doing, trying to outguess the factory engineers, you can really mess things up and ruin the engine.

But older ( and even some younger ) guys driving unmodified LS's also have to realize that the world doesn't revolve around them either......not all Lexus drivers want a motorized, soundproofed coccoon like an LS, and some guys just don't care for the stock look. I'm not one of those guys myself...I tend to be conservative.......but I understand the viewpoint of those who do.
Old 04-04-07, 05:37 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I hear you guys ripping on Honda owners for ricing out their cars. How is that any different than what happened here?
Old 04-04-07, 06:30 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Lets see your car
Old 04-04-07, 08:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
IMO, the vast majority (99%) of people don't mod their Lexus cars in an obvious manner, so any brand-tarnishing aspects are minimal.

And quite frankly, owners have the right to do with their cars as they please.

Also, I think it can help a brand's image with the enthusiast crowd when people take the time to capitalize on their car's potential and enhance it further.

Provided that they do it right. I have seen quite a few badly riced-out cars. And I have seen quite a few nicely done modded cars.

I do agree it is a case of older vs. younger. And I wonder if he felt that driving an LS made him implicitly superior and thus able to insult a GS owner.

I don't think it was that serious. Its subjective. He didn't like the look of the OPs car, and he said what he thought. On many subject I agree, alot of times I have to wonder why people change so many things on their cars! Sometimes keeping a stock look .. well, looks ALOT better than going mod crazy. But, to each their own!

Opinions are like.. well you know what I mean -- Everyone has one. :P
Old 04-04-07, 08:20 AM
Gotham
Rookie

I'm not a fan of modding cars at all.

However, I respect those that do and would never tell someone like that to their face when they weren't even asking my opinion. What an ***!

And with the popularity of Lexus it is nice to have some cars that are different so we all aren't all driving the same things.

Quick Reply: Is This A Case Of The Older Crowd vs. The Newer Crowd