Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKTHOUGHT..my new 2nd fav luxury brand is...Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 06:11 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned up an Audi the other day that I think converted me fully to their styling. I was so in love with the look of this car... it's a shame they want so much money for the performance they offer.

Old 04-06-07, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
it's a shame they want so much money for the performance they offer.
Compared to what?
Old 04-06-07, 08:08 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My A4 doesn't look as cool are yours.

Maybe because mine is a base model without the cool wheels and ground effects, and I didn't clean it up for this shot or turn the driving lights on or anything.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well! An Acura RL. ...............You ARE a wise person .
It richly earned a spot on my Ten Best list....along with the RWD Lexus LS460.
Your extremely high opinion of your opinion never ceases to amaze me.
Old 04-06-07, 09:35 AM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well! An Acura RL. ...............You ARE a wise person .

Unless you want a real AWD powerhouse like the Audi S or RS series, I consider the Acura RL to be the best AWD sedan on the market. I found the one I reviewed to be not only an intoxicatingly nice car to drive but built like the combination of a tank and a Swiss Watch as well.
Thanks, I thought the RL was a good decision compared to other AWD luxury sedans back in '05 (A6, 530xi, GS300AWD, M35x). Basically best bang for the buck loaded to the gills. After 2 years, I'm just kinda bored of it. On the other hand, my '06 A4 has less power, less luxury, and less gadgets, yet I find it more fun to drive around. Go figure.
Old 04-06-07, 09:38 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Compared to what?
BMW, Lexus, pretty much everybody.

You can pay 40k for an A4 thats only ~245hp. S4 is slower than an IS350 and 335i and more expensive than both. Etc...
Old 04-06-07, 10:01 AM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
BMW, Lexus, pretty much everybody.

You can pay 40k for an A4 thats only ~245hp. S4 is slower than an IS350 and 335i and more expensive than both. Etc...
I tend to agree on some of their models. The 3.2 A3 can hit $40k when fully optioned. That's an insane price for such a car. It just depends on what you're comparing because a nicley optioned IS250 AWD can hit $45k and so can a 328xi.

Anyhow, most Audi owners know (myself included) that our cars aren't fast. Especially non S/RS models. If anything, I like Audi because it's an underdog marque, often thought of as being below MB, BMW, and Lexus. Truth is, for me it goes back to design, and I like their current design language compared to the makes I just mentioned. Fast and speedy? Not really. Unique? Definitely.
Old 04-06-07, 10:28 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trd4me
I tend to agree on some of their models. The 3.2 A3 can hit $40k when fully optioned. That's an insane price for such a car. It just depends on what you're comparing because a nicley optioned IS250 AWD can hit $45k and so can a 328xi.

Anyhow, most Audi owners know (myself included) that our cars aren't fast. Especially non S/RS models. If anything, I like Audi because it's an underdog marque, often thought of as being below MB, BMW, and Lexus. Truth is, for me it goes back to design, and I like their current design language compared to the makes I just mentioned. Fast and speedy? Not really. Unique? Definitely.
You don't have to justify it to me...I love them. My family just bought an A8 last summer and I love it.

Depending on the budget I get for my next car I might consider a 2.0T A4 and chip it if I can't get something faster. Great looking, gas mileage, and just as much power as the 3.2.

I too think that Audi has the best looking line up overall of all the luxury makes right now.
Old 04-06-07, 11:10 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Well - my Audi stickered at 30.5k and the lease price is far less than that... my payment for 2 years, 15k miles a year all maintenance included, with tax is 389/month, zero down. That's about what a moderately equipped V6 Accord would have cost me to lease. I'd say that's not too shabby.

It's a blast to drive, and I think 15.1 @ 93 is pretty respectable. I haven't seen any IS250 guys post quicker times. My GS400 wasn't much faster, and more interestingly the A4 feels substantially quicker, I think because it's a stick, has more NVH, and because of the power onset from the turbo - it's a cool feeling.

The 2.0T is quicker than it looks on paper due to a great torque curve that maintains 95% of its peak torque from 1800 rpm all the way up to almost redline.

The 3.2 on the other hand, at 255hp is behind the times. For 2008 I think it's gaining maybe 10 more ponies - at least for the A5 it is. But still... the new standard is 300+. Lexus, Infiniti, Caddy, Mercedes, and BMW all have their competing models with that kind of power available in non-sport trim... Acura and Audi are the only ones left, and Acura I suspect will pass the 300 mark with its impending revision of the TL based on the new 08 Accord... so I don't know what Audi is thinking not getting with it. Maybe we'll see a revised 6-cyl for the 2009 model year?

The S4 needs a serious boost in power or reduction in weight, too - 340hp with a 0-60 barely better than the IS350 and a 1/4-mile that is about the same if not worse, is just embarrassing for somebody who dropped that kind of coin.

Of course the handling and chassis dynamics are still to die for, but when you drop as much as you do on an S4 I guess you'd expect something more...
Old 04-06-07, 11:12 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by picus
It's amazing how that front grill has grown on me. I've gone from hating to loving it.
Old 04-06-07, 01:21 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I'm with the Audi bandwagon here. Not sure if' they're actually my #2 but they (and Porsche) are the last German Luxury car maker who is still carrying forth the torch for true teutonic design. I mean, MB and BMW have somehow globalized or Americanized thier design sensibilities while Audi still embodies everything great about German design from the exterior to the interior.
Old 04-06-07, 01:26 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Picus. I love the way they look and drive, if Audi released something comparable to the 335i for a similar price, I'd seriously consider one as my next car. It's hard to beat BMW's European Delivery savings though. It puts a loaded 335i in Lexus IS350 price category easily.
Old 04-06-07, 01:37 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

I was thinking about S4 Avant (wagon).
I was turned off by 3 things:
1) Small inside - it really feels like a tiny car.
2) Heavy (3800+lbs) car with poor fuel economy (15 in the city).
3) Expensive ($55K+).

I am sure it is a great car to drive, but I don't know about living with it on a day-to-day basis.
Also, for RS4 price, you can get 2 Evos
The best way would be to get an A4 2.0T and "massage" it to S4's level. Problem is, CA is not mod-friendly state (emissions and visual checks) - this is keeping me from changing my Evo.

I guess, I am not excited by any new car out there at the moment (including Lexus) when I think of actually owning it.
Old 04-06-07, 03:05 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Threxx
The S4 needs a serious boost in power or reduction in weight, too - 340hp with a 0-60 barely better than the IS350 and a 1/4-mile that is about the same if not worse, is just embarrassing for somebody who dropped that kind of coin.

Of course the handling and chassis dynamics are still to die for, but when you drop as much as you do on an S4 I guess you'd expect something more...
I love the S4...I would look at getting one, but for the price of a new one I can have a 335i. That and gas mileage is the suck, also I have no need for AWD.

The problem is that the S4 is already overpriced. Actually, the 3.2 A4 needs 30 more hp and it can keep its price. The S4 either needs 30-40 more hp or a drop in price to maybe 40-41k. But if you make it much faster, you realize the RS4 is much pricier. I don't know. I personally think (even though I like both S and RS lines) Audi screwed the S line by having so many performance tiers.
Old 04-06-07, 07:31 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Compared to what?
Sorry if you don't agree. In the segment I am in Audi offers nothing comparable for the same price as their competitors. For example, an S4/S5, which barely matches the performance of an IS350/335i/G35 costs ~10k more. It's a nice looking car, and I honestly like them, but it's too much of a premium for nothing gained, imo.
Old 04-06-07, 11:08 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I love the looks of the Audi and it's great value, but I can't rank it as my 2nd favorite luxury brand.

For some reason Audi cars seems to be quite porky, oh well must the AWD.

Quick Reply: 1SICKTHOUGHT..my new 2nd fav luxury brand is...Audi